Shameless plug for Turner Pipes

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Shameless plug for Turner Pipes

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 pm

So I went to Virginia for some training for about a week. I took a new unopened tin of McClelland’s Aurora and four pipes. An Apple, a Prince, and a bent Rhodesian all Dunhill Amber Roots, and a Turner feather weight Cutty. I was only able to have one bowl per day due to my schedule. All the Dunhill’s are well broken in, even thought the Rhodesian isn’t as sweet as I would like or expect by now. The Turner has had maybe 10 bowls smoked in it.

I smoked them in this order in as many days – Apple, Cutty, Prince, Rhodesian.

Now this particular Prince is my most smooth smoking pipe in my collection, and this week was no exception. However, it barely slipped past the Turner as far as overall smoking experience. The Turner blew away the other two Dunhill’s.

So, moral of the story is: If you have an option to get an estate Dunhill or a new Turner, get the Turner. It will turn out better for you 66% of the time.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Re: Shameless plug for Turner Pipes

Post by dasmokeryaget » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:05 pm

DepartedLight wrote:So I went to Virginia for some training for about a week. I took a new unopened tin of McClelland’s Aurora and four pipes. An Apple, a Prince, and a bent Rhodesian all Dunhill Amber Roots, and a Turner feather weight Cutty. I was only able to have one bowl per day due to my schedule. All the Dunhill’s are well broken in, even thought the Rhodesian isn’t as sweet as I would like or expect by now. The Turner has had maybe 10 bowls smoked in it.

Now this particular Prince is my most smooth smoking pipe in my collection, and this week was no exception. However, it barely slipped past the Turner as far as overall smoking experience. The Turner blew away the other two Dunhill’s.

So, moral of the story is: If you have an option to get an estate Dunhill or a new Turner, get the Turner. It will turn out better for you 66% of the time.
Can't wait to find out for myself.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:19 pm

It would only be shameless if you were Turner.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I love both of my Turners, the square shanked Rhodesian though is one of my top 5 favorites out of the 30 pipes I've acquired.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

james-owen
Minister of Whippersnappery
Minister of Whippersnappery

Post by james-owen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:32 pm

I am having him make one on commemorating my Eagle.
"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."
-Charles Lamb   http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1571

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:47 pm

I'm hoping to get one as the CPS POY. If not, then maybe next year for my birthday.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:51 pm

james-owen wrote:I am having him make one on commemorating my Eagle.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:I love both of my Turners, the square shanked Rhodesian though is one of my top 5 favorites out of the 30 pipes I've acquired.
I remember you smoking that one. It is a nice pipe :pipe:
"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us."
-Anne Lamott

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:23 pm

coco wrote:
james-owen wrote:I am having him make one on commemorating my Eagle.
That is cool. And scary. And rather bizarre. Who makes it? And do they make other animal pipes?

SimeonTurner
I've got wood!
I've got wood!

Post by SimeonTurner » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:06 am

Wow! Thanks for the kind words! I'm speechless! :)

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:52 am

I saw a really nice Meer carved with the Seattle Pipe Club logo on it. I wonder how difficult it would be to get a nice briar pipe with our logo on it.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!

Post by Bigwill » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:18 am

Kerdy wrote:I saw a really nice Meer carved with the Seattle Pipe Club logo on it. I wonder how difficult it would be to get a nice briar pipe with our logo on it.
Working on it. ;)

And most of the carvers (including this Simeon guy, are willing to accommodate).
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Bigwill
Near! Far!
Near! Far!

Post by Bigwill » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:20 am

Kerdy wrote:I saw a really nice Meer carved with the Seattle Pipe Club logo on it. I wonder how difficult it would be to get a nice briar pipe with our logo on it.
Working on it. ;)

And most of the carvers (including this Simeon guy, are willing to accommodate).
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by donkeymule » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:53 pm

DepartedLight wrote:So I went to Virginia for some training for about a week. I took a new unopened tin of McClelland’s Aurora and four pipes. An Apple, a Prince, and a bent Rhodesian all Dunhill Amber Roots, and a Turner feather weight Cutty. I was only able to have one bowl per day due to my schedule. All the Dunhill’s are well broken in, even thought the Rhodesian isn’t as sweet as I would like or expect by now. The Turner has had maybe 10 bowls smoked in it.

I can vouge for Turner pipes as well. I have the one in Simeons sig. Its a sweet pipe! Very nice pipe!
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by donkeymule » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:57 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:

Can't wait to find out for myself.
You wont be disapointed. I am very particular with my pipes and the one I got from Him is done very well. Asthetically it is beautiful. The mechanics are very good and the draw is excellent. The feel in hand is perfect. It is now one of my favorite pipes.
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Recently bought a 100 gr tin of Orlik Golden Slices which was a huge disappointment compared to the older tins I have. So I decided to put tit away hoping some age would help. I had tried it in several GBD's, a Celius and the Peretti and gotten little different results.

Today I tried one more time in the Turner and it was hugely different.

Another thing. ABout half way through the bowl I had step into the "No Smoking" office complex to talk to the job Superintendant. I stuck the lit pipe into my pocket and was in conference with him for at least five minutes and then had to stop by and talk with Jo, his secretary for a minute ot two. I finally walked back outside and stuck the pipe in my mouth as I headed across the parking lot to my office, intending to light up again when I got there. But dangit if it didn't fire right back up on its own. I've not had that happen before.

Id say its broken in pretty well. I have a very discernable heel cake and the rest is beginning to build rather well. Its smoking sweeter alal the time.

Next on the agenda, Start breaking in the Teipins:-)

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:49 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:... So I decided to put tit away hoping some age would help.
Are you saying you had a wardrobe malfunction?
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:15 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:... So I decided to put tit away hoping some age would help.
I think he's implying that OGS has a previously unsuspected source.
Rusty: Dear Orlik, Is it true that OGS comes from cows?
Orlik: Dear Rusty, No it's the ladies in the factory that make OGS.

8O
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:14 pm

DepartedLight wrote:

Very Funny :baghead:

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Rusty wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
I think he's implying that OGS has a previously unsuspected source.
Rusty: Dear Orlik, Is it true that OGS comes from cows?
Orlik: Dear Rusty, No it's the ladies in the factory that make OGS.

8O
Gives new meaning to "casings" eh?