Pipe Club of London meeting, 19th August 2017.

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Pipe Club of London meeting, 19th August 2017.

Post by SteveH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:23 am

The first meeting at our new country home, the 'Overdraught' pub in the village of Park Street, just South of St Albans - and a mere 50-minute bike ride away for me, as opposed to two and a half hours, two trains and the underground, and a £20+ fare, as hitherto when the third-Saturday meetings were in Essex. Fortunately, you don't need an overdraught to eat and drink at the 'Overdraught' - prices were very reasonable.

Photos here.
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Pipe Club of London meeting, 19th August 2017.

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 am

SteveH wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:23 am
The first meeting at our new country home, the 'Overdraught' pub in the village of Park Street, just South of St Albans - and a mere 50-minute bike ride away for me, as opposed to two and a half hours, two trains and the underground, and a £20+ fare, as hitherto when the third-Saturday meetings were in Essex. Fortunately, you don't need an overdraught to eat and drink at the 'Overdraught' - prices were very reasonable.

Photos here.
PCOL in exile. You're out beyond the pale (M25). That's not really London anymore, is it? Pride notwithstanding even Goering's Luftwaffe wouldn't have wasted bombs calling it London so far out. I'm delighted to see that a pub would take you. That isn't possible here (Canada) anymore. Though Quebec still has cigar bars.

Do you have any young folks in the membership? Y'know... less than 30 yo? Your half-lives have long passed. Or is that what it is to be a pipe smoker in old blighty today?
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 am

Looks like a fun place to meet. I have a meeting this afternoon for the officers of the Chicago Pipe Show. And on Saturday, the regular monthly meeting of the CPCC will take place. Since my birthday is in August, the club will give me a cigar.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:27 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 am
SteveH wrote:

Photos here.
PCOL in exile. You're out beyond the pale (M25). That's not really London anymore, is it? Pride notwithstanding even Goering's Luftwaffe wouldn't have wasted bombs calling it London so far out. I'm delighted to see that a pub would take you. That isn't possible here (Canada) anymore. Though Quebec still has cigar bars.

Do you have any young folks in the membership? Y'know... less than 30 yo? Your half-lives have long passed. Or is that what it is to be a pipe smoker in old blighty today?
It's nearer to London than our previous third-Saturday homes, Brentwood and Horndon-on-the-Hill. We also have a monthly Tuesday-evening meeting at Fox's tobacconists, in their upstairs lounge, which is in St James's Street, right in the heart of the posh West End. I've never been to a Tuesday meeting, though, because I work stupid hours.
As for the pub taking us - only in the garden, regrettably, as far as smoking is concerned, due to the outrageously intolerant law enacted some years ago.
Age-wise, we are mostly old farts, but we do have a member who was there who is not only young - 30ish, I'd guess - but female, called Alethia. Her head is just visible in the first photo, behind the bloke in the right foreground.
Last edited by SteveH on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 am

I've added two more photos to the album, taken by Trevor Burgess. The first shows Alethia, and the second me (right) and Krzysztof Guminski (left) during the auction.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/154641658 ... 286223574/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/154641658 ... 286223574/
Last edited by SteveH on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winton

Post by Winton » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:41 am

We occasionally have women at our club meetings. Here is an exchange that actually happened:

Man: Everyone behave tonight, since we have a woman present.
Woman: Don't worry, I work at a prison.
Another Man: That's why you look so familiar!

The whole club roared at that response.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 am

:D :D

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks for sharing with the posts, Steve. Man I wish I could locate a pipe club around here. And a good pub, too. Both are hard to come by in SE Texas, apparently.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 am

SteveH wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:27 am
Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 am
SteveH wrote:

Photos here.

It's nearer to London than our previous third-Saturday homes, Brentwood and Horndon-on-the-Hill. We also have a monthly Tuesday-evening meeting at Fox's tobacconists, in their upstairs lounge, which is in St James's Street, right in the heart of the posh West End. I've never been to a Tuesday meeting, though, because I work stupid hours.
As for the pub taking us - only in the garden, regrettably, as far as smoking is concerned, due to the outrageously intolerant law enacted some years ago.
Age-wise, we are mostly old farts, but we do have a member who was there who is not only young - 30ish, I'd guess - but female, called Alethia. Her head is just visible in the first photo, behind the bloke in the right foreground.
It's heartening to see the pipe club is still active. Canada ratified the FCTC too so we have similar laws. I think we're not allowed smoking in outdoor cafe or pub settings anymore. It's hell on pipe clubs.

Is Bromptonphile you, discovering A&C Petersen?
They were acquired by STG back in 2000. I think one of the ACP blenders is still with STG. Small Danish tobacco manufacturer that made quite good products. Their Caledonian mixtures and flakes were ever present in tobacconists. I can remember them in little screw-top paint pots back in the 70's. Quite good stuff. The product line was broader than indicated on TR. They were the ones that took the initiative to acquire & make Escudo and Bengal Slices from Gallaher who had discontinued both earlier in the 90's. After STG got them the existing line was pruned quite hard so not much left.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 am

One of the pluses of living in an urban area is being able to meet up with folk with like interests.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Red trousers!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 am

Is Bromptonphile you, discovering A&C Petersen?
They were acquired by STG back in 2000. I think one of the ACP blenders is still with STG. Small Danish tobacco manufacturer that made quite good products. Their Caledonian mixtures and flakes were ever present in tobacconists. I can remember them in little screw-top paint pots back in the 70's. Quite good stuff. The product line was broader than indicated on TR. They were the ones that took the initiative to acquire & make Escudo and Bengal Slices from Gallaher who had discontinued both earlier in the 90's. After STG got them the existing line was pruned quite hard so not much left.
Yes, I'm bromptonphile. Thanks for the info about Petersen.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:23 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:47 pm
Red trousers!
I don't know the name of red-trousers-man.
You shoulda seen the orange cordury flares I bought in Carnaby Street, back in the 70s!

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:38 pm

SteveH wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:23 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Red trousers!
You shoulda seen the orange cordury flares I bought in Carnaby Street, back in the 70s!
And I still wear mustard chinos and corduroy trousers. There used to be a lovely English blog consisting of user-submitted pictures of chaps wearing red trousers, categorized acording to general aspect as "toffs, hipsters, or insane." I enjoyed it very much. From the looks of things, that fellow would have been categorized as "insane."

Very English of the man.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:38 pm
SteveH wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:23 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Red trousers!
And I still wear mustard chinos and corduroy trousers. There used to be a lovely English blog consisting of user-submitted pictures of chaps wearing red trousers, categorized acording to general aspect as "toffs, hipsters, or insane." I enjoyed it very much. From the looks of things, that fellow would have been categorized as "insane."

Very English of the man.
Possibly, but I have just discovered that he is Spanish, and his name is Juan Carlos Rincón! :D

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:13 am

Nantucket Reds. I have lunch once a week with an attorney friend that wears them all the time.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23