Chicago Pipe Show 2018

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Re: Chicago Pipe Show 2018

Post by JMG » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Did I mention that I get to come to the show this year?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 am

JMG wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:33 pm
Can't wait to finally meet.
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

"On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God."

~J. S. Bach

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:45 pm

kaydens wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 am
JMG wrote:
Can't wait to finally meet.
Same here! Your prayer card is on our refrigerator and you and your family are in our prayers.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:53 am

JMG wrote:
I am catching up on CPS and just saw this thread. I couldn't be more excited about the show this year. Meeting you and DL (and some of you other CPSers) in person will be the highlight of the show for me. I was even considering not going at all this year until now. Even better news - it is looking like I will mostly be at the show as a spectator so I won't be bogged down manning a table in the showroom. I will likely have a few pipes made but it will not be my focus. That means I'll get to hang out with you guys a bunch more than in years past whether you like it or not!
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

kevinbehringer
Congregation
Congregation

Post by kevinbehringer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Hello all. New member here and looking for a little advice regarding this year's Chicago show.

I've recently gotten back into my pipes after a 15 year hiatus. I have also gotten more deeply into them and the tobaccos out there this time, so I'm really enjoying the ride.

Given that I only live a couple hours from the Chicago show, I've considered going this year, but a) I don't have any friends who are also pipe smokers to go with and b) I don't really know anyone personally who will be there.

That said, do you have any advice to someone who doesn't know anyone at the show and would like to go? How to connect with people there so it's not just a matter of walking through by myself and leaving? What to expect at the show overall?

Thanks!
Kevin

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm

I recommend starting at the big tent. Wander in and sit down at a table with some other guys. Light your pipe and start making friends. Seriously, you will meet people from all around the world, that all enjoy pipes. If you follow this thread, you will find lots of activities you can try and there will be thousands of pipes and more tobacco than you have ever seen.

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:48 pm

kevinbehringer wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm
Hello all. New member here and looking for a little advice regarding this year's Chicago show.

I've recently gotten back into my pipes after a 15 year hiatus. I have also gotten more deeply into them and the tobaccos out there this time, so I'm really enjoying the ride.

Given that I only live a couple hours from the Chicago show, I've considered going this year, but a) I don't have any friends who are also pipe smokers to go with and b) I don't really know anyone personally who will be there.

That said, do you have any advice to someone who doesn't know anyone at the show and would like to go? How to connect with people there so it's not just a matter of walking through by myself and leaving? What to expect at the show overall?

Thanks!
Kevin
I’ll be there...you can hang with me.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:52 pm

kaydens wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:16 pm
kaydens wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 pm
Be there.

Aye! I lost track of your business card, but we need to get a running start on POY 2019....

And we didn't open the McClelland 2005 Anniversary that you gifted to us last year, as so few guys showed up. I am holding on to it for us to share this year. It is all the more precious, considering the shortage of McClelland red virginia blends.
Sounds like a plan!

I've already picked out a shape and set it aside.
Will we be doing another pipe fish stamp?
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

~J. S. Bach

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:54 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:48 pm
kevinbehringer wrote:

Thanks!
Kevin
Honestly guys...

Kevin: Check out our previous year's threads on the show below. Look for the faces in the pictures included:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43001&hilit=SHow+2017&start=80

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40708&hilit=show+2016
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:55 pm

I will be in on Thursday night and will have a room in the Tower. Will be hosting two Taiwanese Pipemakers and help with translation, as well as possible a small group from Singapore.

Will have whiskey in the room, if anyone is interested in swinging by.

Are we doing breakfast together this year?
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

~J. S. Bach

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Pepik wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:54 pm
JMG wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:48 pm
kevinbehringer wrote:

Thanks!
Kevin
Honestly guys...

Kevin: Check out our previous year's threads on the show below. Look for the faces in the pictures included:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43001&hilit=SHow+2017&start=80

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40708&hilit=show+2016
Look forward to meeting you both.
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

~J. S. Bach

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:11 pm

I seriously doubt I can make it due to work, but let's say a fella was to drive down. Anybody have a room i could crash in (I'd even split the cost ... And might even pay in US dollars)?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:23 pm

kevinbehringer wrote:

Thanks!
Kevin
Howdy, Kevin....

