Herbal Blends

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
churchwarden
Congregation
Congregation

Herbal Blends

Post by churchwarden » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:26 pm

Does anyone know of any herbal blends that don't smell like you're smoking dope, or don't bring you close to actually smoking dope? I've tried the American Spirit herbal blend once. If you're concerned about appearances of evil. don't mess with this product. Also, don't put mint tea leaves in your tobacco--you will go to jail. Herbal blends could never be considered a substitute for tobacco, but it could be an interesting alternative.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:35 am

Well, I've never tried any purely herbal blends, but I have had a couple of blends with Deer Tongue in them. That's entirely a matter of taste...Deer Tongue is also known as false vanilla, so you can just about guess what it tastes like. I do occasionally like a bowl of Crooner from Cornell and Diehl.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Benjy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benjy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:41 am

I've often wondered (with the "dangers" of tobacco and all):
Could one smoke something other than tobacco? Is there a substitute?

Someone once told me that it's not necessarily the tobacco that is the problem.. it's the fact that smoking anything produces cancer-causing agents.

joekm
ButtButtBaldyBumbleheadf00f

Post by joekm » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:39 am

Benjy wrote:I've often wondered (with the "dangers" of tobacco and all):
Could one smoke something other than tobacco? Is there a substitute?

Someone once told me that it's not necessarily the tobacco that is the problem.. it's the fact that smoking anything produces cancer-causing agents.
By extension then, with all the hooplah surrounding "second-hand smoke", would it not follow that I should not allow my children to sit around a campfire?

I'd be curious to see that answer to this question myself.
It's always the quiet ones.....isn't it?

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:44 am

joekm wrote:would it not follow that I should not allow my children to sit around a campfire?
You also might want to be careful about allowing them to worship in any church that burns incense. :P
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Benjy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benjy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:34 am

you do have a point there...about the campfire. I've thought the same thing. I've seen the reports about pipe smokers living longer than nonsmokers... so I'm not too worried about it (plus the fact I only smoke 1-3 bowls a week... )

but i was just curious... i mean who's to say we can't fill our briars wit a little pork? :wink:

BBQ!

Pooka
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Pooka » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:42 am

The answer to BBQ is simple enough: McClelland's #25 or Frog Across the Pond resemble very much the distinctive scent of BBQ sauce upon opening the tin. I'm thinking of Heinz57 (of course, burning candidate K's wife's wedded namesake might be repulsive to some).

Political smoke, anyone?
Reformed Presbyterian (gasp)
Restored
Smokey
Chief Sailor (still sailing)
savedpook on Gmail
http://www.lordandhearth.com

joekm

Post by joekm » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:47 am

I think the biggest danger of sitting around a campfire is the occasional flaming sticky gob of marshmallow that files of the stick of an over-exuberant child :wink:
It's always the quiet ones.....isn't it?

A_Regular_Guy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by A_Regular_Guy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:46 am

Hey Perry,

Occasionally, I will run across a scource for Kinnikinik a native american blend of tobacco. While it does have tobacco in it, it doesn't contain any illegal herbs in it as is so often suspected.

Native people have four herbs that are sacred to us. They are:

Cedar

Sage

Sweetgrass

and Tobacco!

but kinnikinik can be made up of many different types of things, so I would have to get you a list of the ingredients for each blend.

Different tribes had different blends that they used and they also had different blends that they used for different things. So as you can see, we don't all like one different type of blend, and they didn't either. I hope this helps...

Reg Guy
"Outside of a dog, a guitar is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to play guitar!"