Unique smoking habits

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Unique smoking habits

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 pm

What are some pipe smoking habits that you have that you've noticed are seemingly unique to you?

I almost always tamp with my index finger and rarely if ever remove the buildup from the rim of the bowl, for example. I also haven't actually knocked the remaining ash from a smoked pipe in years now. I use the pick on my pipe tool to remove the ashes. After that I run a pipe cleaner through it and put it back on the rack or in my pocket. I almost never do anything more in the way of cleaning a pipe unless it really, really needs it, which, I find, it rarely does.

I can't say that such practices are unique to me entirely, but I know that they differ from other's smoking habits.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Re: Unique smoking habits

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:41 am

I don't know if it's unique or not, but I spit...a lot. Pipe smoking leads to salivation and I can't seem to bring myself to swallow my pipe spit unless I very deliberately force myself. I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps a subconscious fear of getting an upset stomach from swallowing tobacco juice.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 am

Until recently all my pipe smoking was done with it being the sole activity. I mean I don't smoke and read a book, or smoke and mow the lawn or... I just smoke my pipe, or I did. Since I got a pipe from my Secret Santa, it is just the perfect size and shape and the stem fits me. So I am able to fish and smoke, clean pipes and smoke as well as other activities. It is taking some getting used to.

But I am still just smoking my pipe when I am smoking one of my other pipes.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 am
Until recently all my pipe smoking was done with it being the sole activity. I mean I don't smoke and read a book, or smoke and mow the lawn or... I just smoke my pipe, or I did. Since I got a pipe from my Secret Santa, it is just the perfect size and shape and the stem fits me. So I am able to fish and smoke, clean pipes and smoke as well as other activities. It is taking some getting used to.

But I am still just smoking my pipe when I am smoking one of my other pipes.
Same. With the exception of static activities like watching TV or working in the computer, my pipe smoking is the sol activity happening when I'm pipe smoking. I've tried the lawn mowing, working in the garden, even walking the dog... always failed. Then again maybe it's just the walking-and-smoking thing, not necessarily the rest of the activity.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am

Smoking while shooting. My marksmanship is better if I have a pipe in my gob, especially with long guns.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:04 am

I fear I know far to little of others' habits to know if any of mine are unique.

I rarely clench.

Mostly, I smoke while talking with others, strolling out to the mailbox or around the yard and gardens by myself or with my wife, or in the past and now again while taking a break during or after a day of fishing while sitting on a river bank or the tailgate of a truck before cleaning birds. Sometimes, I simply smoke and think. I'm fortunate to have an office in a separate building at home, the place where a I study and write, where I can smoke indoors during foul weather.

Always, the pipe is in my left hand, even when it's in my mouth for a sip.

Sometimes, when cleaning pipes and even while smoking (and especially if I'm outside in daylight) I get lost simply looking at the shape of the pipe, the grain or rustication much as I might while watching a campfire. Or, lost in trying to decipher what I'm tasting, especially when I'm trying a new tobacco or in the process of breaking in a new pipe.

A pipe is as much a delight to me as a piece of sculpture or a painting, and in much the same way. My admiration for those who make those that are most beautiful is, likewise, quite similar. For this reason, I think I'm probably more fastidious about keeping the exterior of my pipes clean.

I have a terrible habit of turning damn near every activity I love (this includes hunting and fishing, shotguns, bamboo rods and antique British reels and the few fancy salmon flies I've managed to acquire over the years) into an aesthetic experience. I hope this does not sound pompous. I can be a silly ass. But left to my own devices this is where my mind wanders and where I get lost.

I would include watching setters or any bird dog work in the list, but they are hardly objects. Few things are as beautiful. But this is the sort of beauty you see in a friend, not a thing.

And in all of it, I see God's loving hand.

And damn, that was far more long-winded a response than I thought it would be when I began. At the outset I was afraid I would have nothing much to say.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 am

I don't smoke all the way down. I don't even like the bottom 1/4 of a bowl. But I will save the dottle, dry it, and top the next bowl.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am
Smoking while shooting. My marksmanship is better if I have a pipe in my gob, especially with long guns.
You see, that's why I've hesitated to post here. The only thing I could even think might be unique about my smoking, Jim and I share. On the skeet field, if I find myself thinking rather than reacting, I'll smoke a pipe. I have to feel the shot, not think about it.

I haven't seen anybody recently loaf his pipe with ribbon or shag by mounding it in his left hand, inverting the pipe and making circles over the mound until it's magically filled, but considering that's the way I was taught there must be others.

