How I became a Christian Atheist

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:03 am

blenheimbard wrote:I will agree with you on one point: "I've haven't thought about it much.." Yup, it shows.
Watch this blenheimbard guy Del, he's brutal.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:54 am

Del is very smart, very wise, and is more than happy to help you out in whatever manner that he might be able to do so. But be aware, he is also very brutal and very Catholic :twisted:

And Onyx, from what I have read I'll say that you're not an atheist. You admitted it in the first post of this thread when you said that you do not know if there is a God. If anything, I'd say that you're agnostic with Christian leanings - that is both more accurate and less offensive.
"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us."
-Anne Lamott

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Re: How I became a Christian Atheist

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:55 pm

Thank you for the link to this thread.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

CaptainBlack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: How I became a Christian Atheist

Post by CaptainBlack » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you for our transparency. The term, “Christian Atheist” does not offend me. It confuses me. For one thing, the labels contract each other and both of them fail to describe who you are. I agree with those here who have described as an Agnostic.

A faith journey that begins as an act of rebellion does not seem likely to end and such was your case for Christianity in your life.

Corruption is an understandable reason to walk away. And I have little patience for hypocrisy. I much prefer the honesty and transparency in your post. While numerous churches and organizations suffer the former characteristics, there are plenty of others that attempt to reflect Christ. But our propensity for sin can cloud that reflection.

But corruption is not inevitable give the points you noted:

“If you teach that God speaks to men, then men will believe that their own will is spoken to them by God.”

This is mitigated when we are taught to test such proclamation against the Scripture.

“If you teach that men must have faith without seeing, men will be vulnerable to believe what they are told.”

The faith that we are to have without seeing is faith in God and His message of Salvation. There is nothing wrong with testing the accounts of man against Scripture and the evidence available.

“If you teach that scripture should not be privately interpreted, but rather read in context with guidance of the Holy Spirit, then men will believe that their interpretation is inspired of God. “

God certainly provides insight into the interpretation with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. But He has also provided with a wealth of scholarships and the whole of Scripture itself to shed light on various passages. We can still make mistakes along the way but many Christians have reached the same or similar conclusions regarding the essentials of faith.

The bottom line, God WANTS to use as our heads as well as our hearts while pursuing our faith. But He doesn’t want us to so in a vacuum. The Bible encourage us to seek the counsel of others.

The inconsistencies you site may have to deal with understanding of the timing of Biblical events. Sometimes accounts were told in a ways that reflected the understanding of those to whom they were addressed. Given the description of the movement of the sun, a discourse in astronomy just wasn’t important at the time.

To the critic, these call into question the validity of Scripture. To the man of faith, they are opportunities to explore the possibilities of how God has interacted with the world He created.

I’m glad to hear that you are inspired by the teachings of Jesus but He also taught that He is God and that Heaven is for real. And He routinely taught from Scripture you’ve called into question. Therefore this man was either a liar, a lunatic, or Lord.

The doctrine of Hell should never be used as a weapon of manipulation but described as a component of the afterlife that is to be avoided, not by living up to a set of standards but by embracing Christ as Lord and Savior.

You’ve obviously come to where you are after a great deal of introspection but I hope your journey hasn’t come to an end. For that matter, I hope the same for all of us.

Evidence has shown me that there is more than life on this planet, that God is real, and a rich and eternal relationship is possible. And as I embrace that faith, I continue to ask questions myself and continually grow in knowledge and in that faith along the way.

While I cannot call you a brother in Christ, you are a brother as one seeking truth and as well as a brother of the briar.

Peace to you as well!

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re:

Post by Thunktank » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:31 pm

Onyx wrote:
Thunktank wrote:I too am crying. But at the same time I understand what your saying. You and I are not that much different. We are only at different stages. After the stage you're in now did I finally give myself to God. Today, I have no doubts whatsoever that God is there and loves us all.

You have no idea the number of times I've read your posts and thought to myself how much you sounded like me ten years ago. You did again here.

Sincerely,
Steve (Innocent)
Yes, it's an interesting walk. Ten years ago I never would have guessed I'd be writing this. Maybe in another ten years I'll be Orthodox, you'll be a Real Baptist, and the Preacherman will be serving a communion to Del.
Funny how things turn out, isn't it? Del hasn't changed one little bit. :lol:

Rusty and I were just talking about how real the experience with Jesus can be. In 2009 I was likely at my hight of faith in Jesus.
It’s almost believable, but I love it most of the time whether it’s true or not.