FDA postpones cigar and pipe tobacco rules

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: FDA postpones cigar and pipe tobacco rules

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:57 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:08 pm
Regarding the "younger generation" and tobacco use:

I'm not sure what generation we're talking about, but my son is 41. He sees pipe smoking as a healthy alternative to cigarettes, and although he isn't into "hip," a lot of his hip colleagues are pipe smokers, and so are many in the generation younger than his.

They just might have the political clout to save fine tobacco, pipes and even cigars from extinction. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing that can happen would be for lack of demand, not regulation and taxation, to drive cigarettes and vaping to extinction in the US. Time will tell.

I choose to see the extension before imposition of the deeming regs as a glass half full.

Meanwhile, I'll keep stocking my cellar and bequeath the unsmoked leaf to my son.
I'm 31 and nearly everyone around my age thinks it's the worst thing the world has ever seen. People of my generation have been conditioned to view anything tobacco related negatively.
Yes, the anti's called it the campaign to 'denormalize' tobacco. And it encouraged intolerance too. Crucifixion is on the horizon. If one is interested you can chart our descent in the social hierarchy. I think we're just worse than child molesters at the present time in many places because we kill at a distance. Somebody told them that tobacco smoke can kill in 30 minutes. Our presence acts to recruit the innocent. It's not just the younger generations either. My father is in his 90's and he has become a virulent anti-tobacco nut. It's odd because he smoked from 7 yo right through until his late 70's. He will ask if I still haven't gotten the message about tobacco and then start up the anti-campaign. I used to enjoy this more when he tried this with his sister in the room because she would tell stories about his early tobacco use. This diffuses the anti-campaign. If I'm looking for ashtrays at his place he tells me that he threw them all out. It's never true and I tell him that these are family heirlooms and must go into his will. He doesn't know about my tobacco collection and being a child of the Depression this sort of thing is beyond his imagination. Having more than one pipe is traumatic enough. But he cycles through questions about the cost of tobacco and asking where I get it. In the good ole' days he used to go to a decent tobacconist and have them send me 8 oz of tobacco every month for my birthday. Not anymore and he likes to deny that.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:19 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:57 am
durangopipe wrote:
Regarding the "younger generation" and tobacco use:

I'm not sure what generation we're talking about, but my son is 41. He sees pipe smoking as a healthy alternative to cigarettes, and although he isn't into "hip," a lot of his hip colleagues are pipe smokers, and so are many in the generation younger than his.

They just might have the political clout to save fine tobacco, pipes and even cigars from extinction. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing that can happen would be for lack of demand, not regulation and taxation, to drive cigarettes and vaping to extinction in the US. Time will tell.

I choose to see the extension before imposition of the deeming regs as a glass half full.

Meanwhile, I'll keep stocking my cellar and bequeath the unsmoked leaf to my son.
I'm 31 and nearly everyone around my age thinks it's the worst thing the world has ever seen. People of my generation have been conditioned to view anything tobacco related negatively.
Yes, the anti's called it the campaign to 'denormalize' tobacco. And it encouraged intolerance too. Crucifixion is on the horizon. If one is interested you can chart our descent in the social hierarchy. I think we're just worse than child molesters at the present time in many places because we kill at a distance. Somebody told them that tobacco smoke can kill in 30 minutes. Our presence acts to recruit the innocent. It's not just the younger generations either. My father is in his 90's and he has become a virulent anti-tobacco nut. It's odd because he smoked from 7 yo right through until his late 70's. He will ask if I still haven't gotten the message about tobacco and then start up the anti-campaign. I used to enjoy this more when he tried this with his sister in the room because she would tell stories about his early tobacco use. This diffuses the anti-campaign. If I'm looking for ashtrays at his place he tells me that he threw them all out. It's never true and I tell him that these are family heirlooms and must go into his will. He doesn't know about my tobacco collection and being a child of the Depression this sort of thing is beyond his imagination. Having more than one pipe is traumatic enough. But he cycles through questions about the cost of tobacco and asking where I get it. In the good ole' days he used to go to a decent tobacconist and have them send me 8 oz of tobacco every month for my birthday. Not anymore and he likes to deny that.
Boy, is that the truth. Amazing how vilified we are sometimes. I had a guest the other day get quite salty about the fact that I was smoking on our patio. Apparently I was killing her overweight little kids. And what do you do? Besides a mental note that her and her family weren't worth knowing, there wasn't much I could do besides finish my pipe. I sent the kids inside.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:00 pm

In US public schools, the DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) programs taught my children that I was going to drop dead at any moment because I used tobacco. One actually came home from school (perhaps third or fourth grade) crying because she was so scared. WTF we have police officers in schools teaching children about tobacco use is beyond me, but there they are. When did the legal use of tobacco get lumped in with the abuse of illegal drugs and why is such teaching a law enforcement issue?

But, and this is a big but, I've worked on my own children and their friends to show them that tobacco can be enjoyed sensibly just like alcohol and caffeine. If we frame the issue as a liberty that can be enjoyed by adults instead of a danger to babies and kittens then it's a lot less offensive.

There's a lesson here for all you peeps with young children - Teach then it's OK to question what their teachers say and to contrast it with what they see in real life. And by all means, feel free to tell them if something they've been taught is simply not true. Or nuanced. Trust me, your fourth grader getting sent to the principals office is not a big deal. The way out of this mess we all complain about is to raise critical thinkers who can balance the good and the bad and make up their own minds.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:00 pm
In US public schools, the DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) programs taught my children that I was going to drop dead at any moment because I used tobacco. One actually came home from school (perhaps third or fourth grade) crying because she was so scared. WTF we have police officers in schools teaching children about tobacco use is beyond me, but there they are. When did the legal use of tobacco get lumped in with the abuse of illegal drugs and why is such teaching a law enforcement issue?

But, and this is a big but, I've worked on my own children and their friends to show them that tobacco can be enjoyed sensibly just like alcohol and caffeine. If we frame the issue as a liberty that can be enjoyed by adults instead of a danger to babies and kittens then it's a lot less offensive.

There's a lesson here for all you peeps with young children - Teach then it's OK to question what their teachers say and to contrast it with what they see in real life. And by all means, feel free to tell them if something they've been taught is simply not true. Or nuanced. Trust me, your fourth grader getting sent to the principals office is not a big deal. The way out of this mess we all complain about is to raise critical thinkers who can balance the good and the bad and make up their own minds.
Spot on. It's not just the public schools, either. But it's been a great learning experience for my kids.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 pm
FredS wrote:

Spot on. It's not just the public schools, either. But it's been a great learning experience for my kids.
I understand I'm preaching to the choir here. A Christian Pipe Smoker probably spends more time talking with their kids 'round the dinner table than the gen pop. That's the best time and place imaginable to counter all the nonsense peddled to our kids these days.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:04 pm

FredS wrote:

Yes! This is another episode almost 20 years ago. Same thing. My son came home from school and told us that we were dying. And the best part was that tobacco contains "Hydrogen See-anide" and they execute people using Hydrogen See-anide in the US. I said that's Cyanide not Seeanide, some of the anti-tobacco crusaders actually suffer from severe brain damage and it affects their speech. Now they just sedate them to death. No Hydrogen Cyanide. Apparently there were a lot of teary eyed children that weren't expecting to be orphans that week. We had a long talk about tobacco. Go forward almost 20 years and my son with his gf is in town for our family Christmas just this past year and he is smoking cigarettes again. I thought he had quit. So I ask how's the Hydrogen Seeanide? That got a chuckle. He remembers.

The same sort of people told him the previous year that we were running out of oxygen because we cut down trees.

They can't teach arithmetic but they are cracker-jacks on tobacco and trees.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thanks dad
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Fortunately, it appears this old fart managed to get his child through public school before the antis gained control of his mind. He took up the pipe before I did.

My grandchildren hang out with us when we puff and do not fear our imminent death. At least one more generation of durangopipes will grow up telling tales filled with fond memories of granddad and dad smoking pipes together.

The tobacco cellar grows - just in case.

Your post popped up as I was writing, Tuttle. Shall I commence filing formal adoption papers?
Perhaps drax will help with the legal work.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:04 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:22 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 pm
FredS wrote:

I understand I'm preaching to the choir here. A Christian Pipe Smoker probably spends more time talking with their kids 'round the dinner table than the gen pop. That's the best time and place imaginable to counter all the nonsense peddled to our kids these days.
With any luck and a little grace, you too can raise pipe-smoking saints!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4