Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am
Rusty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 am
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 am
Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:55 am

This is one of those pictures that makes my skin crawl and my body to shiver. Nope. Couldn't do it.
What? SNAP city! :lol:
Seriously, one fowl move, a trip or stumble, and tragedy could strike, that picture may induce future nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fowl move? Holy loose goose, batman. What terrible cause are you proposing?
I think false move is the saying.

That peg rack is likely safer than other racks including the one on the wall because the pipes are separated and there is a static load on each pipe. Note that the pipes don't bang into each other. One improvement that occurs to me are larger buttons on the end of the pegs that prevent the pipe 'walking' off the end of the peg when the whole thing is disturbed or shaken horizontally. Think of a small Earthquake or somebody bumping into the rack. There is horizontal movement. Most racks that are just beds for the pipe will empty if knocked or experience an earthquake. I actually watched this happen with an earthquake occurring. It emptied the rack onto the table. There is no load on pipes sitting so they bang into each other and it empties the rack. The other incidence of dropping occurs with the pipe smoker taking a pipe from the rack and having an accident. That incidence is almost certainly more frequent than earthquakes or someone else banging into the rack. The peg rack separates the pipes so that accident is less likely. I used to drop pipes accidentally in front of the rack. That was the most likely place for an accident. A little padding on the floor and limiting the height of the rack will save most of them. One of my meerschaums survived that fall.

You can test all this by shaking and bumping your racks.

But all open racks expose the pipe to the constant rain of dirt and debris in the air and expose the vulcanite stems to the same plus light which degrades the vulcanite. Which means you probably dust them and access them for cleaning. More opportunity to drop them.
Yep. All of those things. That's why that pictures makes me shiver.
Here at the Southwest Research Lab of the Ministry of Broken Pipes our data agrees with Rusty’s observation.
We’ve never broken a pipe while smoking. The two stems that were broken in the man cave laboratory were fumbled during or just after cleaning, falling on a hard surface. Countless pipes dropped on the carpet (for research purposes, of course) survived the fall.

The lesson learned from research (and ignored, of course) is to smoke more and clean less.
Being the Engineer that I am, and having been inducted into the Mysteries of Statics and Dynamics (that's Physics as it relates to bodies at rest or in motion), as well as not having RugRats nor beasts-with-very-large-tails (no house beast at all really), and lastly being rather adroit at Risk Management - this setup is secure boys.

The floor underneath is well padded, the pipes with the proper sized buttons are sturdily held in it's pegging, and those that are not have the rubber pipe tips to ensure adequate traction.

Some of you are Nancies - get a grip Men....
You know, Rusty stuffs all his pipes in socks and hides them away in drawers.
I do put them in socks but I don't hide them in drawers. I keep the ones I'm not smoking in socks, in the dark, in cardboard boxes. I've recently realized that room temp. thermal activity is probably still degrading the vulcanite on the stored ones and I've wondered if I can store them closer to absolute zero. 8O That should fix their state. The ones I smoke, are in socks, and change periodically but they're just stacked like logs on a table that I also use as a desk extension. There is nowhere for them to fall. I like digging through them when it gets excessive.
I bet you are tons of fun at parties. :D

Seriously, I bet he's fun.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: How many pipes are in your rack?

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:53 am
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:46 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:14 pm
Pepik wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Cleon wrote: What? SNAP city! :lol:
Seriously, one fowl move, a trip or stumble, and tragedy could strike, that picture may induce future nightmares.

That peg rack is likely safer than other racks including the one on the wall because the pipes are separated and there is a static load on each pipe. Note that the pipes don't bang into each other. One improvement that occurs to me are larger buttons on the end of the pegs that prevent the pipe 'walking' off the end of the peg when the whole thing is disturbed or shaken horizontally. Think of a small Earthquake or somebody bumping into the rack. There is horizontal movement. Most racks that are just beds for the pipe will empty if knocked or experience an earthquake. I actually watched this happen with an earthquake occurring. It emptied the rack onto the table. There is no load on pipes sitting so they bang into each other and it empties the rack. The other incidence of dropping occurs with the pipe smoker taking a pipe from the rack and having an accident. That incidence is almost certainly more frequent than earthquakes or someone else banging into the rack. The peg rack separates the pipes so that accident is less likely. I used to drop pipes accidentally in front of the rack. That was the most likely place for an accident. A little padding on the floor and limiting the height of the rack will save most of them. One of my meerschaums survived that fall.

But all open racks expose the pipe to the constant rain of dirt and debris in the air and expose the vulcanite stems to the same plus light which degrades the vulcanite. Which means you probably dust them and access them for cleaning. More opportunity to drop them.
Here at the Southwest Research Lab of the Ministry of Broken Pipes our data agrees with Rusty’s observation.
We’ve never broken a pipe while smoking. The two stems that were broken in the man cave laboratory were fumbled during or just after cleaning, falling on a hard surface. Countless pipes dropped on the carpet (for research purposes, of course) survived the fall.

The lesson learned from research (and ignored, of course) is to smoke more and clean less.
Being the Engineer that I am, and having been inducted into the Mysteries of Statics and Dynamics (that's Physics as it relates to bodies at rest or in motion), as well as not having RugRats nor beasts-with-very-large-tails (no house beast at all really), and lastly being rather adroit at Risk Management - this setup is secure boys.

The floor underneath is well padded, the pipes with the proper sized buttons are sturdily held in it's pegging, and those that are not have the rubber pipe tips to ensure adequate traction.

I do put them in socks but I don't hide them in drawers. I keep the ones I'm not smoking in socks, in the dark, in cardboard boxes. I've recently realized that room temp. thermal activity is probably still degrading the vulcanite on the stored ones and I've wondered if I can store them closer to absolute zero. 8O That should fix their state. The ones I smoke, are in socks, and change periodically but they're just stacked like logs on a table that I also use as a desk extension. There is nowhere for them to fall. I like digging through them when it gets excessive.

I try to keep the eccentric stuff secret. The density or incidence of pipe smokers is so low that nobody cares. And even mentioning pipes is eccentric. The physicists enjoy the thermodynamics talk. That's a big hit.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

I try to keep the eccentric stuff secret. The density or incidence of pipe smokers is so low that nobody cares. And even mentioning pipes is eccentric. The physicists enjoy the thermodynamics talk. That's a big hit.
That's the problem with people, I suppose. It's the so-called "cranks" that are the most interesting. The typical cocktail party around here devolves into veiled money conversations every time. People talk about their shared interests--the women talk about their various rich girl hobbies and so do the men. The guy in the corner, obsessed with pipe socks, would make a welcome change from ditzy dames talking about Vail and dumb dudes talking about investments.

Don't sell yourself short. Even if people don't find you interesting, you could at least have a good time boring them as much as they bore you.

And now, I return you to your thread.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 am
Rusty wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:

That's the problem with people, I suppose. It's the so-called "cranks" that are the most interesting. The typical cocktail party around here devolves into veiled money conversations every time. People talk about their shared interests--the women talk about their various rich girl hobbies and so do the men. The guy in the corner, obsessed with pipe socks, would make a welcome change from ditzy dames talking about Vail and dumb dudes talking about investments.

Don't sell yourself short. Even if people don't find you interesting, you could at least have a good time boring them as much as they bore you.

And now, I return you to your thread.
Well said, Counselor!

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 pm

The pipe cabinet is assembled!

There are four additional racks scattered about the man cave (the bird dog racks are on my desk), and about a dozen pipes in racks up at school.

I'm, not going to count the individual pipes. I don't want to know.
Mrs. Durangopipe is very pleased with the new look.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 pm

That, sir, looks damn fine. All of it.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Currently, 10 pipes sit in 2 different racks (1 given during last year's Secret Santa) and 1 pipe sits in a singular, 1930s-1940s pewter pipe rest; however, one of these pipes met disaster a few weeks back so it's nonfunctional.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:50 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:14 pm
Currently, 10 pipes sit in 2 different racks (1 given during last year's Secret Santa) and 1 pipe sits in a singular, 1930s-1940s pewter pipe rest; however, one of these pipes met disaster a few weeks back so it's nonfunctional.
I think there’s a story in there somewhere...
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Didn't want to leave these out - the rest of the racks in my home office, all holding favorite smokers.

On my fly tying desk, FredS bent brandy, Mark Tinsky bent Dublin, Becker&Musico Liverpool and a Wayne Teipen bent billiard:

On my writing/computer desk, some pre-Cadogan Orliks, a Canadian, bent billiard and a bulldog:

and a couple of more recent Saint Claude Comoy's Zulus:

The seven-day set rack my Secret Santa sent me is on top of the cabinet loaded with other pipes I smoke fairly often.

I cleaned up my office after I put the pipe cabinet together.
It may never be this clean again! :pipe2:
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

How many pipes are in your rack?

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 am

I don’t have much desk space at all, so mine had to be wall mounted. About 20 if you include the loose ones on bottom and top.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:17 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 am
I don’t have much desk space at all, so mine had to be wall mounted. About 20 if you include the loose ones on bottom and top.

Beautiful wall mounted cabinet, and lovely pipes John!

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

How many pipes are in your rack?

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:28 pm

durangopipe wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 am

Beautiful wall mounted cabinet, and lovely pipes John!
Indeed, thank you sir, it was a happy find! I’ve had it for about 5 years now.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Rack? What rack? I don't have a pipe rack.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:31 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:50 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Only that the particular pipe in question has had a rather thin wall on the bottom of the bowl since its inception and after six years, even with careful attention, finally burned through.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:43 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:31 am
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Only that the particular pipe in question has had a rather thin wall on the bottom of the bowl since its inception and after six years, even with careful attention, finally burned through.
My imagination was running wild with ridiculous ways a pipe could be destroyed but I was not thinking burnout. Was the thin wall due to the the shape of the pipe or some other factor? I’m only curious since I don’t hear of many burnouts.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:47 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
My imagination was running wild with ridiculous ways a pipe could be destroyed but I was not thinking burnout. Was the thin wall due to the the shape of the pipe or some other factor? I’m only curious since I don’t hear of many burnouts.
Indeed, when I think of burnouts, I think cobs, or old British men who smoke like chimneys all day everyday and never clean their pipes.

EvilGoose55
Congregation
Congregation

Post by EvilGoose55 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:47 am
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Indeed, when I think of burnouts, I think cobs, or old British men who smoke like chimneys all day everyday and never clean their pipes.

Interesting. I think of long haired kids obsessed with Mary Jane and automobiles.

And I'd like to ask Busty this question.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:00 pm

EvilGoose55 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

Interesting. I think of long haired kids obsessed with Mary Jane and automobiles.

You and A_Morely should come together. It's nice when two satirically constructed socks puppets are more sane and charming than the people whom they were supposed to mock.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Sanchez
Salted Nutmeats of Upper Cornholeshire
Salted Nutmeats of Upper Cornholeshire

Post by Sanchez » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:03 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:00 pm
EvilGoose55 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

You and A_Morely should come together. It's nice when two satirically constructed socks puppets are more sane and charming than the people whom they were supposed to mock.
What are you talking about now, you old fool?
For I am a poor and a wretched boy:
A chimbley, chimbley sweep.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:15 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:43 am
Joshoowah wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
It was because of the shape. As said, it's always felt a little warm/hot in that particular spot since the first time I smoked it; thus, I've taken great care not to smoke it down to that point of the bowl and only smoking particular cuts to decrease the heat. It worked for a number of years but some things are just not in the cards. It still looks nice on the rack (real nice), that is, until you flip it over.

ImageImage