Pipe cleaning

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Mr_Wothouse
Congregation
Congregation

Pipe cleaning

Post by Mr_Wothouse » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:29 pm

Being new, I am wondering if I am doing this correctly. After dumping the remaining ash and removing the dottle, I cover the bowl and blow into the stem, and then run a cleaner through the stem to the bowl a few times. I know there is supposed to be a cake in the bowl, but when/how should I keep the bowl itself clean?

~James

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:58 pm

Works for me. Only thing I do different is to blow without covering usually towards the trash can. :D
Veni vidi velcroe

I came, I saw, I stuck around

OldSeaRock
Congregation
Congregation

Post by OldSeaRock » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:23 pm

After the bowl is smoked completely I will stir the bottom with my tamper.

Then, I cover the top of the bowl and shake the unlit ashes up and down in the pipe to cover the walls with ash.

Then, I will dump the tobacco out and blow through the pipe.

Lastly, I run a cleaner through the stem and pipe (without taking the pipe apart) and put it in my rack.

Hope this helps!

Mr_Wothouse
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Mr_Wothouse » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:29 pm

Thanks! Sounds like what I'm doing then, basically. I do blow through the stem uncovered before setting the pipe down. I only have one briar, and one cob right now, so I don't have a rack--yet :D I think I may get another University and a Peterson. The University smokes so easily, I like it a lot, and they are inexpensive.

So now I'm a pipe smoker, and I am thinking I will be happy with, say, half a dozen good pipes. But it probably won't end there, will it? :wink:

OldSeaRock
Congregation
Congregation

Post by OldSeaRock » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:46 am

James,

You're enjoying it - so you're doing the right thing! You don't have to spend big bucks, you don't need 35 pipes... Buy what you like, keep asking questions and decide for yourself just who and what makes sense!

Folks here are ready to help; All I can suggest is that at some point you'll understand that this hobby is 30% fact and 70% opinion. Or, at least that's MY opinion...hehe :lol:

hicksdm
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by hicksdm » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:48 am

Did you ever think about a meershaum pipe. You can smoke these over and over without the worry of them going sour. They are easy to care for and will give your briar and cob a rest when needed.