Wait is this PAD?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Wait is this PAD?

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm
Cleon wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:40 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 pm
Well I just threw a bid up on ebay for a pipe, however, eventhough it ends in 45 minutes and I have the high bid I do not believe I will win it.
Snipe, my friend, snipe. At about 7 seconds enter an ungodly amount that Noone would ever beat then keep clicking the up your bid button. You'll win (assuming you have a good internet connection). Trust me. :lol:
I'm posturing for some snipe action as we speak.
Well Jim, did you win?
No <stated with disgust>, I was still at the office and they seem to think they can interrupt my private pursuits anytime they want.

Kind of narrow-minded if you ask me.

I'm only three days away from the next one, though.

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Ok, I’m 2 1/2 days away from my next . . . Here’s to not biding on the same one. :signofcross:
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 am

JimVH wrote:
Cleon wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
Well I just threw a bid up on ebay for a pipe, however, eventhough it ends in 45 minutes and I have the high bid I do not believe I will win it.
Snipe, my friend, snipe. At about 7 seconds enter an ungodly amount that Noone would ever beat then keep clicking the up your bid button. You'll win (assuming you have a good internet connection). Trust me. :lol:
My grandson and I postured for some snipe yesterday afternoon ... Wilson's Snipe, that is. The action was fast, and with intermittent rain, the hunt lasted only 45 mins, and when we got back to the truck and counted the birds we found that we were 2 birds shy of our two-man, 16-bird limit. My grandson's 9-month old retriever did great; but my setter was upset that we left her at home.

Sorry for the interruption; back to the thread in progress.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 am
JimVH wrote:
Cleon wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
My grandson and I postured for some snipe yesterday afternoon ... Wilson's Snipe, that is. The action was fast, and with intermittent rain, the hunt lasted only 45 mins, and when we got back to the truck and counted the birds we found that we were 2 birds shy of our two-man, 16-bird limit. My grandson's 9-month old retriever did great; but my setter was upset that we left her at home.

Excellent.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:37 am

sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Cleon wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:

NOT an interruption at all and a great picture to boot. Blessed man who lives where he can hunt and especially so when you can do so with your grandson.

And he said to the man,

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am

sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Cleon wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:

How dare you interrupt this thread with something productive and interesting.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:35 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am
sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Cleon wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:

I've slapped myself on the wrist on your behalf.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:35 am
JimVH wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am
sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Cleon wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:

I've slapped myself on the wrist on your behalf.
I agree with your setter . . .
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 am

Went bird hunting with out the bird dog... :cry:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 pm

I knew we'd get off topic. I'll post in the bird hunting thread; I need to report in anyway.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 pm
I knew we'd get off topic. I'll post in the bird hunting thread; I need to report in anyway.
Who is this "We" you speak of 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Now I am down to under 20 hours on eBay, have the high bid and still have some to go before I am out bid. This is the point where I start thinking I could actually win this . . . .

Not to worry though as I am watching another on eBay that if I don’t win I may make an offer on and there is a third sitting at SP that seems to be demanding my attention more and more each day.

And he said to the man,

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm
Now I am down to under 20 hours on eBay, have the high bid and still have some to go before I am out bid. This is the point where I start thinking I could actually win this . . . .

Not to worry though as I am watching another on eBay that if I don’t win I may make an offer on and there is a third sitting at SP that seems to be demanding my attention more and more each day.
YMMV, but my experience is that the price of most desirable eBay pipes doubles in the last ten seconds with the winning bid often coming in the last second. I understand this is done most successfully with some type of bidding app.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Don’t think this one will double at this point, however, I do see it growing past what I would consider a good deal on it. No worries though, if it wasn’t meant to be it wasn’t meant to be.

And he said to the man,

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:08 am

The buy-it-now prices from reputable sellers can be a good guide on similar pipes. I try to stay at about 75% or less.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm

It is past what I would consider a good deal for me right now but still in the range of good deal as far as the 75% or less goes. I can’t wait to see what it finally goes for in an hour, but, I am out and moving on to number two on my list. If that offer gets denied then I will have a very hard decision for number three.

And he said to the man,

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:05 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

YMMV, but my experience is that the price of most desirable eBay pipes doubles in the last ten seconds with the winning bid often coming in the last second. I understand this is done most successfully with some type of bidding app.

I stand corrected as it did double in price from my original post in the last few seconds. Whoever bought it could have basically ordered a new one for the price they paid.

My offer was countered on pipe two and it is still a GREAT deal, but, now I have to decide because one of the pipes on my short list is about $50 cheaper and that would allow for quite a bit of tobacco. Just talking this out in my head.

And he said to the man,

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:21 pm

There are experts with far better advice to give than me, but your posts make me want to encourage you to slow down.

One of my least favorite pipes is one that I bought on a trip to a B&M with buying a pipe on my mind; there was nothing in the store that I really liked, but I bought a nice pipe at a decent price. It just has not satisfied me as much as the others that were more what I was looking for or the gems I have stumbled upon. PAD is fun, but I have had better long term luck sticking with searches for certain shapes or certain makers and being more patient.

Another tip is buying a second, a pipe that needs some restoration, or has some other flaw. This is especially true if, like me, you have no intention of re-selling the pipe, but intend the purchase to be only for your personal enjoyment.

I love high grade Upshalls, but I keep my eyes out for the Upshall Tilsheads, as they were carved by the same expert, from the same high grade briar, but for some reason did not make the grade in Mr. Jones's eye. These often attract less bidding competition.

I have a friend who found that he loves an obscure pipemaker's pipes (Newt?), these regularly go for low prices, but he loves the way they smoke.

I got a really good deal on a Charatan Special because I searched for only those two words on eBay but not in the tobaccianna category. It was properly described but had bad pictures. I sent a message about the condition and was satisfied with the answer. The wrong placement of the auction and the poor photography, led to low competition and I bought it for $20 last year.