From Aromatic to ?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
custom300
Congregation
Congregation

From Aromatic to ?

Post by custom300 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 pm

I’ve been smoking aromatics for a number of years. I would like to graduate to something else...Anyone have a suggestion for a good first try at a non aromatic?

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: From Aromatic to ?

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Carter Hall.

What sorts of aromatics have you been enjoying most?

Pick up some Carter Hall and try it.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

custom300
Congregation
Congregation

Post by custom300 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Truth be told I’m not sure. One of my favorites is called Black Heather...I’ve stored it for over 15 years and the tobacconist I bought it from is out of business...so I have no idea what the blend is. Others I like are Iwan Ries 4star in the blue package. And I recently bought Sutliff Christmas Spice...I love the room note on that but I don’t care for the taste as much. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give Carter Hall a try.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 pm

The Frog Morton series is a great way to test the waters with Latakia and works well as a transition blend.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:24 am

JimVH wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 pm
The Frog Morton series is a great way to test the waters with Latakia and works well as a transition blend.
This.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:36 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:24 am
JimVH wrote:
This.
+1
Freedom is coming...

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 am

custom300 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 pm
I’ve been smoking aromatics for a number of years. I would like to graduate to something else...Anyone have a suggestion for a good first try at a non aromatic?
I expect that you are familiar with all of the jibber-jabber about latakia, virginia, perique, orientals, burley, cavendish, toppings, etc.

But just in case, here is a short thread about tobacco jargon:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9194&p=206327&hilit=primer#p206327

Carter Hall is a codger burley blend. Many smokers taste a light topping of cocoa. Very pleasant stuff. I don't smoke much burley, but I like this one.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

custom300
Congregation
Congregation

Post by custom300 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you all. I've got the Carter Hall and Frog Morton on order, so I'll let you know how I like them. Have a great week!

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:00 pm

I'm all for experimenting (the 50 different blends in my cellar attest to that), but I'm an aro guy through and through. Don't let tobacco snobs lead you to think you have to smoke English or VaPer blends to be a man.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:28 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:00 pm
I'm all for experimenting (the 50 different blends in my cellar attest to that), but I'm an aro guy through and through. Don't let tobacco snobs lead you to think you have to smoke English or VaPer blends to be a man.
Of course not. It's only required if you want to be a good man.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:28 pm
FredS wrote:
:facepalm:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

custom300 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 am
Thank you all. I've got the Carter Hall and Frog Morton on order, so I'll let you know how I like them. Have a great week!
You might try some Lakeland style topped tobaccos. Try Ennerdale Flake. It's a good one. Supposed to be mainly almond.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34 pm
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
Don't do that. You don't have enough chin to survive the abuse.

I'm going to go smoke some Dark Red from Land's

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:

Speaking of abuse... Don't let HugoBoy distract you. He really is a good man, but this is the man who admits to buying cheap tobaccos since his smoking frequency is high and his budget is low! He only smokes the "good stuff" when he can pilfer a box pass. 8) :box:
Last edited by MrPiper on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:27 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:

Speaking of abuse... Don't let HugoBoy distract you. This is the man who admits to buying cheap tobaccos since his smoking frequency is high and his budget is low! He only smokes the "good stuff" when he can pilfer a box pass. 8) :box:
What the hell are you talking about now? Do you drink? Is a tamper stuck in your nose? Are you channeling TNLP?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm

After I burned out on Captain Black there was a bit of Sir Walter Raleigh in a partial pouch JIMJH had sent me. From there, I tried some bulk Virginia flakes our very much missed Rusty recommended. Dunhill Flake was a good bridge, as well. Now I smoke mostly McClelland Virginia flakes & blends, and McClelland VaPers. And for a morning smoke, Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. bulk (unscented) Brown Flake or Scotch Flake.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 am

custom300 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:49 pm
Truth be told I’m not sure. One of my favorites is called Black Heather...I’ve stored it for over 15 years and the tobacconist I bought it from is out of business...so I have no idea what the blend is.
Store shop owners often rebadge Lane or Altadis tobaccos with a different name that they have thought up on their own to sell locally. It may be the case here. If so, you should ask the owner about the origin of the tobacco and then find out the real name behind it.

It's nice to branch away from aromatics (I smoke aros less and less but enjoy them). I found for me that a balance of English/Balkan blends when it's cooler and some Burley was nice. Virginia tobaccos require discipline in smoking them because they sometimes have no forgiveness in tongue bite due to the higher sugar content in the leaf. This all depends on the blend, of course.

I smoked Mac Baren Original Choice and Vanilla Cream tobaccos as a segue from more heavily laced aromatics to something lighter. Rusty taught me to also try using parfaits to introduce different tastes to my palate. Load a bowl with some English blend on the bottom with a top layer or aromatics and then light away. The point where they meld is always interesting. Sometimes it's sublime, sometimes, 'meh', and sometimes downright nasty. But thankfully it's only nasty a little of the time.

In addition to the other great suggestions, here are some to try:
  • Peter Stockkebye English Luxury - (A characteristic English Mixture, developed from mellow Georgian Virginias, black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprian Latakia, Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury is a classic.)
  • Presbyterian Mixture - (Mellow blend of US-Virginia tobaccos and highquality Macedonian grades-exclusive, aristocratic pipe mixture.)
  • McClelland bulk #2025 English/Cavendish - (English Cavendish is a pleasant, rather light, broken, small flake tobacco made with lemon Brazilian and orange Middle Belt leaf seasoned with enough Xanthi to be satisfying throughout the day without becoming tiresome to the smoker. This is a fine tobacco for those who crave a taste somewhat rounder that that of a straight Virginia.)
  • McClelland bulk #2000 Fragrant Matured Cake - (This light, soft sweet cake is designed to appeal to many smokers of Matured Virginias who have been unable to endure aromatics but who would prefer a tobacco that smells sweeter in the room, as well as smokers of traditional aromatic Cavendish that would like a cooler dryer smoking tobacco.)
  • Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd - (This is a stronger, sharp aged red Virginia blend that will perk you up quickly. Always ranked near the top for fantastic Virginias to smoke now and save some for the cellar.)
These are but a few of the many wonderful blends out there for you to try. The best way to do this is to dive in and start experimenting!!

Have fun!

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm
After I burned out on Captain Black there was a bit of Sir Walter Raleigh in a partial pouch JIMJH had sent me. From there, I tried some bulk Virginia flakes our very much missed Rusty recommended. Dunhill Flake was a good bridge, as well. Now I smoke mostly McClelland Virginia flakes & blends, and McClelland VaPers. And for a morning smoke, Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. bulk (unscented) Brown Flake or Scotch Flake.
Dude, that reply of yours has Rusty stamped ALL OVER! Brought a smile to my face this morning, thank you for that. (kind of teary eyed too if I can confess that...).

custom300
Congregation
Congregation

Post by custom300 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:09 pm

[quote=calvinistanglican post_id=1177864 time=1517322056 user_id=1352]
[quote=custom300 post_id=1177629 time=1517201346 user_id=465]
Truth be told I’m not sure. One of my favorites is called Black Heather...I’ve stored it for over 15 years and the tobacconist I bought it from is out of business...so I have no idea what the blend is.
[/quote]

Store shop owners often rebadge Lane or Altadis tobaccos with a different name that they have thought up on their own to sell locally. It may be the case here. If so, you should ask the owner about the origin of the tobacco and then find out the real name behind it.

It's nice to branch away from aromatics (I smoke aros less and less but enjoy them). I found for me that a balance of English/Balkan blends when it's cooler and some Burley was nice. Virginia tobaccos require discipline in smoking them because they sometimes have no forgiveness in tongue bite due to the higher sugar content in the leaf. This all depends on the blend, of course.

I smoked Mac Baren Original Choice and Vanilla Cream tobaccos as a segue from more heavily laced aromatics to something lighter. Rusty taught me to also try using parfaits to introduce different tastes to my palate. Load a bowl with some English blend on the bottom with a top layer or aromatics and then light away. The point where they meld is always interesting. Sometimes it's sublime, sometimes, 'meh', and sometimes downright nasty. But thankfully it's only nasty a little of the time.

In addition to the other great suggestions, here are some to try:

[list][u]Peter Stockkebye English Luxury[/u] - (A characteristic English Mixture, developed from mellow Georgian Virginias, black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprian Latakia, Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury is a classic.)[/list]
[list][u]Presbyterian Mixture[/u] - (Mellow blend of US-Virginia tobaccos and highquality Macedonian grades-exclusive, aristocratic pipe mixture.)[/list]
[list][u]McClelland bulk #2025 English/Cavendish[/u] - (English Cavendish is a pleasant, rather light, broken, small flake tobacco made with lemon Brazilian and orange Middle Belt leaf seasoned with enough Xanthi to be satisfying throughout the day without becoming tiresome to the smoker. This is a fine tobacco for those who crave a taste somewhat rounder that that of a straight Virginia.)[/list]
[list][u]McClelland bulk #2000 Fragrant Matured Cake[/u] - (This light, soft sweet cake is designed to appeal to many smokers of Matured Virginias who have been unable to endure aromatics but who would prefer a tobacco that smells sweeter in the room, as well as smokers of traditional aromatic Cavendish that would like a cooler dryer smoking tobacco.)[/list]
[list][u]Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd[/u] - (This is a stronger, sharp aged red Virginia blend that will perk you up quickly. Always ranked near the top for fantastic Virginias to smoke now and save some for the cellar.)[/list]

These are but a few of the many wonderful blends out there for you to try. The best way to do this is to dive in and start experimenting!!

Have fun!
[/quote]

Thank you so much. I always thought those were relabeled. Unfortunately the owner is out of business and gone. You’ve given me a lot to try...so thanks again.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:36 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:24 am
JimVH wrote:
This.
+1
Carter Hall hating summnabeaches
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound