I like the advice about quiet smoking, it is always best in silence,
no?

:yawn:

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Re: Quiet Smoking

Post by Winton » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:48 am

I am confused. Did they mean quit smoking instead of quiet smoking? Doesn't make sense for a smoke shop to provide ways to stop using their product.

But usually, I am quiet when I smoke. Except in the smoking tent or at my pipe club meetings. Since we are almost all guys, we just keep talking louder until we can be heard.

** OK, now I see the words on the picture. Normally my pipe is silent, except for an occasional crinkle or gurgle. That obviously can't be heard during our club meetings.

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:14 am

I don't regularly check the UK shops, so I was a bit surprised to see the Germain packed in a pouch, perhaps a recent change due to implementation of the new regs?

I am quiet while smoking 99.5% of the time.

On the rare occasion that I may be engaged in conversation while pipesmoking, if I talk too much my pipe goes out because although I can understandably speak well while clenching, I'm just not a great clencher --- perhaps pipesmokers are better listeners for this reason? :pipe:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:47 am

Reminds me of a series of misprinted shotgun shell boxes sold by Fiocchi several years ago.

The boxes were labeled, "Fiocchi Golden Peasant" shotgun shells.
I imagined British gentry using them to hunt the townsfolk.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:59 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:47 am
Reminds me of a series of misprinted shotgun shell boxes sold by Fiocchi several years ago.

The boxes were labeled, "Fiocchi Golden Peasant" shotgun shells.
I imagined British gentry using them to hunt the townsfolk.
Heh. I've heard of those but never have seen them. I'd gladly buy an empty box for amusement purposes. I like the shells, too.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:56 am

TheImpudent called, he says that he has become enraged.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Winton wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:48 am
I am confused. Did they mean quit smoking instead of quiet smoking? Doesn't make sense for a smoke shop to provide ways to stop using their product.
Yes, they meant quit smoking. The warning labels in Europe are quite graphic. Back when I dipped snuff, one of my kids came home from school crying because the Dare officer convinced her I was going to drop dead any second. She'd probably pass out cold if she saw these warning labels when she was young.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:49 pm

philofumo wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:14 am
I don't regularly check the UK shops, so I was a bit surprised to see the Germain packed in a pouch, perhaps a recent change due to implementation of the new regs?

I am quiet while smoking 99.5% of the time.

On the rare occasion that I may be engaged in conversation while pipesmoking, if I talk too much my pipe goes out because although I can understandably speak well while clenching, I'm just not a great clencher --- perhaps pipesmokers are better listeners for this reason? :pipe:
In high tob tax states shedding more expensive tin packaging for lower cost pouch results in more sales. It's just another devious way that the tobacco companies use to lower prices and lure more into the death trap. LOL! That's the anti's pov.

Likewise putting tobacco back in a tin, as Mac Baren did with the Imperial tobaccos, makes it a premium tobacco. Especially when they plan to price it as a super-premium this is a good move. At least you get something for your money. It's just another devious way that the tobacco companies use to raise prices and make it seem like a desirable luxury experience. LOL! That too is the anti's pov.

That's probably collectible because the warning is clearly misspelled. The antis would retort that soon you'll be dead and that's the ultimate quiet. You can't win with anti's.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 pm

I typically am sitting outside after dark enjoying a bowl with a beverage and often listening to a baseball game. So, quiet for the most part. That said, I frequently smoke at JFH on my visits and that's usually a very communicative circumstance. I enjoy both.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:42 pm

parson wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 pm
I typically am sitting outside after dark enjoying a bowl with a beverage and often listening to a baseball game. So, quiet for the most part. That said, I frequently smoke at JFH on my visits and that's usually a very communicative circumstance. I enjoy both.
A time for every pipe. I do enjoy my quiet smokes while sipping coffee to start the day/ I enjoy my quiet pipes while sipping whiskey at the end of the day. I enjoy smoking while surfing CPS, or studying, or working on a project. I also enjoy having a smoke during good conversations.

I sometimes forget that many of you have quit smoking, quiet or otherwise.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:53 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:42 pm
parson wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 pm
A time for every pipe. I do enjoy my quiet smokes while sipping coffee to start the day/ I enjoy my quiet pipes while sipping whiskey at the end of the day. I enjoy smoking while surfing CPS, or studying, or working on a project. I also enjoy having a smoke during good conversations.

I sometimes forget that many of you have quit smoking, quiet or otherwise.
Mom didn't raise me to be a quitter. If anything, I'm picking up the slack for everyone who has quit.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image