About the only thing I could think of that would be truly unique is the pattern my teeth put on the stem.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am

I haven't seen anybody recently loaf his pipe with ribbon or shag by mounding it in his left hand, inverting the pipe and making circles over the mound until it's magically filled, but considering that's the way I was taught there must be others.
Were you actually taught this? Just curious as that is old school...like archaeologically old school.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 am

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 am
hugodrax wrote:

Were you actually taught this? Just curious as that is old school...like archaeologically old school.
Yes, I was. I was taught to smoke correctly in the mid to late '90's by a fellow at the shop that noted me struggling. Mr. Campbell would have been in his mid 70's then. I'm surprised other people don't do it. It's surprisingly simple and effective. The bowl is loaded in under ten seconds and loaded perfectly. It even has that rifled twist das was on about.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:41 am

I'm a bit of a weirdo anyway, but particularly when it comes to pipe smoking.

I tend to smoke a pipe for a week or two or even more before cleaning it up a little and put it on the rack or some other spot in the garage or back porch or under the carport. If it gurggles that's ok. Hot spot, spitting sparks? That's ok. A little extra light and sound can be comforting, like seeing the small LED on the voice amplifier on my helmet, inside a dark smoke filled building, back when I was a firefighter. Especially so late at night outside looking up at stars and airplanes going across the sky.

I could go on, but that's ok. Durango and others captured much of what I'd say.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:41 am
I'm a bit of a weirdo anyway, but particularly when it comes to pipe smoking.

I tend to smoke a pipe for a week or two or even more before cleaning it up a little and put it on the rack or some other spot in the garage or back porch or under the carport. If it gurggles that's ok. Hot spot, spitting sparks? That's ok. A little extra light and sound can be comforting, like seeing the small LED on the voice amplifier on my helmet, inside a dark smoke filled building, back when I was a firefighter. Especially so late at night outside looking up at stars and airplanes going across the sky.

I could go on, but that's ok. Durango and others captured much of what I'd say.
Yes, Durango did particularly well. I'm with you on the single smoker thing. Many, many times I smoke the bejaysus out of a pipe before cleaning it and putting it away for a while. Particularly if it's new to me and I'm training it.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:
You see, that's why I've hesitated to post here. The only thing I could even think might be unique about my smoking, Jim and I share. On the skeet field, if I find myself thinking rather than reacting, I'll smoke a pipe. I have to feel the shot, not think about it.

About the only thing I could think of that would be truly unique is the pattern my teeth put on the stem.
I would like more details on this method
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:41 am
I don't know if it's unique or not, but I spit...a lot. Pipe smoking leads to salivation and I can't seem to bring myself to swallow my pipe spit unless I very deliberately force myself. I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps a subconscious fear of getting an upset stomach from swallowing tobacco juice.
Nope. I'm the same way. I spit anytime I'm smoking a pipe or cigar. The only time it's somewhat inconvenient is when my father in law and his father in law (my grandfather in law) make a venture to Boswells. I've just grabbed a small bottle of water, drank it while I was selecting a cigar, and used it as a spitter. I find the tobacco saliva irritates my throat a bit, as well. Most of the time, I'm smoking by myself in my yard or behind the house in the woods, and I just spit wherever I please.

I'm not sure if this is unique to me either, however, I do not like to drink anything while smoking. I think it alters the taste of both the beverage and tobacco, and makes them both worse. I find the effect particularly adverse to coffee of all things, so I won't have a smoke until I'm finished with my morning coffee. Sometimes this isn't until mid afternoon. I also don't like to drink beer while I'm eating, for the same reason.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm
hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I would like more details on this method
Details? Take a little more tobacco than you think you need, place it in the palm of your left hand. Fluff it up a little. Take your pipe, hold the stummel upside down in your right hand, and press it down into the mound of tobacco. Make concentric clockwise circles until almost all of it has disappeared into the bowl. Put the remaining tobacco back into the pouch. Press it down a little with your thumbs. Light tobacco. Smoke.

If you're left handed, reverse everything.

To the expectorating fellows: I like you both. I hope to meet you someday. Please refrain from smoking in my presence. :D

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 am
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Yes, I was. I was taught to smoke correctly in the mid to late '90's by a fellow at the shop that noted me struggling. Mr. Campbell would have been in his mid 70's then. I'm surprised other people don't do it. It's surprisingly simple and effective. The bowl is loaded in under ten seconds and loaded perfectly. It even has that rifled twist das was on about.
I haven't seen anyone use that method, under the age of 80, since the mid '90's. Old school respect.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:49 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I haven't seen anyone use that method, under the age of 80, since the mid '90's. Old school respect.
I will try this the next time I smoke some shag.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:49 pm
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Works with ribbon and rubbed out flake, too.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:49 pm
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Works with ribbon and rubbed out flake, too.
Yep. I'm going to try this.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Maybe more of a pipe preference than a smoking habit, but I like to file off the p-lip portion of my Peterson stems. I’m a clencher and I find this to be the most comfortable bit shape. More meat than a typical saddle without the weird angle of the p-lip.