Pipe friendly movie favorites.

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Pipe friendly movie favorites.

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:38 am

I have never really noticed pipes in moves with much distinction till I became an avid pipe smoker. I had just ordered my 1st pipe, a meer lions head, & was watching 1 of my favorite movies at work, Getteysburg, & noticed a sourthern general pull out his meer to smoke, & it was virtually the same as the one I had ordered! Way cool.
I watched an old Judy Garland movie last week at work & the love intrest smoked a billard. He had it in his mouth about 85 % of the movie upside down, & only when he went to lite it once did he seem to notice it. Pretty funny.
I watched a civil war movie a few weaks ago called Bitter Creek. I would recomend this movie as I really enjoyed it. They had all kinds of pipes from clays, meers, briars, & what ever ealse there is to smoke from. It was a very interesting pipe/war movie.

So what movies have caught your eye in the way of pipe smoking that you would recomend?
Veni vidi velcroe

I came, I saw, I stuck around

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 am

So what movies have caught your eye in the way of pipe smoking that you would recomend?
Just about any of the Bing Crosby movies, of course. My wife and I were watching (again!) Holiday Inn this past weekend, which features the pipe quite a bit. I noticed for the first time (how it has escaped me in the past I don't know) that the tie he's wearing in some of the scenes is printed with pipes all over it.

Also, but not a movie, I happened to have the TV on the Gameshow Network last night, watching the "Match Game" (early '70s, Gene Rayburn hosted), and one of their regular celebrity panel folks (Charles ???, can't remember his last name) almost always is smoking a pipe during the show.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:06 am

Charles Nelson Reily, is my guess.
Veni vidi velcroe

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:17 am

Gods and Generals - a favorite of mine...

Just saw a Dennis the Menace movie over the weekend - his dad has a pipe.

And we've been watching the first season of Little House on the Prarie. Charles smokes a pipe - actual smoke - ooooh aaaaaah.

I think someone in the Muppet Movie may have had a pipe... but I'm not sure. I'll have to watch that one again this weekend.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:08 am

In a lot of the old Bond movies, 007's superior officer has a pipe going. Can't remember his name right now.
Tony McCallie :pipe:

Sirbax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sirbax » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:14 am

M
<div>Hear my weekly PODCAST on the history of the world around us at <a href="http://www.audioalmanac.com/">www.AudioAlmanac.com</a>. <br><br>Please spread the word on this PODCAST!!!</div><br>

Michael
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Michael » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:06 pm

-- Practically any Sherlock Holmes movie!

-- In "Murder on the Orient Express," an adaptation of an Agatha Christie mystery, Sean Connery plays an Englishman who smokes a pipe.

-- I'll second the Bing Crosby movies. Bing was an avid pipeman.

DaveAF
Congregation
Congregation

Post by DaveAF » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:29 pm

All of the movies I've seen Lee Van Cleef in have pipes. He was "the Bad" in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Sing song quietly to yourself, you know you want to.....

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:42 pm

DaveAF wrote:Sing song quietly to yourself, you know you want to.....
I watch that movie every time it's on...then, of course, I get the tune in my head and constantly whistle it for a few days, until my wife loses it altogether :twisted:
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:12 pm

I got thrashed in boot camp by a DI for whistling in unifrom, the tune was the G,B, & U. Seems they have have this here regulation about
whistleing in uniform. <redacted_emoji> Another lesson learned. I have that movie on DVD but don't watch it very often. I think I've probaly seen it 8 times on tv, & video.

One thing I will say is that if someone in the movie smokes a pipe as part of their roll, they are generaly not the village idiot type! See Hollyweird can't get anything right! :egor:
Last edited by Searcher-4-Truth on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veni vidi velcroe

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:32 pm

Lee van Cleef... there's a guy who looked menacing with a pipe...

The Blues Brothers was on last night and I notice 2 separate pipe smokers (the nazi guy and the bass player - who smoked while he played!).

-Andrew

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:52 pm

I hate Illinois nazis. :x
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:29 pm

LOL above :lol: taht;s a good line from Blues Bros.
Veni vidi velcroe

ParkBear
Congregation
Congregation

Post by ParkBear » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:57 am

The Parent Trap, the grandpa smokes a pipe
Park Bear

TouchToneTommy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TouchToneTommy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:22 pm

"Mr. Blandings builds his dream house" is THE pipe smoking movie. I just can't even explain it, but when it shows up on AMC you've got to see it.

thegreatswalmi
Sandblasted Canadian
Sandblasted Canadian

Post by thegreatswalmi » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:28 pm

Derek Smalls from Spinal Tap (aka Harry Shearer) smokes a huge pipe in the band's interviews. i love that guy! awesome bassist, good singer, and he voices the simpsons. could you get any better?

LtMac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Pipe smoking movie favorites

Post by LtMac » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:48 pm

The pipe smoking bass player in "The Blues Brothers" movie is Donald "Duck" Dunn, an outstanding blues musician in his own right. You will find his name listed if you do a search for famous pipe smokers. I can't recall if it shows a picture of him or not.

On the 1978 Vietnam war movie entitled "The Boys in Company C" (which is a cheezy movie in my opinion) the Gunnery Sergeant smokes a pipe during foot patrol and while resting. If any of you are familiar with former Marine DI turned actor R. Lee Ermey (of Full Metal Jacket movie and Mail Call TV show fame) the movie The Boys in Company C is is first acting role after retiring from the Marines. He plays (what else) a DI in Marine boot camp.

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:52 pm

Is it the movie about the guy who's house is being built & it's pushing heaven out ? I heard about that somewhere, but really can't remember where or when. It just sounds like that must be it.
Veni vidi velcroe

LtMac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Pipe friendly movies

Post by LtMac » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:36 pm

The Boys in Company C is a movie that is vaguely similar to Full Metal Jacket. It follows a bunch of draftees into the Marine Corps from arrival at recruit training depot till the end of the movie in the Vietnam war. Andrew Stevens plays a high school baseball star who gets drafted and gets addicted to prescription pain medication during the war. There is a young black recruit who comes from inner city Detroit. He has a plan to make a lot of money by shipping drugs back to the US in filled body bags until he finds out about the corruption in the Vietnamese military and then fights them at all costs. The movie climaxes in a soccer match between the US team and the Vietnamese championship team.

LtMac

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:53 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't notice thi had gone to page 2, & I was asking abour the movie at the near nptton of pn one.
I stood in the same yelloe footprints as the boy's in Co C, & saw that movie why back when it wa in the theater. :?
Veni vidi velcroe