Nervous Ticks?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli

Nervous Ticks?

Post by elimtaft » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm

So here's something interesting. I have nervous ticks... facial and the right shoulder. Lately I've had a lot of pain in the muscles in my right shoulder. I think the longer drive to work is aggravating my tick more, both my face and shoulder seem to have gotten worse since I changed jobs. And the job is really not that stressful at all. I've been trying to walk on the treadmill more every day, and while walking I have to stretch my shoulder because it hurts after a while even while walking because I can't stop twitching it.

I've tried the typical stuff. Magnesium. B12. Etc. Sleeping more. Exercising. Etc. etc. etc.

So... I haven't had time to smoke a lot lately, which I regret. Yesterday I was finally able to smoke again. It was great. Half a bowl around 3pm. The other half around 7pm. I woke up this morning and as I walked on the treadmill, I noticed my shoulder wasn't hurting. And I noticed I wasn't twitching as much. So after my walk I thought... what affect does nicotine have on nervous ticks? Did some googling. Turns out other people have noticed this as well. Someone even basically said they hadn't thought about it, but their ticks got worse when they quit smoking. They smoked again, and their ticks went down.

Anybody here have thoughts on this? Here is what I read:
https://latitudes.org/forums/topic/754-ticsnot-smoking/

Seems to be a pretty good reason to justify having a smoke a day. It's 1pm here now, and I'm still feeling pretty good today, ticks are down.
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Nevous Ticks?

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 pm

I believe Roadmaster has reported some smoking related relief from Parkinson's tics/tremors. I have no idea if the same physiology is involved.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Nervous Ticks?

Post by durangopipe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:22 pm

I feel less pain on days when I’m able to smoke more.
And I require less anti-spasmodic medicine.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:22 pm
I feel less pain on days when I’m able to smoke more.
And I require less anti-spasmodic medicine.
I believe it helps with pain, too.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Re: Nevous Ticks?

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:40 pm

You may want to see a neurologist. Not saying you have anything serious, chances are you don’t but it would be a good idea IMHO.
Yes smoking tobacco helps my symptoms but my health insurance co has a $100 per month surcharge so I don't smoke now. In two years I will go on Medicare and will start smoking again if I’m still kicking.
Rich Corinthian Leather

elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli

Post by elimtaft » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! Much appreciated.
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am

Just to be pedantic for a moment:

A "nervous tick" is an anxious insect
A "nervous tic" is a repetitive muscular twitch caused by a misfiring nerve
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Steve S » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 pm

I've had nervous tics for years. They began in my early teens, I think, and they have changed a lot over the years. Some of my kids have them, too, now.

From what I've been told by doctors and other professionals, tics don't usually have a physiological basis. They're psychological. So, for example, when I was younger, I would cough or clear my throat a lot. Doctors looked and looked, but they couldn't see any reason I would be coughing so much. Then somebody realized that it wasn't a "cough" exactly. It was a tic. Nothing was actually irritating my throat; I just felt a compulsion to cough all the time. That tic went away eventually but was replaced by others--facial twitches and whatnot.

So here's the deal: tics are exacerbated by stress. When I'm truly relaxed, I don't tic much. But if I'm under stress, even at a low level, then my tics can get way worse. (My wife can always tell I'm worried because I'm twitching.) My tics are never so bad that they actually get in the way of normal life, but sometimes they're just distracting (and a little embarrassing). As I've gotten older, I've learned how to consciously relax myself, which does help a lot with the tics.

That's where smoking comes in. While nicotine is technically a stimulant, I think we all know that smoking acts as a stress-reducer. Reducing or quitting smoking, on the other hand, will usually involve withdraw symptoms, so you may well see an uptick (pun intended) in your stress symptoms, including nervous tics. But once your body gets used to the new normal, you will probably be able to get your tics under control again.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am
Just to be pedantic for a moment:

A "nervous tick" is an anxious insect
A "nervous tic" is a repetitive muscular twitch caused by a misfiring nerve
Beat me to it! :-) All the Guinnea hens around these parts keep all of the ticks pretty nervous!

Seriously though, there is a clear and undeniable link between cigarrette smoking and reduced symptoms and mortality in diagnosed parkinson's patients. Here is an interesting and fairly recent article on the subject:

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/moveme ... le/458995/