I will be there, wearing a kilt under my belly and fez on my head. And mostly likely, carrying a CPS Pipefish coffee mug.

My son will be there, walking around underneath his fedora.
Del, in all his glory (and his Workman's Utilikilt).

Couldn't get the high-contrast image of Gabe, so Pipeson will have to suffice.
We live near Madison, WI. So... we should meet up sometime, perhaps before the Pipe Show.

I am sending a PM.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

kevinbehringer
Congregation
Congregation

Post by kevinbehringer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:29 am

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement.

I'm hoping the scheduling will work out and I'll be able to be at the show and meet some of you!

Kevin

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Kevin,

Welcome back to pipes! You won't regret attending the Chicago Pipe Show. If you want, we can exchange cell numbers via PM so you can text me when you arrive at the show. It would be great to meet you and share a pipe and I can introduce you to the rest of the CPS clan. This group knows no strangers so you will feel right at home.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

kevinbehringer
Congregation
Congregation

Post by kevinbehringer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 am

SlowToke that'd be great!

It's looking like I'll be there, so to have someone to connect with and kick things off would be wonderful.

Thanks for being so welcoming all!

Kevin

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:09 am

kevinbehringer wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 am
SlowToke that'd be great!
If Wayne (SlowToke) asks to borrow some cash for a Hamburger today, he will gladly repay you next Tuesday.

P.s. Study those mugs shots we shared ;)
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Winton

Post by Winton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:39 pm

THE CHICAGO FEAST

HERE ARE THE CHOICES FOR OUR 2018 SATURDAY NIGHT BANQUET.

MENU

SALAD AND BREAD:Field greens salad: romaine, California iceberg and baby greens garnished with English cucumbers, tear drop tomatoes and julienne vegetables with selection of Ranch or Italian dressing.Chef's selection of hearth baked breads and rolls served with creamery butter.

MAIN COURSE SELECTIONS AVAILABLE:

Roasted Prime Rib of Beef (8 oz.) served with natural Au Jus and creamy horseradish sauce. $50.00

Chicken Alexandra - pan seared and brushed with honey mustard and crusted in pecans, walnuts and sun dried cranberries, set on sautéed baby spinach with calvados buerre blanc. $47.00

Salmon Americana - pan seared and topped with shrimp and scallops with lobster creme. $47.00

Roasted Vegetable Pasta - portobello mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus, baby bokchoy and grilled artichokes nestled on a bed of pappardelle pasta. Complimented with a sun dried tomato asiago broth. $42.00

DESSERT:Alternating settings of flourless chocolate cake and New York cheesecake with raspberry infusion in a graham cracker crust.Coffee, decaf/instant coffee, tea and iced tea.A cash bar will be available.

Everyone attending the dinner will be entered in a drawing for a box of fine cigars donated by five dinner sponsors.Please make you dinner selections in advance.
DINNER RESERVATION FORM:NAME: ______________________________________________Number of dinners Amount due_______ of Roasted Prime Rib of Beef dinners @ $50.00 = $________________ of Chicken Alexandra dinners @ $47.00 = $________________ of Salmon Americana dinners @ $47.00 = $________________ of Roasted Vegetable Pasta dinners @ $42.00 = $_________Total amount due for all dinners reserved = S_________
DINNERS MUST BE ORDERED AND PAID BEFORE 5 PM SATURDAY MAY 5, 2018

/Mod - Winton - please just put up a link to the form on the CPCC site instead - this part is non-sequitur here in this post. Thanks!

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:04 pm

I have begun choosing the pipes for the trip.

I have definitely made a single selection.

Stay tuned.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 am

kevinbehringer wrote:

Thanks!
Kevin
I'll be there and I don't bite. I may even wear a kilt to match Del this year. I'm a six two, bearded ginger so I stand out in a crowd. At any given moment, a table in the smoking tent usually has at least one CPSer at it. Just pull up a chair and enjoy some great company!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis