How do you smoke your "flake" tobacco? & How d

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

How do you smoke your "flake" tobacco? & How d

Post by michigander » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:35 am

I've tried using flake tobacco by just rolling (or folding) and stuffing, and also by rubbing out (to me that means just breaking it up into pieces).

I've had the most success with rubbing out.

Also, I've hade problems with flake being too wet.

The flake I've tried are MacBaren's Navy Flake, Escudo Navy Deluxe, Penzance and CC07

So, my questions are:

1) Do you rub out, or roll-stuff your flake tobacco
2) Do you dry out your wet tobacco
3) If you do dry your wet tobacco, how dry is dry
4) How do you dry it out (I've just let it sit out for an hour or more).

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Re: How do you smoke your "flake" tobacco? & H

Post by Zed » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:53 am

michigander wrote:I've tried using flake tobacco by just rolling (or folding) and stuffing, and also by rubbing out (to me that means just breaking it up into pieces).

I've had the most success with rubbing out.

Also, I've hade problems with flake being too wet.

The flake I've tried are MacBaren's Navy Flake, Escudo Navy Deluxe, Penzance and CC07

So, my questions are:

1 rub
2 dry it
3 for flake dry not yet crusty
4 open the tin for a while
YEAH COBS

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 am

I smoke a lot of flake and I don't rub it out. I roll it up and stick it in with the edges sticking up. I then scratch the top of the tobacco with a tamper so that it's easier to get lit. I've never had much trouble with too wet tobacco, but I know some people have a lot more preferences in that area than I do.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Steverino

Re: How do you smoke your "flake" tobacco? & H

Post by Steverino » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 am

michigander wrote:So, my questions are:

1) Roll/bend/fold, whatever seems appropriate for the particular flake shape and size.
2) Once in a while I'll try drying, but I don't really like my tobacco real dry. Some swear by it, though. Whatever works.
3) I have never really tried to quantify it.
4) I just let it sit out on a paper tower for maybe 30 minutes to an hour.

FWIW, my tobacconist says you should rub out a flake if you're going to smoke it inside, and smoke it whole if you're going to smoke it outside. Says it burns slower in flake form and is not affected by the wind as much. Since I have kinda sorta got the hang of packing a flake, I just usually smoke them whole. For example, with the Escudo, I can take one coin and fold it twice and it fits perfectly in a bowl the size of a Grabow Duke (quite small). In a larger bowl such as a Peterson 313, a load of two coins seems just right. Through experimentation, I've gotten to where I enjoy most flakes right well.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Briarfox
Brother of the Bum Blocks
Brother of the Bum Blocks

Post by Briarfox » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:11 am

My favorite tobacco is a good Virginia Flake. Like steve noted, If your smoking it outside where it's breezy then don't rub it out as much. This will make it smoke slower and cooler.

I tent to partially rub most of the time.

GrabowGuy
I get no stars, and will like it.

Post by GrabowGuy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:28 pm

I like my flake out of the tin moist. I find when any tobacco is dry it becomes harsh. I used to just roll or stack my flake and it does provide for a long smoke, but it has a tendency to get hot though because of the density of the tobacco when packed that way creates much more heat.
I prefer to rub it out now. I find it smokes much cooler and dryer even when the baccy is straight from the tin.
There is no general rule on this matter so smoke it the way that pleases you best.
COBS SUCK!

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: How do you smoke your

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:35 pm

I am done folding, rolling, rubbing, and twisting. I love flakes and have spent years trying to figure them out, but view them as ginormous pain in the butt. Lately, I've been cutting the flakes across the grain and smoking them cubed. I just burned through an entire tin of Sterling Flake this way and I'm hooked.

Easy to pack, easy to light, even to burn, and I don't have to jack with it throughout the smoke.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: How do you smoke

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:44 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:35 pm
I am done folding, rolling, rubbing, and twisting. I love flakes and have spent years trying to figure them out, but view them as ginormous pain in the butt. Lately, I've been cutting the flakes across the grain and smoking them cubed. I just burned through an entire tin of Sterling Flake this way and I'm hooked.

Easy to pack, easy to light, even to burn, and I don't have to jack with it throughout the smoke.
But, but, but...you’re doing it right. I rub them out unless I’m in a gale or on the golf course. Then I might smoke them whole, but I’m more apt to light a cigar.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:56 pm

JimVH wrote:

How long does that take? I assume you just whip out a pocket knife and go to town.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 am

JimVH wrote:

That is a great way to smoke a flake.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:56 pm
JimVH wrote:

How long does that take? I assume you just whip out a pocket knife and go to town.
I have a pair of dollar store scissors laying on the bar with my stuff. It only takes a moment to cut a flake or two. If I want to take flakes out with me I just cut the number of flakes I need and carry them in a zip lock bag.

I'm cutting the strips around 1/8 or 3/16" right now. Smaller v chunkier does seem to make a bit of difference in the way it smokes.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 am

I usually rub it. I've found that I have difficulty getting a good pack when I cut it in to cubes. For me, there's a fine line between just dumping them in the bowl and tamping them too tightly. Of course I have the same problem with flakes in general. It's hard to find that sweet spot that's tight enough to stay lit but not too tight to draw.

I've had good luck with das' shove and twist method if I first break the flakes in to longish fibers.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 am

No universal rule here regarding drying or amount of rubbing. It depends on the flake.

I smoke a lot of Samuel Gawith flakes (mostly FVF and BBF). Their thickness varies, but they're almost always thicker than the other flakes I smoke and almost always wetter.

Typically, I rub them out onto a paper towel and squeeze the rubbed out tobacco gently after a while and check it now and then until it feels right (not too wet, not too dry) before I load it. I say typically, because sometimes I just rub it out, let it sit for a 15 or 20 minutes and then load it just because I'm ready to smoke.

For me, at least, the process has come less fussy over time. More a matter of intuition than a regimen or formula.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 am

"Fold and Place" for me usually with a "Das Twist."

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39667&hilit=stuff+place+fold
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 pm

I too have used the das-twisy method.

I've been a rub it out guy for a long time.

But, this cube cut option is looking like something I'll try tonight.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 pm
I too have used the das-twisy method.

I've been a rub it out guy for a long time.

But, this cube cut option is looking like something I'll try tonight.
As a follow up. Presently. Stone Haven in the JimVH Cube cut method in a Dunhill Billiard. Dern fine, boys. Dern fine.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:42 pm

UncleBob wrote:This is how I pack a flake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tzmB0JInY
+1. Never any major problems this way

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:42 pm
UncleBob wrote:This is how I pack a flake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tzmB0JInY
+1. Never any major problems this way

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
You've had major problems smoking?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Do we think all tobacco expands or just flakes that are left mostly intact?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe