Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Chicago Pipe Show 2018

Post by Del » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:28 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 am
kevinbehringer wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm
Hello all. New member here and looking for a little advice regarding this year's Chicago show.

I've recently gotten back into my pipes after a 15 year hiatus. I have also gotten more deeply into them and the tobaccos out there this time, so I'm really enjoying the ride.

Given that I only live a couple hours from the Chicago show, I've considered going this year, but a) I don't have any friends who are also pipe smokers to go with and b) I don't really know anyone personally who will be there.

That said, do you have any advice to someone who doesn't know anyone at the show and would like to go? How to connect with people there so it's not just a matter of walking through by myself and leaving? What to expect at the show overall?

Thanks!
Kevin
I'll be there and I don't bite. I may even wear a kilt to match Del this year. I'm a six two, bearded ginger so I stand out in a crowd. At any given moment, a table in the smoking tent usually has at least one CPSer at it. Just pull up a chair and enjoy some great company!
There is never "just one." More often, there is the scooting of chairs to make room for one more!

Hey, Joegoat! You've lost a lot of weight.... does the old kilt even fit?

I dare you to bring your bagpipes.

AND... I need some help. I dropped my beloved Joegoat Olive, and now there is a crack in the long shank down where it meets the stem. Do you want to take a crack at repairing it?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

Del wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:28 am
joegoat wrote:
kevinbehringer wrote:
Hello all. New member here and looking for a little advice regarding this year's Chicago show.

I've recently gotten back into my pipes after a 15 year hiatus. I have also gotten more deeply into them and the tobaccos out there this time, so I'm really enjoying the ride.

Given that I only live a couple hours from the Chicago show, I've considered going this year, but a) I don't have any friends who are also pipe smokers to go with and b) I don't really know anyone personally who will be there.

That said, do you have any advice to someone who doesn't know anyone at the show and would like to go? How to connect with people there so it's not just a matter of walking through by myself and leaving? What to expect at the show overall?

Thanks!
Kevin
I'll be there and I don't bite. I may even wear a kilt to match Del this year. I'm a six two, bearded ginger so I stand out in a crowd. At any given moment, a table in the smoking tent usually has at least one CPSer at it. Just pull up a chair and enjoy some great company!
There is never "just one." More often, there is the scooting of chairs to make room for one more!

AND... I need some help. I dropped my beloved Joegoat Olive, and now there is a crack in the long shank down where it meets the stem. Do you want to take a crack at repairing it?
My wife is getting me a utilikilt for my birthday. My tartan one is a bit on the loose side ever since I decided to trim up a bit. Bagpipes are always a maybe...
I'm not much of a pipe repairman. I definitely don't claim to be good at it. My fix for that is something you could probably try at home. I've fixed a couple estate pipes that had splits at the joint by removing the bit, prying the crack apart ever so slightly and working a bit of super glue into it. I then let it relax and put a wrap or two of electrical tape around it till the glue dries. It's a garage goober fix, but it works well enough. I wish I could say that I could add a ferrule to it, but I lack the tooling and silver smithing skill.
Tim West has had a booth at the show the last couple of years. Pipe repairs are his forte. I plan to talk to him again this year if he's there. He may have a better idea for it.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:13 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am
Del wrote:
joegoat wrote:
kevinbehringer wrote:

Thanks!
Kevin

My wife is getting me a utilikilt for my birthday. My tartan one is a bit on the loose side ever since I decided to trim up a bit. Bagpipes are always a maybe...
I'm not much of a pipe repairman. I definitely don't claim to be good at it. My fix for that is something you could probably try at home. I've fixed a couple estate pipes that had splits at the joint by removing the bit, prying the crack apart ever so slightly and working a bit of super glue into it. I then let it relax and put a wrap or two of electrical tape around it till the glue dries. It's a garage goober fix, but it works well enough. I wish I could say that I could add a ferrule to it, but I lack the tooling and silver smithing skill.
Tim West has had a booth at the show the last couple of years. Pipe repairs are his forte. I plan to talk to him again this year if he's there. He may have a better idea for it.
I shall bring it to the show, and we can look at it together. I may try the glue trick. The crack is such that this might work.

Another option might be to saw off the track and drill a new mortise for the tenon. The present shank is long enough that the result would not look weird. (I wouldn't even ask you to stamp it again!)

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 am

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:13 am
joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am
Del wrote:
joegoat wrote:
kevinbehringer wrote:

Thanks!
Kevin

I shall bring it to the show, and we can look at it together. I may try the glue trick. The crack is such that this might work.

Another option might be to saw off the track and drill a new mortise for the tenon. The present shank is long enough that the result would not look weird. (I wouldn't even ask you to stamp it again!)
Shortening could work. We'll take a look.

It's official! I've booked a hotel room for Bdaily and myself. We'll be there Friday and Saturday. Maybe even a bit on Sunday.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

kevinbehringer
Congregation
Congregation

Post by kevinbehringer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am

So, what is the "big" day to be there? If I had to pick one day, which is best?

Del

Post by Del » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:43 am

kevinbehringer wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am
If you only have one day, then Saturday is probably your best bet. Make it a LONG day. You will want to see the show (mostly display booths -- pipe carvers, tobacco blenders, some novelties). You will want to meet some CPS guys. You will want to hang out in the smoking tent with your new friends.

You won't want to leave.
==============================================================
There is a free buffet dinner on Friday night. It is paid for by the Show's organizers (thanks, Winton!). It is for the folks who come early... for the pipe-making seminars and such. We get a big table together and start the mischief. Then smoke and laugh and catch up late into the night. There is a heated tent for the pretense of smoking "outside."

Saturday morning is when the show opens for the public. If you only come for one day, then get here by 10:00 am or so and plan to stay as late as you can. We will stay up late again in the smoking tent. The guys with display tables will finally be free to join us. Slowtoke shares sips of [stuff]. JMG will astound us with stories of his missionary work in Papua - New Guinea. Skip and BigWill (the Giant Ninja) will make fun of me. Pipeson will play his harmonica.

Sunday morning -- Some of the guys head home, with long drives to Michigan or Ohio. Winton always tries to lead a Bible Study. But half of us are hung over, and the rest are at a Catholic Mass. This is a great day for quiet conversations in the smoking tent while the Slow Smoke Contest is under way. Usually some other entertaining mischief as the Best Tobacco Blend votes are counted. Our tongues are like seared leather, so we smoke gently.

Sunday afternoon -- Sometimes some good deals on pipes that were not sold during the show. The Silent Auction closes and winners collect their prizes. Cornell & Diehl hands out all the opened tins from their tobacco-sample bar. (You gotta be fast or they'll push a whole box of tins at you.)

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:43 am

Sunday morning -- Some of the guys head home, with long drives to Michigan or Ohio. Winton always tries to lead a Bible Study. But half of us are hung over, and the rest are at a Catholic Mass. This is a great day for quiet conversations in the smoking tent while the Slow Smoke Contest is under way. Usually some other entertaining mischief as the Best Tobacco Blend votes are counted. Our tongues are like seared leather, so we smoke gently.
Del, good summary. But the winner of the Chicago Bowl will be announced on Saturday night. The tobacco will still be available, until it is gone.

On Sunday morning, there will be coffee & donuts available in the tent. I figure that some of the people who are in the tent, would be in church if they were not in St Charles. Others have never set foot in a church. This is an opportunity for both groups. This year I plan to speak about 15 minutes on the calling of Levi aka Matthew, from Mark 2. Then I will open up to any discussion that anyone wants. You are certainly welcome to join.

Winton

Post by Winton » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:29 pm

THE CHICAGOLAND INTERNATIONAL PIPE & TOBACCIANA SHOW
2018 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WEDNESDAY May 2, 2018
9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
12 pm Chicago Pipe Show 6,000 square foot smoking tent opens

THURSDAY May 3, 2018
8 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
4 pm International Charatan Collectors Society, Turquoise Room (Tower)

FRIDAY May 4, 2018
9 am – 4 pm, Smoke and Swap, Tent (6 am vendor line up, 8 am set up)
9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for English Flakes opens in the tent.
9:30 am – 4:30 pm Champagne Limo to Premium Outlet Mall, Hotel Lobby
12 pm – 5 pm Welcome Table, Hotel across from indoor/outdoor pool
3 pm UPCA Annual Meeting, Ruby Room (Tower)
4 pm Heroines of the Pipes, Manduela and Ann Julie video
7 pm – 10 pm Welcome Buffet Dinner, St. Charles Ballroom
7:30 pm presentations at Welcome Dinner
9: 00 pm What Most Pipemen Don’t know about Peterson: McCardle Suite
9 pm Ladies’ Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program, Turquoise Room (Tower)
9 pm Pipe Repairmen Roundtable, Sapphire Room (Tower)

SATURDAY May 5, 2018
7 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
10 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award tor English Flakes opens in the Show.
11 am – 3+ pm Silent Auction, Mega Center
12 pm Private Ladies’ Luncheon for Exhibitors, St Charles Ballroom Salons 5 & 6
7 pm The Chicago Feast banquet, New Orleans Ballroom
9 pm Doctor of Pipes Meeting, Arnold Palmer Suite (Tower)

SUNDAY MAY 6, 2018
6:30 – 9:30 am Pipe Show Breakfast, St Charles Ballroom, Salons I, III, IV
8 am Study of Tobacco in the Bible (Tent)
8 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
9 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
11 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award tor English Flake ends..
12 pm Show Awards Presentation, Mega Center
1 pm UPCA United States of America National Pipe Smoking Championship, Tent

MONDAY MAY 7, 2018
8 am – 12 pm Post Show, Terrace Café Area

Please keep in mind that all of the above activities are subject to change or cancellation, even at the last minute, due to illness or unforeseen circumstances.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm

I met with the lovely miss that will be house sitting and taking care of the pups while I am away.

I thought I’d fly tomorrow but, It’s not until Friday.

What a dottering old fool I must have looked.

Oh well. Impromptu day off!

#winning
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Del wrote:
kevinbehringer wrote:
If you only have one day, then Saturday is probably your best bet. Make it a LONG day. You will want to see the show (mostly display booths -- pipe carvers, tobacco blenders, some novelties). You will want to meet some CPS guys. You will want to hang out in the smoking tent with your new friends.

You won't want to leave.
There is a free buffet dinner on Friday night. It is paid for by the Show's organizers (thanks, Winton!). It is for the folks who come early... for the pipe-making seminars and such. We get a big table together and start the mischief. Then smoke and laugh and catch up late into the night. There is a heated tent for the pretense of smoking "outside."

Saturday morning is when the show opens for the public. If you only come for one day, then get here by 10:00 am or so and plan to stay as late as you can. We will stay up late again in the smoking tent. The guys with display tables will finally be free to join us. Slowtoke shares sips of [stuff]. JMG will astound us with stories of his missionary work in Papua - New Guinea. Skip and BigWill (the Giant Ninja) will make fun of me. Pipeson will play his harmonica.

Sunday afternoon -- Sometimes some good deals on pipes that were not sold during the show. The Silent Auction closes and winners collect their prizes. Cornell & Diehl hands out all the opened tins from their tobacco-sample bar. (You gotta be fast or they'll push a whole box of tins at you.)
I didn't know I was on the roster.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:01 am

JMG wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:40 pm
Del wrote:
kevinbehringer wrote:

You won't want to leave.

I didn't know I was on the roster.
Looks like you are a featured speaker...it would be great if you did a slide presentation :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:25 am

Four words...

IHOP
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:55 am

Skip wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:25 am
Four words...

IHOP
Yeah, we doing breakfast? Mrs. Gabriel and I are counting our pennies to see if we can stay up in the area Friday night. If we do, I assume we'd able to do breakfast. If we're driving up Saturday morning, we'll probably miss it.
Sola Deo Gloria

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:55 am
Skip wrote:
Four words...

IHOP
Yeah, we doing breakfast? Mrs. Gabriel and I are counting our pennies to see if we can stay up in the area Friday night. If we do, I assume we'd able to do breakfast. If we're driving up Saturday morning, we'll probably miss it.
If I'm in for the day, I'm in for breakfast. And as of right now, I'm in for the day.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

Del

Post by Del » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Skip wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:55 am
Skip wrote:
Four words...

IHOP
If I'm in for the day, I'm in for breakfast. And as of right now, I'm in for the day.
I think we have wrung all of the fun we can get out of the legendary Olde North Pancake House.

I vote IHOP.

I hope Skip can show me how to use the camera on my i-Phone.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:23 pm

I just heard from Bigwill/Giant Ninja.

Sounds like he is in for the party!

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:57 pm

I might swing by.
And what is good, Phaedrus? And what is not good?
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:00 pm

I’ll be the giant dude eating Wendy’s chili in the tent. No pictures, please.
And what is good, Phaedrus? And what is not good?
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:03 pm

GiantNinja wrote:I’ll be the giant dude eating Wendy’s chili in the tent. No pictures, please.
You go girl!
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Pepik wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:03 pm
GiantNinja wrote:I’ll be the giant dude eating Wendy’s chili in the tent. No pictures, please.
You go girl!
This is a job for Far.