Best Pipe Tobacco for Quitting Cigs?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Best Pipe Tobacco for Quitting Cigs?

Post by Fainn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:52 am

I currently smoke Winston Lights. Its getting expensive so I'm taking suggestions.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Jester
Elder
Elder

Re: Best Pipe Tobacco for Quitting Cigs?

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:09 pm

I found it best to quit smoking before I picked up the pipe. When Tuttle gave me a pipe I tried to wean but cigarettes are too convenient and addictive. I quit cigarettes for a year before I picked the pipe back up. I never got a craving for cigarettes after that. Something about the smoke while your still prone to nicotine will trigger it. Stop it all for a while.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 pm

maybe a pipe tobacco that has a lot of Turkish in it, as the wonderful Camel cigarettes have Turkish.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 pm
maybe a pipe tobacco that has a lot of Turkish in it, as the wonderful Camel cigarettes have Turkish.
Kindly meant, but bad advice, in my experience. Even to this day, if I smoke a light English, I try to inhale the heck out of it. I was a Camel smoker, you see.

The two aren't really interchangeable, but what worked for me was going to the strongest stuff I could handle, the kind that will hurt your lungs if you inhale. You have to be trained to smoke differently.

Secondarily, at least at first, you're probably going to have to plan to smoke differently. A cigarette, for a variety of chemical reasons, delivers a ton more nicotine much more quickly than puffing on a pipe. If you wait too long, you're going to have a hard time waiting the twenty or so minutes for the nicotine in pipe tobacco to be absorbed. So if you usually smoke a cigarette at 2 pm, you better start smoking a pipe at 1:30.

Or do what I did, stay in the hospital for nine days semi-unconscious for part of it. You go through the withdrawals and never knew you had them. Foolproof. Make sure not to die, though. :D
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Or do what I did, stay in the hospital for nine days semi-unconscious for part of it. You go through the withdrawals and never knew you had them. Foolproof. Make sure not to die, though. :D
Whoa. There must be a longer story there.

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:37 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:04 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 pm
Kindly meant, but bad advice, in my experience. Even to this day, if I smoke a light English, I try to inhale the heck out of it. I was a Camel smoker, you see.

The two aren't really interchangeable, but what worked for me was going to the strongest stuff I could handle, the kind that will hurt your lungs if you inhale. You have to be trained to smoke differently.

Secondarily, at least at first, you're probably going to have to plan to smoke differently. A cigarette, for a variety of chemical reasons, delivers a ton more nicotine much more quickly than puffing on a pipe. If you wait too long, you're going to have a hard time waiting the twenty or so minutes for the nicotine in pipe tobacco to be absorbed. So if you usually smoke a cigarette at 2 pm, you better start smoking a pipe at 1:30.

Is Latakia one of the Orientals in Camels? I smoked them for years in my late teens and twenties, but can't recall. I know a lot of the original Egyptian cigarettes used it. Actually they were pretty much just what we call English blends in cigarette form I believe. Americans added Burley to the formula and used a lot less Orientals.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Fainn wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:52 am
I currently smoke Winston Lights. Its getting expensive so I'm taking suggestions.
Is your cigarette smoking a leisurely activity that you do when you're doing nothing else, or is it a busy activity that you do while driving or in the middle of something else? I never really sat around smoking cigarettes for the experience. I popped one in on the way home or while having a beer to get a nicotine jolt. Pipe tobacco has never been that way for me, so they were never comparable. Pipes usually take at least a half an hour or so, and the nicotine is secondary to the enjoyment.

So the best suggestion I have for quitting cigarettes is simply not buying cigarettes. If you don't have them, you won't smoke them. It sucks at first, but so does being poor.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:33 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm
Fainn wrote:
Is your cigarette smoking a leisurely activity that you do when you're doing nothing else, or is it a busy activity that you do while driving or in the middle of something else? I never really sat around smoking cigarettes for the experience. I popped one in on the way home or while having a beer to get a nicotine jolt. Pipe tobacco has never been that way for me, so they were never comparable. Pipes usually take at least a half an hour or so, and the nicotine is secondary to the enjoyment.

So the best suggestion I have for quitting cigarettes is simply not buying cigarettes. If you don't have them, you won't smoke them. It sucks at first, but so does being poor.
Busy activity except for the last smoke of the day.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:33 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm
Fainn wrote:

Busy activity except for the last smoke of the day.
I'm a clencher. It leaves the hands free. Give it a shot and listen to TNLP (i, too, am shocked I said that, but he's right). Stick a pipe in your kisser first thing in the morning with coffee. Just ditch the cigarettes.

Fainn, you can do this. Churchill hated cigarettes (pipes, too, but that's more cultural...seen as vulgar and prohibited in officer's mess and polite society), yet he lived into his nineties on six non-inhaled cigars a day.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 pm

I had a list of high-nic tobaccos to recommend.... but I have never smoked cigarettes, nor have I endured an addiction to nicotine.

This thread is best left to those pipe smokers who have kicked a real addiction to cigarettes. Good heart, guys!

My father died of lung cancer after years of cigarettes, which disgusted us children terribly. I still have allergic reactions to cigarette smoke, due to the noxious chemicals which are not found in premium tobacco.

Quit with the cigs... for yourself, your wallet, your wife, and for the beloved little Fainnling.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4