Kaywoodie

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
rattfink138
Usher
Usher

Kaywoodie

Post by rattfink138 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:18 pm

I spend a lot of time window shopping (Ebay, Dead Man's, Etc.) for pipes for when the time comes that I actually have some money to spend on one....which happens quite rarely. Recently for some odd reason or another I have really taken a liking to Kawoodies. Does anyone have any experience with them, and, what on earth is this 3 or 4 hole stinger thing? Can someone explain this?
Strenuous intellectual work and the study of God's nature are the angels that will lead me through all the troubles of this life with consolation, strength, and uncompromising rigor." -Albert Einstein

rattfink138
Usher
Usher

Post by rattfink138 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:44 pm

Anyone....Kaywoodies.....I'm going to get payed this friday and the ebay auction will be ending........
Strenuous intellectual work and the study of God's nature are the angels that will lead me through all the troubles of this life with consolation, strength, and uncompromising rigor." -Albert Einstein

kendrck
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ

Post by kendrck » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:48 pm

I was wondering that as well. Tried to look around online for info, and couldn't find any. What's up with the stinger?

AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:50 pm

There are some pipes, well were some pipes don't know the current status, with the stringer type arrangement in the CPS Box Pass#5 for the taking. Nothing too fancy. I have no experience with them. I believe they are meant to filter out the tar and etc. certainly would stop a pipe cleaner from passing during a smoke.

nightshift
Congregation
Congregation

Post by nightshift » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:05 am

I bought a Kaywoody pipe last year on an online pipeclub. Try this link and see if Mr. Kaywoody can answer any of your question.

http://www.naspc.org/kay.html

Kirk
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Kirk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:49 am

I am a Kaywoodie collector. In the next few days I will post some information about Kaywoodie pipes. In my opinion they are the best buy for your money. New and estate.

blessings

Kirk
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Kirk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:33 pm

Ok here is the deal with Kaywoodie pipes. Kaywoodies have been around since the 1910's. At one time they where the number one pipe maker in the world. With the highest quality, and I believe sales. The company has gone through many changes over the years. In the 50's Kaywoodie changed owners. From KB&B to S.M. Frank inc. After the 60's sales where not as strong. Then in the 70's-80's quality dropped. This was to stay competitive with slumping sales.

I am pleased to say that Kaywoodie is back on track. In my opinion they are some of the best smoking pipes for your money. They sell everything from drugstore to handmades. There mid grade pipes start around $40. There high mid grade pipes I think start at $100. The pipe of the years and handmades are a little higher, but I think rarely you will see one over $150.

My gold series pipes smoke every bit as good as any Savinelli, Stanwell, Sansinie I have ever smoked. There sterling series I say smokes as good or better then Ascorti, Radice, Dunhill, ect. There handmades I think are just as good as any other hand made pipe out there. You just won’t see a 400 plus dollar price on them.

Kirk
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Kirk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:35 pm

Here is a size chart from the 60's. Notice how many shapes they had.

[/img]

Kirk
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Kirk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:37 pm

A great place to find information about Kaywoodie is. http://www.grayfoxonline.com/compendium.html Chris from http://www.pipepages.com/ has some great Kaywoodie info, and old catalogs.

isaac
butt, Ben
butt, Ben

Post by isaac » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:41 pm

I have a No 1 yacht.

obie
Usher
Usher

Post by obie » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:55 pm

Here's the bit about stingers and shape numbers (generalized, but basically accurate):

Four-digit shape numbers = pre-1936. Some of the best pipes of their time, made with 100 year old briar, rivalling Dunhill. Those with stingers will have four-holers.

Two digit shape numbers with four-hole stingers: WWII era up until early 60's. Not as good, but still good.

Two-digit shape numbers with three-hole stingers: 60's to 80's. This is where the quality started to drop-off. Some good pipes in there, but much lower quality than previous generations. This is when KW became a 'drug store' pipe.

Kirk
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Kirk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:05 pm

A little more info on the 2 digit kaywoodies. Pipes with 07C, 80B, 01 and etc.
The stamping you see on these pipes are from SM Frank. The ones with 4 hole stingers will have a little ball at the end, and are transition pipes. The ones made by SM Frank will have 3 hole stingers. Some of my best KW pipes are 1950's with 2 digit stamps, and 3 hole stingers.

On a side note all mid and high grade new era KW have no stinger.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 pm

I too have a great love for Kaywoodies. I have two from their recent Gold Series that are among the finest smoking pipes I own. I have another two from round about the late 'thirties. The two latter pipes are interesting in that their bowls are among the smallest I have ever seen of a Kaywoodie, small bowls being the style at the time, as well as the fact that the three holed stingers have no screw threads and, instead, just push into the shank.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Kaywoodie

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Recently, one of my friends from Milans shop that I hang out with from time to time told me he had been going through his pipes and organizing the tubs and perhaps thinning the herd some. He is a big guy also and we often talk of pipes that seem to small for us to be seen smoking.

He has a large Kaywoodie collection including some Kaywoodie display cases. I am not sure how many pipes he has.

Someone told me that he was looking for me the other day on one of the days I did not go to Milans. They said he had some of those larger Kaywoodies that he wanted to show me.

Today we saw each other and he still had the pipes with him. I had never seen the nicer and newer side of the Kaywoodies. He had two 2009 (I think) pipe of the year, one smooth and one rusticated. They were at least comparable in size to a Group 6 or so. They were also good looking. Then he showed me another box that was the 5th shape of the 2006 Pipe of the Year. It is a bit darker than the cell phone picture that I took, but here it is, a lovely, very large canted Dublin.
After admiring all three, especially the dark Dublin 2006, I boxed them back up and passed them back to him. After a brief pause, he passed the 2006 back to me and said "why don't you smoke that one a while and see how you like it?"
I was embarrassed at his generosity and kindness, and told him so, while also expressing my gratitude for the gift and his friendship.
He said that he was indeed thinning his herd and he thought one of those would fit me.
I have good new friends in Roanoke.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:36 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:23 pm
Recently, one of my friends from Milans shop that I hang out with from time to time told me he had been going through his pipes and organizing the tubs and perhaps thinning the herd some. He is a big guy also and we often talk of pipes that seem to small for us to be seen smoking.

He has a large Kaywoodie collection including some Kaywoodie display cases. I am not sure how many pipes he has.

Someone told me that he was looking for me the other day on one of the days I did not go to Milans. They said he had some of those larger Kaywoodies that he wanted to show me.

Today we saw each other and he still had the pipes with him. I had never seen the nicer and newer side of the Kaywoodies. He had two 2009 (I think) pipe of the year, one smooth and one rusticated. They were at least comparable in size to a Group 6 or so. They were also good looking. Then he showed me another box that was the 5th shape of the 2006 Pipe of the Year. It is a bit darker than the cell phone picture that I took, but here it is, a lovely, very large canted Dublin.
After admiring all three, especially the dark Dublin 2006, I boxed them back up and passed them back to him. After a brief pause, he passed the 2006 back to me and said "why don't you smoke that one a while and see how you like it?"
I was embarrassed at his generosity and kindness, and told him so, while also expressing my gratitude for the gift and his friendship.
He said that he was indeed thinning his herd and he thought one of those would fit me.
I have good new friends in Roanoke.
Yay!

I love those new era Kaywoodies. I have a few of those POY and they smoke great.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:49 am

I had several of the Kaywoodie Pipe of the year that I got at the Richmond CORPS shows. I ended up having to sell them when I lost my job. Man, they were beautiful pipes.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:38 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:49 am
I had several of the Kaywoodie Pipe of the year that I got at the Richmond CORPS shows. I ended up having to sell them when I lost my job. Man, they were beautiful pipes.
Gary, I read so much about K-woodies; that this "mystic" has left me wishing I had one. Of all the 30 some pipes I have purchased and some gifted to me; I do not have a Kaywoodie! But I've reached the point of decision: I can only smoke one pipe at a time; I think I've outgrown - for me - the driving force to always own "that one" that is new. $$$ spending begins to seem not-smart. But I still experience a tinge of - what? jealousy? Not really jealous, but still a little envious, perhaps, whenever I see a new purchase shown by another CPS member; or read about them in the Pipe magazine. Fun hobby. I'll be content with what I have. But miss not having one K!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:38 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:49 am
Gary, I read so much about K-woodies; that this "mystic" has left me wishing I had one. Of all the 30 some pipes I have purchased and some gifted to me; I do not have a Kaywoodie! But I've reached the point of decision: I can only smoke one pipe at a time; I think I've outgrown - for me - the driving force to always own "that one" that is new. $$$ spending begins to seem not-smart. But I still experience a tinge of - what? jealousy? Not really jealous, but still a little envious, perhaps, whenever I see a new purchase shown by another CPS member; or read about them in the Pipe magazine. Fun hobby. I'll be content with what I have. But miss not having one K!
If you are able to clean up a pipe I have several Kaywoodies that I have bought but never restored. I'm willing to send you one if you'd like.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:28 pm

First smoke in this big pipe was McClelland 2035 Dark Navy Flake that I rubbed out this afternoon.
After an hour and a half, I had somewhere to be so I tapped out the dottle and some unsmoked tobacco.
I am not accustomed to these big chambers.
It did smoke very well, especially for the first smoke.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Judge, that is a very nice looking pipe. Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD