Pipe friendly movie favorites.

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Slick
Congregation
Congregation

Wayne's World

Post by Slick » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:26 am

As I was watching the USA network this weekend while doing some painting around the apartment I noticed Garth from the movie Wayne's World smoke's a pipe in a scene that takes place the very next morning after he makes it with a girl for the very first time...Garth even wears a smoking jacket in that seen.

Party On...Wayne...Party on Garth.

Slick

A_Regular_Guy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by A_Regular_Guy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:22 am

This past weekend I was watching a movie I had not heard of called "Son Of The Morning Star" about Custer and the Little Big Horn. He had a guy named Benson in his calvary that was constantly smoking what looked like a Peterson.

It was a good flick, I found it at our library with about an inch of dust on it.

Reg Guy
"Outside of a dog, a guitar is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to play guitar!"

Pooka
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Pooka » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:26 am

A friend of mine plays the X-box. His favorite game is "HALO" in which the captain of the space ship has a pipe that looks just like something Random (from Tyler's website) would make.
Reformed Presbyterian (gasp)
Restored
Smokey
Chief Sailor (still sailing)
savedpook on Gmail
http://www.lordandhearth.com

digger
Congregation
Congregation

Post by digger » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:39 pm

I was watching Deliverance the other night on TNT for the millionth time and I had never noticed that John Voight smokes a pipe in it; Especially the part when the two red necks assault him and his fat friend in the woods. John Voight (while tied to a tree) has a pipe hanging out of his mouth and a tobacco pouch in his hand. One of the red necks knocks the pipe from his mouth!!! :x
Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:28 am

I was watching "Leave it to Beaver" last night. The Vice Principal of Beaver's school called the Beave at home. When they showed the VP sitting at his desk there was pipe rack in the foreground with half a dozen pipes.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

thegreatswalmi
Sandblasted Canadian
Sandblasted Canadian

Post by thegreatswalmi » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:54 pm

just saw "the big bounce" with owen wilson. morgan freeman smokes a great danish-looking throughout! nicely done, morg.
mike

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:42 pm

I am shocked that no one mentioned the LOR movies!
Also Dan Ackroyd (sp?) smokes a pipe in in that great cinematic masterpiece Coneheads. But the ultimate (in my opinion) pipe smoking movie is, in fact, The Quiet Man (Mickey O'Flinn). :D

Uncle Bob

A_Regular_Guy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by A_Regular_Guy » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:26 pm

I was setting in the family room tonight watching "Return Of The Jedi" with my boys when the camera panned slowly across all of the little Ewocks in the village. There in the foreground, in plain sight was a little guy smoking a pipe....crude looking, but a pipe none the less!

:D
"Outside of a dog, a guitar is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to play guitar!"

pdtheo
Congregation
Congregation

Post by pdtheo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:56 pm

Bob's got my second: "The Quiet Man" was one of the reasons I got my first Peterson!

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:19 pm

TouchToneTommy wrote:"Mr. Blandings builds his dream house" is THE pipe smoking movie. I just can't even explain it, but when it shows up on AMC you've got to see it.
Saw the first 15 mintues or so of this - it was great! I had to leave so I asked my wife to keep track of the pipes in the movie. I asked her later how many more pipes were there. She said - "Oh, they all had pipes." Cool... I gotta see the rest of that one.
Praying - coco

Mr_Wothouse
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Mr_Wothouse » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:19 pm

Ah, The Quiet Man is a great movie!

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:25 am

Mr_Wothouse wrote:Ah, The Quiet Man is a great movie!
"No patty fingers in the Holy water!!"
Praying - coco

Mr_Wothouse
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Mr_Wothouse » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:10 pm

I was in an Irish Trad band and we were playing at a St Patricks Day celebration here in town. The whistle/pipes player told me about The Quiet Man while practicing the tune "Saint Patricks Day" and Garry Owen. The former tune (as you may know already) is the music played in snatches throughout the movie. I saw the film, and loved it.

Regards,
James

Pooka
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Pooka » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:41 am

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" Angel Eyes has a really pretty pipe. A bit anachronistic for the Old West, I think, it being unlikely they'd have vulcanite stems at the time.
Reformed Presbyterian (gasp)
Restored
Smokey
Chief Sailor (still sailing)
savedpook on Gmail
http://www.lordandhearth.com

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:03 am

I watched "Out of Africa" the other night. Spotted a couple pipes in hands here and there. Don't think I saw anyone actually smoking one.
Praying - coco

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:18 pm

John-Boy wrote:
TouchToneTommy wrote:"Mr. Blandings builds his dream house" is THE pipe smoking movie. I just can't even explain it, but when it shows up on AMC you've got to see it.
Saw the first 15 mintues or so of this - it was great! I had to leave so I asked my wife to keep track of the pipes in the movie. I asked her later how many more pipes were there. She said - "Oh, they all had pipes." Cool... I gotta see the rest of that one.
I watched it on Turner classic movies a few weeks ago or so, & I laughrd my head off! Old movies are so good.

Wish I could still build a dream house for around 30K 8O

Also a super excelent pipe movie I re-rented recently from Krogers grocery store, is called "Wicked Springs" It's a civil war movie about 3 Bill Yanks & 3 Johnny Rebs who spend a night together unaware they are not on the same team. I would recomend this movie highly. Probably hard to find tho, as it wasn't a mainstream type of movie.
Veni vidi velcroe

I came, I saw, I stuck around

loom777
Congregation
Congregation

Post by loom777 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:16 am

btw... a remake of "MR.Blandings ..." is going to be shoot in 2005(summer)...i´m afraid they won´t use pipes :-/

pipesmoke
Congregation
Congregation

Post by pipesmoke » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:13 pm

Morgan Freeman gets a lot of camera time, by today's standards, with his freehand pipe and a zippo lighter in The Big Bounce.

dcnpatience
Congregation
Congregation

Post by dcnpatience » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:31 pm

I just saw Stand By for Action (1942) on Turner Classic Movies this weekend, the story of a WWI-era U.S. Navy destroyer, the Warren, brought out of mothballs for service in the Pacific Fleet. The main characters are a captain (Brian Donlevy) who has worked his way up through the ranks, his new executive officer (Robert Taylor), a Harvard man whose ascent in the Navy has been easy, and the chief yeoman (Walter Brennan) who cared for the Warren while it was decommissioned and manages to re-enlist for her second tour.

In one of the early scenes, the XO is smoking a pipe on deck -- the captain is a cigarette man -- and the pipe smoke blows into the captain's face. He asks the XO if he wouldn't mind standing to leeward in future. There are a couple of other scenes where we understand the pipe reminds the captain of the XO's privileged upbringing.

Through a variety of dangers and challenges, including rescuing a lifeboat full of women and children -- and helping to deliver two babies as the Warren heads into battle! -- the XO comes to learn some important lessons about command, and the captain comes to trust his XO to do the right thing.

At the end of the film, as the Warren heads back out to sea under the Golden Gate bridge, the captain joins the XO on deck and we realize he's now smoking a pipe, too. The sun sets on the two men walking together, smoke rising from their matching pipes.
"Reverence the deacons as the commandment of God." -- St. Ignatius of Antioch
"That low-down, dirty deacon done stole my gal and gone!" -- Church Bell Blues
TUCOPS Member 09052

AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:05 pm

Having two young kids we were watching Disney's remake of the parent trap. The the twins grandfather is smoking a pipe. Not only that, they draw attention to it by having one of the girls saying whenever she thinks of her grandfather she will remember him smelling of "mint and pipe tobacco"!