Unique smoking habits

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Unique smoking habits

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm

I haven't done it in a while, but for a spell my pipe uniqueness was I smoked it in a local library, Post Office, PetsMart, WalMart, Hardware stores, and the whiskey store. Might be other places. But haven't been that much of a rebel in a while.

I blame FredSfor that.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:34 pm

colton wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:01 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:49 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am

I haven't seen anybody recently loaf his pipe with ribbon or shag by mounding it in his left hand, inverting the pipe and making circles over the mound until it's magically filled, but considering that's the way I was taught there must be others.
Were you actually taught this? Just curious as that is old school...like archaeologically old school.
Yes, I was. I was taught to smoke correctly in the mid to late '90's by a fellow at the shop that noted me struggling. Mr. Campbell would have been in his mid 70's then. I'm surprised other people don't do it. It's surprisingly simple and effective. The bowl is loaded in under ten seconds and loaded perfectly. It even has that rifled twist das was on about.
I haven't seen anyone use that method, under the age of 80, since the mid '90's. Old school respect.
I will try this the next time I smoke some shag.
Works with ribbon and rubbed out flake, too.
Yep. I'm going to try this.
I always had better luck with small to medium pipes, though. Its been years but it always worked great with my old Grabows and Kaywoodies.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:21 am

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:34 pm
colton wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I haven't seen anybody recently loaf his pipe with ribbon or shag by mounding it in his left hand, inverting the pipe and making circles over the mound until it's magically filled, but considering that's the way I was taught there must be others.
Were you actually taught this? Just curious as that is old school...like archaeologically old school.
Yes, I was. I was taught to smoke correctly in the mid to late '90's by a fellow at the shop that noted me struggling. Mr. Campbell would have been in his mid 70's then. I'm surprised other people don't do it. It's surprisingly simple and effective. The bowl is loaded in under ten seconds and loaded perfectly. It even has that rifled twist das was on about.
I haven't seen anyone use that method, under the age of 80, since the mid '90's. Old school respect.
I always had better luck with small to medium pipes, though. Its been years but it always worked great with my old Grabows and Kaywoodies.
You're going to have to demonstrate this at the next hootenanny. I don't think that I've ever seen this done and I'm having difficulty even picturing the method that you're talking about.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am

colton wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 pm
Maybe more of a pipe preference than a smoking habit, but I like to file off the p-lip portion of my Peterson stems. I’m a clencher and I find this to be the most comfortable bit shape. More meat than a typical saddle without the weird angle of the p-lip.
I've done this to all my P-Lips too. P-Lip is either love or hate.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am
colton wrote:
Maybe more of a pipe preference than a smoking habit, but I like to file off the p-lip portion of my Peterson stems. I’m a clencher and I find this to be the most comfortable bit shape. More meat than a typical saddle without the weird angle of the p-lip.
I'm speechless with horror. Why not just buy a fishtail?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
colton wrote:
I'm speechless with horror. Why not just buy a fishtail?

After the first I did this to, the rest were gifts.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
colton wrote:
Sid?

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:34 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
colton wrote:
Sid?
All of my Petes are fishtails for this reason.

Never saw the need to direct the stream of smoke to the roof of my mouth, but I guess it makes smoking more comfortable for many people or they wouldn't have lasted so long.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:07 pm

For my part, I love the P-Lip and would willingly purchase more. All of my Petersons have the P-Lip.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:31 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:21 am
UncleBob wrote:
colton wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

You're going to have to demonstrate this at the next hootenanny. I don't think that I've ever seen this done and I'm having difficulty even picturing the method that you're talking about.
If you are going to give instruction at the get together, I may have to join the get together!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:31 pm
A_Morley wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
colton wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

If you are going to give instruction at the get together, I may have to join the get together!
This? I use this method fairly often.... because of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs&list=PLCAD83381F25DAB34
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I own one Pete, and it's a p-lip, and it's the worst smoking pipe I own. The p-lip just adds to the annoyance I think.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:08 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:46 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
colton wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Yup.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:09 pm

JimVH wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
colton wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Well look at that! I thought that was arcane, hoary lore only for the elect. Oh no! I've said too much! Forgiv......... <*croak*>

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:24 pm

That's my favourite way to pack a bowl.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:39 pm

JimVH wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
colton wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Sorcery!!!! I'm going to have to try this!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:39 am

I've also used the magic upside-down pipe fill method now and then. It can be a little messy, though, so often I will just fill by digging into the pouch like you might normally, and then repeatedly tapping the side of the bowl firmly, which settles the 'baccy into the bowl pretty admirably, without compressing it. I just top it of with another sprinkle from the pouch, and then tidy it up with a tamper, or my finger.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:29 pm

I just tried performing this wizardry. It worked perfectly with some OGS, which I am now enjoying. I can hardly wait to impress my friends with it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm really glad for your enthusiasm but if you press your pipe onto tobacco or press tobacco into your pipe, it's simply the same.

I'm sorry I can't share your joy.

I've done both, it's really nothing to be excited about, unless you need a certain excitement about putting pipe tobacco into a pipe.

EDIT: ONE WORD

BUZZ KILL
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:07 pm
For my part, I love the P-Lip and would willingly purchase more. All of my Petersons have the P-Lip.
I agree with Mr. Morley. I have 3 Petersons all which have P-Lips and would enjoy more.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder