Encouragement

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Encouragement

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:56 am

On the side of the page of today's daily devotion at the BibleHub web page was the following collection of verses:

Exodus 34:6 Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth;
Ephesians 4:1,2 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, • with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
Galatians 6:9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
James 5:7,8 Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains. • You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near.

They provided some encouragement I was in need of today.
I pass them along as maybe they will edify you.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: Encouragement

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:15 am

John-Boy wrote:Thanks
Well timed.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

vwdeano
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction

Post by vwdeano » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Appreciated. I've just had a nice vacation, and am headed back into the fray at work... I have no doubt that stacks and stacks of character-building problems to solve await me.
Dean
"A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself"

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Good thread. Wish I found it earlier.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:00 am

This is not my usual CPS activity, but if it keeps being dished out, I am compelled to share:

The LORD of Heaven's Armies has spoken--
who can change his plans?
When his hand is raised,
who can stop him?"
— Isaiah 14:27 NLT

Psalm 16:5 The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot.

Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

2 Timothy 1:12 For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:11 am

From this morning’s devotion:

Morning and Evening by Spurgeon
Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Looking unto Jesus.
It is ever the Holy Spirit's work to turn our eyes away from self to Jesus; but Satan's work is just the opposite of this, for he is constantly trying to make us regard ourselves instead of Christ. He insinuates, "Your sins are too great for pardon; you have no faith; you do not repent enough; you will never be able to continue to the end; you have not the joy of his children; you have such a wavering hold of Jesus." All these are thoughts about self, and we shall never find comfort or assurance by looking within. But the Holy Spirit turns our eyes entirely away from self: he tells us that we are nothing, but that "Christ is all in all." Remember, therefore, it is not thy hold of Christ that saves thee--it is Christ; it is not thy joy in Christ that saves thee--it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, though that be the instrument--it is Christ's blood and merits; therefore, look not so much to thy hand with which thou art grasping Christ, as to Christ; look not to thy hope, but to Jesus, the source of thy hope; look not to thy faith, but to Jesus, the author and finisher of thy faith. We shall never find happiness by looking at our prayers, our doings, or our feelings; it is what Jesus is, not what we are, that gives rest to the soul. If we would at once overcome Satan and have peace with God, it must be by "looking unto Jesus." Keep thine eye simply on him; let his death, his sufferings, his merits, his glories, his intercession, be fresh upon thy mind; when thou wakest in the morning look to him; when thou liest down at night look to him. Oh! let not thy hopes or fears come between thee and Jesus; follow hard after him, and he will never fail thee.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:59 am

The earlier posts in this thread were offered as encouragement to others as I was finding it then in my daily devotions.
Some of you are aware that 2011 to 2016 was a very tough period for me, especially financially. I remain in a hole, but have stopped digging.
The Lord has blessed me, now, then and for a long time.

However, I should emphasize that I never want to mislead anyone about worship and spiritual life. It is first and foremost about God the Trinity and praise for Jesus Christ as redeemer of the lost, including me, only because of God's love, grace and mercy. I cannot allow self interest to interfere or cloud the relationship between the Creator/Savior and me.

It is the nature of God that He also loves us, blesses us, and cares about all the things we have going on. The scripture teaches this plainly.

My life must increase in its honoring and glorifying God.

Some of what I read on CPS this morning was troubling to me, and I have begun to offer prayers for the situation. I believe in the encouragement I received as echoed in this thread, but I did not want anyone to have a skewed view of my testimony.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm

How did you make it through 5 years? I'm on year 4 and don't think I can make iy.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm
How did you make it through 5 years? I'm on year 4 and don't think I can make iy.
pm sent

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:00 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:59 am
The earlier posts in this thread were offered as encouragement to others as I was finding it then in my daily devotions.
Some of you are aware that 2011 to 2016 was a very tough period for me, especially financially. I remain in a hole, but have stopped digging.
The Lord has blessed me, now, then and for a long time.

However, I should emphasize that I never want to mislead anyone about worship and spiritual life. It is first and foremost about God the Trinity and praise for Jesus Christ as redeemer of the lost, including me, only because of God's love, grace and mercy. I cannot allow self interest to interfere or cloud the relationship between the Creator/Savior and me.

It is the nature of God that He also loves us , blesses us, and cares about all the things we have going on. The scripture teaches this plainly.

My life must increase in its honoring and glorifying God.

Some of what I read on CPS this morning was troubling to me, and I have begun to offer prayers for the situation. I believe in the encouragement I received as echoed in this thread, but I did not want anyone to have a skewed view of my testimony.
Amen, What is Gods core nature? Who is God? What is God?

LOVE

God is love.

Don't grow weary friends, don't give up hope, never stop trusting God and his Love.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:00 pm
Don't grow weary friends, don't give up hope, never stop trusting God and his Love.
Boosh, my friend. Boosh.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Philippians 1:6King James Version (KJV)

6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

When you have it on a shirt it's good to memorize it:

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:37 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:56 am
On the side of the page of today's daily devotion at the BibleHub web page was the following collection of verses:

Exodus 34:6 Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth;
Ephesians 4:1,2 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, • with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
Galatians 6:9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
James 5:7,8 Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains. • You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near.

They provided some encouragement I was in need of today.
I pass them along as maybe they will edify you.
Wonderful scriptures. Thank you! I was blessed by reading them
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:26 am

From www.biblehub.com, here is today's devotion:

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.— Matthew 6:31-33 ESV

There is nothing wrong with seeking food, or drink, or clothing. Jesus himself says the heavenly father knows we need them. The trouble comes when we focus our lives around the seeking of food, drink, clothing, and any other creaturely thing. The trouble comes when we get so anxious about having these things that we make them our first priority.

When we make the acquisition of things our first priority we run into the Solomon problem. The Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes tells us that King Solomon searched high and low for meaning in life by acquiring as much of everything as he could. What did he find? He found that "all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 2:11). When the acquisition of creaturely things is set up as the be-all and end-all of life it quickly loses its luster. The mere acquisition of things fails to satisfy the human quest for ultimate meaning and purpose.

Over and above the acquisition of things, but not apart from them, is the true meaning and purpose of life---seeking the Kingdom of God. What does it mean to seek the kingdom? It means to enter the kingdom and its righteousness by faith in Jesus Christ and it means to advance and develop the kingdom by serving the King in every area of life---including the acquisition of creaturely things. After all, you would not be much help to the King if you were naked and starving.

It is, therefore, a question of priorities. Do you seek these things for their own sake, or do you seek them in service to the King? If it's the first, then these things will never truly satisfy your quest for meaning. If it's the second, then they will not have to satisfy your quest, because you will have already found the true source of meaning and purpose.

And there's a bonus for seeking the Kingdom first. You get what you need as part of the package.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:38 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
One thing I've learned in my recent study of the Apostle Paul and his epistles is that the church (body of believers) is no better off today than it was when it was first being built in Paul's time. We (man) still act like sinful buffoons. CPS isn't immune to the same buffoonery. One passage that gives me hope and encouragement is Philippians 1:18, "But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice" (NIV).
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:28 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:38 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
One thing I've learned in my recent study of the Apostle Paul and his epistles is that the church (body of believers) is no better off today than it was when it was first being built in Paul's time. We (man) still act like sinful buffoons. CPS isn't immune to the same buffoonery. One passage that gives me hope and encouragement is Philippians 1:18, "But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice" (NIV).
Truth. Thanks.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:26 am

I use the daily devotional service at BibleHub.
Today's passage was one I intend to make more familiar to me, as I apparently have glossed over it in the past.
Below is a copy of the devotion from today:

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.
— Titus 2:11-13 ESV

Something important has happened and it has implications for all of life. What has happened? The "grace of God has appeared" and it brings "salvation for all people." What is the grace of God? It is the divine love and favor of God that has provided a way of salvation. Specifically, God's love and favor sent Jesus Christ into the world so that "'whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life'" (John 3:16). What has happened is that a way to escape eternal darkness and destruction has appeared, a way to participate in eternal redemption and restoration has been made available.

If we take advantage of this grace by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, then it trains or teaches us certain things. What does it teach us? According to the Apostle Paul, there are three things:

First, it trains us "to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions." Since God's grace is ultimately intended to redeem us and restore us, partaking of it teaches us and helps us to say "no" to these sins of the sinful self. What are these things? "Ungodliness" refers to the failure to properly acknowledge and obey God. "Worldly passions" refers to the failure to properly relate to our fellow human beings and the rest of the created order. Together, the two pretty much cover every kind of sin there is.

Second, it teaches us "to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives." God's grace helps us to say "no" to the sins of the sinful self and it also helps us to say "yes" to every positive virtue. Instead of ungodliness, we learn godliness. Instead of worldly passions, we learn to be self-controlled and upright. God's grace, in other words, trains us and helps us to turn our lives around from the fruitless and destructive way of life we once lived.

Finally, God's grace teaches us to wait for "our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ." God's grace has begun a good work in us, but it needs completion. We must wait, then, for the day when "he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6).

God's grace has appeared and it is working in us and changing us, but there is much more to come.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 am

Good thread, JR. Thanks!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:13 am

https://youtu.be/bn3ZfpjfPBM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech