The billiard thread

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The billiard thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm

To me, the billiard is the quintessential pipe shape. A well executed billiard is a joy forever, as the Good Book says.

One of my favorites:

A horn stemmed Ropp, it is my go-to fly tying pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Gentlemen, I present to you Gabriel. A kind and loving man, he says little; however, when he opens his lips it is to speak wisdom and we should attend.

Look at that pipe. Look at it, I say. Quiet, simple, and serviceable. Elegant in its simplicity. Trim lines. No silver band. Comfortable bit. Nice.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:52 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:18 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:15 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am
Generic? Generic? Most of your oddball shapes are made because the maker lacks the chops to properly execute a billiard.
I like billiards just fine, but I do find them mostly boring. I'd rather see a lovat, which is, of course, a "type" of billiard. I think I have 2 billiards in my collection, and I doubt I'll ever buy another. I guess I just prefer bulldog and author types.
I'm worried about you. Calling billiards boring but preferring bourgeois bulldogs. And an author is just a prince that needs to lay off starchy foods and do some Swedish exercises. :D
Pray for me.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:52 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:18 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:15 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am
Generic? Generic? Most of your oddball shapes are made because the maker lacks the chops to properly execute a billiard.
I like billiards just fine, but I do find them mostly boring. I'd rather see a lovat, which is, of course, a "type" of billiard. I think I have 2 billiards in my collection, and I doubt I'll ever buy another. I guess I just prefer bulldog and author types.
I'm worried about you. Calling billiards boring but preferring bourgeois bulldogs. And an author is just a prince that needs to lay off starchy foods and do some Swedish exercises. :D
Pray for me.
We have been, Josh. Not about taste in pipes, though. Only health and happiness.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 am

Remind me again. To what degree is the bowl of a billiard canted slightly forward?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:43 pm
Gentlemen, I present to you Gabriel. A kind and loving man, he says little; however, when he opens his lips it is to speak wisdom and we should attend.

Look at that pipe. Look at it, I say. Quiet, simple, and serviceable. Elegant in its simplicity. Trim lines. No silver band. Comfortable bit. Nice.
Be not deceived brethren, that pipe is not a billiard but an apple! Do not eat the fruit of that tree for it leads to damnation! You have been warned!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm
To me, the billiard is the quintessential pipe shape. A well executed billiard is a joy forever, as the Good Book says.

One of my favorites:

A horn stemmed Ropp, it is my go-to fly tying pipe.

That is a fine pipe! I have its twin.

The smooth version is quite nice as well. This one seems to have been made with more length in the shank (leaning toward Liverpool). I remember a thread where horn stems were disparaged; needlessly, as far as I'm concerned. These horn stem Ropps are wonderful smokers and comfortable clenchers.

Last edited by durangopipe on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm
hugodrax wrote:

Be not deceived brethren, that pipe is not a billiard but an apple! Do not eat the fruit of that tree for it leads to damnation! You have been warned!
You've stayed off CPS all this time only to come back and be wrong? Sad ;)
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

We have all eaten of the apple, participated in The Fall, committed the original sin of owning pipes that list toward the boundaries of variants. Deviant pipes and pipers all.

There is but one proper thing to do. Confess our sins. Light a pipe. And carry on.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:39 pm

In all seriousness for a moment, I've always assumed an apple was essentially a billiard with a chubbier, rounded bowl. More like this:

The Ropp does appear to have a large bowl, but that's a trick of perspective as it's a small pipe overall. It also has flat sides:

Basket apple with the Ropp:

All quick and dirty pics.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Oops!
Then I don't have its twin. My other Ropp horn stem is definitely a billiard, black and blasted but not paneled.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:01 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 pm
Oops!
Then I don't have its twin. My other Ropp horn stem is definitely a billiard, black and blasted but not paneled.
This stummel, and probably yours too, came from those old French briar stummels (if I remember correctly) that were fairly recently rediscovered, blasted, fitted with horn stems and sold by smoking pipes.com

The old briar is very light and very comfortable. I really enjoy the horn stem as well.
Sola Deo Gloria

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Ha! I've been pondering the universe in a cave. Actually if you take some of the most stressful events one typically experiences I've nailed four of them in the last 18 months.

In any case I love my billiards and the pipe appears to be a paneled apple to my eye. The French can be a bit strange at times but they told me that my mother was a crazy person and my father smelled of elderberries.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 am

I have to post this one for the record. It is one of the most attractive billiards I have ever seen.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:06 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 am
I have to post this one for the record. It is one of the most attractive billiards I have ever seen.
That is a very nice looking pipe, Cleon. Halcyon II Wax looks good on it!

Here is an old Danish Stanwell I picked up recently. Has only the "S" on the stem, and no crown over it....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:21 am

+JMJ+

Group 1. Yes, Group 1.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:21 am
+JMJ+

Group 1. Yes, Group 1.
Wow. It's been a while since I've seen a group 1.

Here's another group 1 for you.

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 am
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+

Group 1. Yes, Group 1.
That's one of the most perfectly proportioned billiards I've ever seen. If you hadn't mentioned that it was a group 1 size I would have had no idea as to the scale.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 pm

+JMJ+
7formy1911 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:08 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 am
wosbald wrote:

Group 1. Yes, Group 1.
That's one of the most perfectly proportioned billiards I've ever seen. If you hadn't mentioned that it was a group 1 size I would have had no idea as to the scale.
Tru dat. Don't know why they seemingly don't cut more Group 1s like this.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Making pipes as small as a group 1 and keeping the proportions right is a very difficult task. The smaller a pipe gets; the less room there is for error in shaping. On larger pipes, you can often recover from mistakes by simply making the pipe smaller.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne