Recent Kindnesses

We never get tired of hearing these tales.
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Recent Kindnesses

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:31 pm

What do you say we spend a little time speaking of recent Kindnesses that let us see the love present in the world? The kids helping old duffers, the old duffers helping kids, the unexpected complements...the light of Christ being shone into our lives?

I'm going to have to say that the recent events made me a lot more sensitive to these things. I'm an extrovert by nature, but not on the streets. I'm making an effort, though. This weekend, we were all at some ghastly birthday party for a kid at the Children's Museum. Wristbands, enforced fun, ick. So I sauntered outside to smoke a pipe and sat down next to an old black guy smoking a cob (gonna tell him it wasn't a pipe, Coco, you racist?).

Well, it turns out the duffer was smoking Nightcap. I ended up getting my arse handed to me when I went back inside twenty minutes later. We talked about gardening, how kids need to be taught to have fun, ways in which we annoy our wives, how that neighborhood wasn't the same when he was a kid. Just friendly. I know it isn't much. But there are unexpected good spots out there and I need to get better at seeing them. I walked away thinking we might not all want to kill each other.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Recent Kindnesses

Post by JimVH » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:11 pm

I was sitting at the gate on a layover awaiting a flight a couple of weeks ago when an older lady asked if the seat next to me was taken. I smiled and invited her to sit. I avoided my compulsion to talk to everyone I meet and left her alone. After several minutes she asked if I had come in on the flight from Houston and we started talking. Boom, it was like we were suddenly old family fiends. She had been visiting the MD Anderson cancer center in Houston and was now on her way back home out of state. We had a great conversation about our towns, our families, and our struggles. She was kind and wise. As the minutes wound down we exchanged contact information and prayer promises. I found out she'll be coming back to Houston for more treatments soon and will have to stay in town alone for a couple of months. She was excited that she wouldn't be alone with no one to lean on in a strange city. Rita and I are excited to be her go-to.

All because one stranger talked to another.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Nightcap in a cob is pretty good actually.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:46 pm

JimVH wrote:I was sitting at the gate on a layover awaiting a flight a couple of weeks ago when an older lady asked if the seat next to me was taken. I smiled and invited her to sit. I avoided my compulsion to talk to everyone I meet and left her alone. After several minutes she asked if I had come in on the flight from Houston and we started talking. Boom, it was like we were suddenly old family fiends. She had been visiting the MD Anderson cancer center in Houston and was now on her way back home out of state. We had a great conversation about our towns, our families, and our struggles. She was kind and wise. As the minutes wound down we exchanged contact information and prayer promises. I found out she'll be coming back to Houston for more treatments soon and will have to stay in town alone for a couple of months. She was excited that she wouldn't be alone with no one to lean on in a strange city. Rita and I are excited to be her go-to.

All because one stranger talked to another.
Nice. Dramatically nice. I, like you, used to be aggressively nice. Anybody that made eye contact was greeted. Anybody with interesting clothing or shoes was complimented. It was how I was raised. Then people got defensively weird, so I stopped. Now I'm wondering why I can't rely on much kindness in my day and it struck me that I wasn't giving much out, either.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Fainn wrote:Nightcap in a cob is pretty good actually.
I could see how it would be. I certainly didn't mean it as an insult, but it just made me happy that an old fellow doing his best Uncle Remus impersonation was smoking such an aristocratic tobacco. As in, I instantly knew I was going to like him.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:23 pm

much win there is
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:49 pm

My son in law showed me this yesterday. Sorry the quality is poor - it's a CNN video but I wanted to post the youtube version for easier viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyzE3HeymLY
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:14 pm

FredS wrote:My son in law showed me this yesterday. Sorry the quality is poor - it's a CNN video but I wanted to post the youtube version for easier viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyzE3HeymLY
That is exactly what I've been hoping to see. Texans are Texans. Americans are Americans. All lives matter. That made me cry in a good way.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Wonderful idea for a thread, hugodrax.

I'm happy to report that I live in an area where people still wave at each other as they pass on the county roads, smile and say hello to each other on the street.

The local soup kitchen (sadly, there are a lot of homeless here camping out in the national forest) began as an interfaith project begun by our former Lutheran pastor and hosted by one of three Catholic churches in our small town of 16,000. The interfaith alliance is strong and active and I've seen no animosity, in fact quite the opposite, between traditions and denomnations.

Far too many kindnesses to mention. I'll mention one.

A while back I had a terrible accident during which I shattered my femur, dislocated my pelvis and jacked up 5 levels of my spine. Still haven't recovered, but for over a year after the accident I could barely walk and was on crutches. No day went by without a dozen students wanting to carry books for me between classes, opening doors for me, volunteering to come to our house to shovel snow or do chores. Every day I still get an email or several offering support and asking if I need help with anything.

Forget all the terrible things you hear about college kids today; my experience is that they are almost without exception, caring, other-oriented, compassionate and involved.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:35 pm

durangopipe wrote:Wonderful idea for a thread, hugodrax.

I'm happy to report that I live in an area where people still wave at each other as they pass on the county roads, smile and say hello to each other on the street.

The local soup kitchen (sadly, there are a lot of homeless here camping out in the national forest) began as an interfaith project begun by our former Lutheran pastor and hosted by one of three Catholic churches in our small town of 16,000. The interfaith alliance is strong and active and I've seen no animosity, in fact quite the opposite, between traditions and denomnations.

Far too many kindnesses to mention. I'll mention one.

A while back I had a terrible accident during which I shattered my femur, dislocated my pelvis and jacked up 5 levels of my spine. Still haven't recovered, but for over a year after the accident I could barely walk and was on crutches. No day went by without a dozen students wanting to carry books for me between classes, opening doors for me, volunteering to come to our house to shovel snow or do chores. Every day I still get an email or several offering support and asking if I need I help with anything.

Forget all the terrible things you hear about college kids today; my experience is that they are almost without exception, caring, other-oriented, compassionate and involved.
The west is a nice place, isn't it? My memory of Montana was that everybody pretty much got along. Not utopian, but just basically kind. Believe it or not, I remember a lot of that here, too. Nice to know it still exists for you,

I think most people are pretty decent. We're just starting to forget that and focusing on those with crummy attitudes.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:50 pm

#bookmarked
DL Jake

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:. . .Forget all the terrible things you hear about college kids today; my experience is that they are almost without exception, caring, other-oriented, compassionate and involved.
. . .I think most people are pretty decent. We're just starting to forget that and focusing on those with crummy attitudes.
My brother posted a cartoon on FB the other day that shows a couple on the street. One says "My desire to stay well-informed is currently in conflict with my desire to remain sane." One could also say it's at odds with our desire to be nice to each other. I took a fishing trip with my buddy a few months ago. He drives a big UPS rig across the state and back every night and he listens to toxic talk radio all night long. It's got him so twisted up and angry about everything. I told him to try turning it off for three weeks and listening to music. I also suggested he concentrate on the micro and forget the macro. Work on caring for those closest to you and forget those in the news for a while. Working nights and sleeping days and listing to that junk news had him in such an isolated state that he literally couldn't see all the good stuff in his life.

Everybody who's raised children knows there's a period where it's difficult to balance the lessons of 'stranger danger' with every day living. We want our kids to be aware of the dangers they see reported in the news, but we don't want them so phobic that they're afraid to go to the park. I cut the cord and stopped listening to national news over a year ago, and I'm a much less angry man than I was then.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:10 pm

FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:. . .Forget all the terrible things you hear about college kids today; my experience is that they are almost without exception, caring, other-oriented, compassionate and involved.
. . .I think most people are pretty decent. We're just starting to forget that and focusing on those with crummy attitudes.
My brother posted a cartoon on FB the other day that shows a couple on the street. One says "My desire to stay well-informed is currently in conflict with my desire to remain sane." One could also say it's at odds with our desire to be nice to each other. I took a fishing trip with my buddy a few months ago. He drives a big UPS rig across the state and back every night and he listens to toxic talk radio all night long. It's got him so twisted up and angry about everything. I told him to try turning it off for three weeks and listening to music. I also suggested he concentrate on the micro and forget the macro. Work on caring for those closest to you and forget those in the news for a while. Working nights and sleeping days and listing to that junk news had him in such an isolated state that he literally couldn't see all the good stuff in his life.

Everybody who's raised children knows there's a period where it's difficult to balance the lessons of 'stranger danger' with every day living. We want our kids to be aware of the dangers they see reported in the news, but we don't want them so phobic that they're afraid to go to the park. I cut the cord and stopped listening to national news over a year ago, and I'm a much less angry man than I was then.
I couldn't agree more.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:59 am

A couple recently refused to be seated by a cop in a restaurant. The cop picked up and paid their check when he left. The couple didn't know until they requested the check. On the paid receipt the received was written something to the effect paid by the cop beside whom you refused to be seated.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:25 am

Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:37 am

A friend from right here on CPS called me at home recently and we had the nicest and most amusing conversation I've had with anyone for quite a score. That small gesture gave me quite a lift, not that I even particularly needed a lift.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:53 pm

This video isn't necessarily about kindness, but it'll brighten your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g4UWvcZn5U
Last edited by FredS on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

vwdeano
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction

Post by vwdeano » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:14 am

We just moved into a new "neighborhood"... There are few homes and it's kind of secluded... Our closest neighbor almost raced across the street to meet us/drag us into her house to meet family the day we were completing the inspection.

The neighborhood is just above Whitestone Inn in TN, which has a little chapel on site. I went to the service on Sunday morning, and discovered almost all of the neighbors attend the little church. Everyone was most gracious, and invited me for their regular coffee afterwards, and the next potluck.

Not sure if we'll wind up attending the little church regularly (they have different pastors come in to preach so its nondenominational) but it was very nice to be so heartily welcomed when my wife was out of town visiting family.

Sometimes its hard to move to a new place. Good to see there are people willing to reach out to others.
Dean
"A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself"

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:43 am

This story, about serving refugees, has a few mentions and photo's of my peeps at Lakeland Church. The report focus' on the Christmas story of Jesus as a refugee in comparison to current refugees. My church hasn't made a particular emphasis on that this Christmas, but we have a group called "Welcoming the Stranger" that works year 'round to provide just basic items that refugees don't carry with them. We're lucky that we're a fairly big church (avg Sunday attendance around 450-500) that can afford three Pastors and Marta (interviewed in this report) is over most of the 'outside the building' ministries, and there are a bunch - from Mexico to Haiti to Liberia to the hood in Kansas City.

He's still at work folks. Right here in my town. And in yours.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:29 am

Recently someone gifted me a never before used birth year zippo.
DL Jake