Math question

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
HBR
Congregation
Congregation

Math question

Post by HBR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 am

Most of us on CPS have more than one or two pipes, but I wonder what percentage of our collections we actually smoke fairly often. What percent do we smoke in, say, a month, or six months, or a year?

I was surprised to realize that for the past year I have smoked only about 5 or 6 percent of the total number in my modest collection. Sometimes we're amazed to meet someone (usually not on CPS) who has only 2 or 3 pipes, but considering how many we have are we really much different when it comes to percentages of those we actually smoke? For the past six months I think I've smoked only two of mine, but I have dozens of them on the shelf.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Math question

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:39 am

That's why I think when one finds a pipe size and shape they really enjoy, they should then only acquire pipes that are similar.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:45 am

I have put myself on a kind of rotation...its not set in stone or anything. I found I was smoking only 4 or 5 pipes and had even forgotten some of my favs. So I have started smoking them and whipping them off after a month and then moving on to some of the others.

Now I need to start taking pics of them and posting since the old pics are gone thanks to the photo hosting site that shall remain nameless...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am

I'd have to put a pencil to it, but I suspect the majority of my smoking is done with less than 10% of my pipes.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:58 am

over a year - 100% of pipes several times.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am
I'd have to put a pencil to it, but I suspect the majority of my smoking is done with less than 10% of my pipes.
I am thinking you should post pics of the 90% pipes that don't see use and we can help you whittle that number down a little. 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm
JimVH wrote:
I am thinking you should post pics of the 90% pipes that don't see use and we can help you whittle that number down a little. 8)
I've actually culled several recently for that very purpose, but I've been lax in getting them photoed and posted.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm

I have 10 pipes that get smoked fairly frequently. That's about 1/3 of my collection. I have a 6 pipe rack of pipes that I don't smoke but I either like the look of the pipe or it has sentimental value. I have a dozen more high end pipes that I only smoke on special occasions. I've sold off all the ones I didn't want for whatever reason. I have narrowed my new pipe purchases to ones that meet certain size criteria as Goose mentioned. I pretty much only smoke group 3 sized pipes with chamber depths no more than 1.5" and weights no more than 1.5 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:06 pm

30 or 31 pipes, I would have to count to be sure. I have smoked them all in the past year.
I smoke about 10 of those a few times per month.
The next ten about once per month.
The bottom third, I do not have much against, I just have to remind myself to smoke them for various reasons.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:31 am

Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Count me in on that whiddle!
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:20 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
I've actually culled several recently for that very purpose, but I've been lax in getting them photoed and posted.
We could speed things up and just send you shipping addresses. Then you don't have to worry about pictures, posts, or pricing. You just ship the pipes out to people who would give them the attention that they deserve. :D
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

HBR
Congregation
Congregation

Post by HBR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 am

It's truly heartwarming to see how many on CPS are willing to adopt our neglected pipes and give them the attention they deserve. It's good to know there are such caring people in this mean old world!

Think I'm going to hold on to all of mine, however, even if some don't get smoked very often. Every pipe in my collection is a reminder of some milestone event in my life, a new place I visited, or a deceased relative or friend who passed the pipe to me. If I were a more active trader/collector with pipes lacking sentimental value I'm sure it would be different. I'd be glad to see those less used pipes go to people who would smoke them more.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 am

I use 75% of my pipes. 3 of 4.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:18 am

I guess in the spirit of the thread, I should answer the question. I own a total of 15, but 7 are estate pipes still in need of refurbishing, and 1 is the gas station junk pipe that was my first (but probably would be more useful being converted into a pipe-shaped pen or used to prop open a door). Of the seven remaining, four get regular usage and the others get extremely limited usage. So, I'm sitting at about 27% if I count every pipe I own, but practically it's more like 57% once I filter out the ones I don't consider usable as they are.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.