Cary Grant in The Philadelphia Story
"Reverence the deacons as the commandment of God." -- St. Ignatius of Antioch
"That low-down, dirty deacon done stole my gal and gone!" -- Church Bell Blues
TUCOPS Member 09052

GScott
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire

Post by GScott » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:34 am

Just out: "The Greatest Game Ever Played". Has lots of fun golf :lol: and lots of fun pipes :lol: ! The perfect combination :lol: ! A good family movie too :lol: . No sexual crud; little cussing (at least I don't remember any). Great scenery. Great drama and story. Highly recommend it.

KosherCowboy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KosherCowboy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:23 am

tell me if I am seeing things, it's not a movie, but........ alright all you xbox/pc gamers tell if if I am right or wrong, but the admiral on "Halo" in one of the opening cut sceens has a pipe in his hand . I don't think he smokes it though, just uses it to point around.(yeah I know it's not a movie)

See the class and style of smoking a pipe will still be there in the future!!

KC
"Quiting smoking is easy, I've done it a thousand times" -- Mark Twain
"The difference between a man and his valet: they both smoke the same cigars, but only one pays for them" -- Robert Frost

gospeldj
Pastor
Pastor

Post by gospeldj » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:47 am

In "Grapes of Wrath" there's a guy who is in charge of a camp, and he's smoking a pipe while talking to the Joads.

Also, in "Spencers' Mountain" the university president either smokes a pipe or is handling one after talking to Mr. Spencer about his son going to college.

Also, I saw an interview once with Ian Anderson (lead singer of Jethro Tull) and he was smoking, what looked to me like, a Ben Wade freehand.
I'm not coming down out of this tree until you say you'll play football for the Methodists.

AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:54 am

Again, I realize it is not a movie, but several episodes of Murder She wrote have people with pipes. In one she gives an old Meer that was her husband's to a friend.

iawarrior
Usher
Usher

Post by iawarrior » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:52 am

The movie Clue. The Professor (Christopher Lloyd) smokes a pipe throught the whole movie.

Then of course Shadowlands because it is about C.S. Lewis. That movie was awesome. My wife and I cried all through the ending.

rattfink138
Usher
Usher

Post by rattfink138 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:06 pm

Sorry for bumping all of these old messages...

I just got the Monty Python complete Flying Circus DVD set (16 DVDs) for Christmas. Graham Chapman smokes a straight pipe in almost every episode.
Strenuous intellectual work and the study of God's nature are the angels that will lead me through all the troubles of this life with consolation, strength, and uncompromising rigor." -Albert Einstein

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: Pipe friendly movie favorites.

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am

Two of my greatest pleasures in life are historical crime and the work of Orson Welles. Given this, it's a wonder that I only just watched 1959's Compulsion with Dean Stockwell and Orson Welles.

It's a semi-fictionalized account of the Leopold & Loeb trail with Welles playing a character based on famed attorney Clarence Darrow. While Darrow wasn't, to my knowledge, a pipe smoker, Welles appears smoking a pipe in several of the scenes. Image
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re:

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 pm

TouchToneTommy wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:22 pm
"Mr. Blandings builds his dream house" is THE pipe smoking movie. I just can't even explain it, but when it shows up on AMC you've got to see it.
I second this. That film is replete with pipe smoking to almost a gratuitous extent.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 am

Father Goose, a wwII comedy with Cary Grant, Leslie Caron, Trevor Howard and others. It's a great show for older kids, actually.

Trevor Howard is the pipe smoker, with a different pipe seemingly in every scene. Some very nice looking pipes too.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: Re:

Post by A_Morley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:55 am

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 pm
TouchToneTommy wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:22 pm
"Mr. Blandings builds his dream house" is THE pipe smoking movie. I just can't even explain it, but when it shows up on AMC you've got to see it.
I second this. That film is replete with pipe smoking to almost a gratuitous extent.
ImageThere's even been a "Blandings Collection" of matched, boxed pipes that's been recently released.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:33 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am
Two of my greatest pleasures in life are historical crime and the work of Orson Welles. Given this, it's a wonder that I only just watched 1959's Compulsion with Dean Stockwell and Orson Welles.

It's a semi-fictionalized account of the Leopold & Loeb trail with Welles playing a character based on famed attorney Clarence Darrow. While Darrow wasn't, to my knowledge, a pipe smoker, Welles appears smoking a pipe in several of the scenes. Image
I read somewhere that Darrow would smoke a cigar w/ a wire run through it so the ash wouldn't fall off during the prosecution's summation to distract the jury.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:16 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:33 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am

I read somewhere that Darrow would smoke a cigar w/ a wire run through it so the ash wouldn't fall off during the prosecution's summation to distract the jury.
That story is usually told about Mark Twain testifying in a trial against a friend and wishing to distract the jury from what he was saying.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS