$20,000 Worth of Cigars

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Post Reply
User avatar
plainview
Usher
Usher
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm

$20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by plainview » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 pm

I read that during the production of the movie Darkest Hour, the actor portraying Winston Churchill smoked $20,000 worth of Romeo y Julieta Cubans. The article stated over 400 cigars were smoked by the actor at $50 per.

Image

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

plainview wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 pm
I read that during the production of the movie Darkest Hour, the actor portraying Winston Churchill smoked $20,000 worth of Romeo y Julieta Cubans. The article stated over 400 cigars were smoked by the actor at $50 per.

Image
Noice.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8524
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
The dumb-ass, didn't have to smoke 'em, just hold 'em. They were just a prop. I can see going through 400, if you get a fresh one for each take, etc. The cigar in the pic in the above post looks like it was just lit. Nicotine poisoning indeed.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
The dumb-ass, didn't have to smoke 'em, just hold 'em. They were just a prop. I can see going through 400, if you get a fresh one for each take, etc. The cigar in the pic in the above post looks like it was just lit. Nicotine poisoning indeed.
This is the sort of pedantry, up with which I shall not put.
I think he didn't have that choice (to just hold them). Did you read the story?
Actors are asked to do a lot for their craft. Oftentimes this involves getting into crazy shape or gaining or losing weight for a role, but there are other things that actors have to do repetitively during filming that can take a toll. When veteran actor Gary Oldman signed on to play Winston Churchill in the upcoming Darkest Hour biopic, he also signed on to smoke cigars like Churchill was known for. Only, he didn't take into account how many times he would have to do multiple takes. In fact, all the smoking led him to dealing with nicotine poisoning.
All smoking is good smoking and I think you made a valiant effort. <mozart laugh>
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
plainview
Usher
Usher
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by plainview » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm
All smoking is good smoking and I think you made a valiant effort. <mozart laugh>
https://youtu.be/rjmmjXGwarU

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8524
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
The dumb-ass, didn't have to smoke 'em, just hold 'em. They were just a prop. I can see going through 400, if you get a fresh one for each take, etc. The cigar in the pic in the above post looks like it was just lit. Nicotine poisoning indeed.
This is the sort of pedantry, up with which I shall not put.
I think he didn't have that choice (to just hold them). Did you read the story?
Actors are asked to do a lot for their craft. Oftentimes this involves getting into crazy shape or gaining or losing weight for a role, but there are other things that actors have to do repetitively during filming that can take a toll. When veteran actor Gary Oldman signed on to play Winston Churchill in the upcoming Darkest Hour biopic, he also signed on to smoke cigars like Churchill was known for. Only, he didn't take into account how many times he would have to do multiple takes. In fact, all the smoking led him to dealing with nicotine poisoning.
All smoking is good smoking and I think you made a valiant effort. <mozart laugh>
B.S. One doesn't really smoke a cigar anyway. You just play with it. Ask Bill Clinton.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19989
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:13 pm

With the advent of movies one can watch at home - from video tapes through to online streaming - directors have to be a lot fussier with their shots. Now the viewer has control of the viewing experience; we can rewind, pause, play in slow motion, etc. and it simply won't do to see a fresh cigar in one shot and a nub in the next.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
I don't know. He certainly knew the cost in his own day. A delightful read (I'm a Churchill buff) is Churchill's Cigars--it details his habits, including writing letters indicating to all his suppliers that they were, in fact, his sole provider. One of his butler's once remarked on the fact that Churchill's daily cigar consumption was more valuable than the butler's weekly wage.

I'm not sure anything could actually kill the man other than old age. Multiple heart attacks and strokes, enough booze to make Skip blanche, rich food every day all day, and he died with a liver as clean as a child's.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
I don't know. He certainly knew the cost in his own day. A delightful read (I'm a Churchill buff) is Churchill's Cigars--it details his habits, including writing letters indicating to all his suppliers that they were, in fact, his sole provider. One of his butler's once remarked on the fact that Churchill's daily cigar consumption was more valuable than the butler's weekly wage.

I'm not sure anything could actually kill the man other than old age. Multiple heart attacks and strokes, enough booze to make Skip blanche, rich food every day all day, and he died with a liver as clean as a child's.
... at 90 yo. Another smoking death. <more mozart laughing>

He drank every day but never to excess as he pointed out.

Fox in London has some of his letters. I think supplying to Churchill or the royal family would have been treated as a mark of serious prestige.
He complained when told the Dundee cake they usually bought had to go because they were living too well but couldn't afford it. This was during his political exile. I decided to try Dundee cake after reading that. What's good enough for Churchill... By '39 and right through the war years Churchill had a chef who made a variation on Dundee Cake. Here's the recipe, we're told.

http://www.housebeautiful.co.uk/lifesty ... ruit-cake/
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
I don't know. He certainly knew the cost in his own day. A delightful read (I'm a Churchill buff) is Churchill's Cigars--it details his habits, including writing letters indicating to all his suppliers that they were, in fact, his sole provider. One of his butler's once remarked on the fact that Churchill's daily cigar consumption was more valuable than the butler's weekly wage.

I'm not sure anything could actually kill the man other than old age. Multiple heart attacks and strokes, enough booze to make Skip blanche, rich food every day all day, and he died with a liver as clean as a child's.
... at 90 yo. Another smoking death. <more mozart laughing>

He drank every day but never to excess as he pointed out.

Fox in London has some of his letters. I think supplying to Churchill or the royal family would have been treated as a mark of serious prestige.
He complained when told the Dundee cake they usually bought had to go because they were living too well but couldn't afford it. This was during his political exile. I decided to try Dundee cake after reading that. What's good enough for Churchill... By '39 and right through the war years Churchill had a chef who made a variation on Dundee Cake. Here's the recipe, we're told.

http://www.housebeautiful.co.uk/lifesty ... ruit-cake/
Always curious about Dundee cake. It's just a snippet, but a wonderful sign of the authenticity of secondary elements that the filmmakers got right in The Gathering Storm. Seems to me it's like an English panettone.

Curious that, at least in later life, he wouldn't tolerate pipes or cigarettes at Chartwell unless the guest was too important to be told off.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by Rusty » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:15 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Gary Oldman's (played Churchill) view is that the crew was trying to kill him. Winston himself never smoked as much.
Gary Oldman wrote:I got serious nicotine poisoning. You'd have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you'd light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar -- we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.
Gary Oldman Got Nicotine Poisoning Playing Winston Churchill

We shall defend our smokes, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never surrender.

He'd be appalled at the cost of cigars today. Probably die young from consuming wayyy too much Dundee Cake.
I don't know. He certainly knew the cost in his own day. A delightful read (I'm a Churchill buff) is Churchill's Cigars--it details his habits, including writing letters indicating to all his suppliers that they were, in fact, his sole provider. One of his butler's once remarked on the fact that Churchill's daily cigar consumption was more valuable than the butler's weekly wage.

I'm not sure anything could actually kill the man other than old age. Multiple heart attacks and strokes, enough booze to make Skip blanche, rich food every day all day, and he died with a liver as clean as a child's.
... at 90 yo. Another smoking death. <more mozart laughing>

He drank every day but never to excess as he pointed out.

Fox in London has some of his letters. I think supplying to Churchill or the royal family would have been treated as a mark of serious prestige.
He complained when told the Dundee cake they usually bought had to go because they were living too well but couldn't afford it. This was during his political exile. I decided to try Dundee cake after reading that. What's good enough for Churchill... By '39 and right through the war years Churchill had a chef who made a variation on Dundee Cake. Here's the recipe, we're told.

http://www.housebeautiful.co.uk/lifesty ... ruit-cake/
Always curious about Dundee cake. It's just a snippet, but a wonderful sign of the authenticity of secondary elements that the filmmakers got right in The Gathering Storm. Seems to me it's like an English panettone.

Curious that, at least in later life, he wouldn't tolerate pipes or cigarettes at Chartwell unless the guest was too important to be told off.
I haven't had a Panettone (wrong culture) but when I look it up it appears pretty close. The signature look of Dundee cake is from the almonds on the top. Apparently that comes from Mary Queen of Scots. Churchill's cake returns to glacé cherries. He seems to share another characteristic with Luther. Both of them suffered from depression. Churchill called it his 'black dog'. These people have to be working. So between painting, writing, bricklaying, making lakes, and all the other landscape work at Chartwell he kept himself going. He was very proud of the quality and speed of his bricklaying. And there is a lot of it. I visited Chartwell when I was in England I was astonished at the extent of his work.

I wasn't aware that he wouldn't tolerate pipes and cigs. When was this?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Jester
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by Jester » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 am

plainview wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 pm
I read that during the production of the movie Darkest Hour, the actor portraying Winston Churchill smoked $20,000 worth of Romeo y Julieta Cubans. The article stated over 400 cigars were smoked by the actor at $50 per.

Image
Yeah, I would purposely mess up scenes too if they were shoving cigars in my face.

"What's that you say? Only two scenes left? I better keep my cell phone in my pocket with the volume up and well timed alarms set. Hey you, stage help, fetch me another cigar."
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

User avatar
wsblevins
Usher
Usher
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:35 am

Re: $20,000 Worth of Cigars

Post by wsblevins » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm

I thought “Darkest Hour” was one of the best films of its kind. Oldman’s performance was Oscar worthy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“This country needs an enema.”

Post Reply