Re: How many pipes are in your rack?

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:55 am

Pepik wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:56 pm
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
This is one of those pictures that makes my skin crawl and my body to shiver. Nope. Couldn't do it.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:55 am
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

This is one of those pictures that makes my skin crawl and my body to shiver. Nope. Couldn't do it.
What? SNAP city! :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:21 am

I don't have a pipe rack, but I have a tall cabinet and it has 3 shelves that pipes and lighters and stuff sits on with my tobaccos beneath. On the shelves I have 5 pipes that are currently "running" in rotation. I have 2 plastic storage tubs, that hold the rest...some in need of cleaning or repair or just waiting to jump into the rotation.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 am

I have more pipes in the rack than I have potatoes in the sack.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 am
Please, tell us more, Dr. Seuss.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Dr. Seuss is dead; dead I said. Buried in the ground with rocks on his head.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:22 pm

About a dozen. But I don;t smoke all of them often
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:58 pm

I have a number of pipes and a number of pipe racks, not all of which I use. I have a glass fronted pipe cabinet with twenty or so pipes and a few stray ones on the lower shelf. On the bookshelf over by my desk I have a teak wood pipe rest with a few more vintage American private label briars on it. On my desk there is a mason jar with a handful of cobs in it. There are literally pipes scattered all through my house. I think I have over thirty, counting cobs and clays, that I use right now. In boxes in storage I have any number of other pipes I don't smoke, as well as those that are damaged or broken and have to be repaired.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Dr. Seuss is dead; dead I said. Buried in the ground with rocks on his head.
Limas and TigerNuts and potatoes, oh my!
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:39 am

A dozen briars, 2 clays and 4 cobs. They all fit, for now...
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 am

Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

Seriously, one fowl move, a trip or stumble, and tragedy could strike, that picture may induce future nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 am
Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

Seriously, one fowl move, a trip or stumble, and tragedy could strike, that picture may induce future nightmares.

Fowl move? Holy loose goose, batman. What terrible cause are you proposing?
I think false move is the saying.

That peg rack is likely safer than other racks including the one on the wall because the pipes are separated and there is a static load on each pipe. Note that the pipes don't bang into each other. One improvement that occurs to me are larger buttons on the end of the pegs that prevent the pipe 'walking' off the end of the peg when the whole thing is disturbed or shaken horizontally. Think of a small Earthquake or somebody bumping into the rack. There is horizontal movement. Most racks that are just beds for the pipe will empty if knocked or experience an earthquake. I actually watched this happen with an earthquake occurring. It emptied the rack onto the table. There is no load on pipes sitting so they bang into each other and it empties the rack. The other incidence of dropping occurs with the pipe smoker taking a pipe from the rack and having an accident. That incidence is almost certainly more frequent than earthquakes or someone else banging into the rack. The peg rack separates the pipes so that accident is less likely. I used to drop pipes accidentally in front of the rack. That was the most likely place for an accident. A little padding on the floor and limiting the height of the rack will save most of them. One of my meerschaums survived that fall.

You can test all this by shaking and bumping your racks.

But all open racks expose the pipe to the constant rain of dirt and debris in the air and expose the vulcanite stems to the same plus light which degrades the vulcanite. Which means you probably dust them and access them for cleaning. More opportunity to drop them.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 am
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

That peg rack is likely safer than other racks including the one on the wall because the pipes are separated and there is a static load on each pipe. Note that the pipes don't bang into each other. One improvement that occurs to me are larger buttons on the end of the pegs that prevent the pipe 'walking' off the end of the peg when the whole thing is disturbed or shaken horizontally. Think of a small Earthquake or somebody bumping into the rack. There is horizontal movement. Most racks that are just beds for the pipe will empty if knocked or experience an earthquake. I actually watched this happen with an earthquake occurring. It emptied the rack onto the table. There is no load on pipes sitting so they bang into each other and it empties the rack. The other incidence of dropping occurs with the pipe smoker taking a pipe from the rack and having an accident. That incidence is almost certainly more frequent than earthquakes or someone else banging into the rack. The peg rack separates the pipes so that accident is less likely. I used to drop pipes accidentally in front of the rack. That was the most likely place for an accident. A little padding on the floor and limiting the height of the rack will save most of them. One of my meerschaums survived that fall.

But all open racks expose the pipe to the constant rain of dirt and debris in the air and expose the vulcanite stems to the same plus light which degrades the vulcanite. Which means you probably dust them and access them for cleaning. More opportunity to drop them.
Yep. All of those things. That's why that pictures makes me shiver.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 am

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am
Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

Here at the Southwest Research Lab of the Ministry of Broken Pipes our data agrees with Rusty’s observation.
We’ve never broken a pipe while smoking. The two stems that were broken in the man cave laboratory were fumbled during or just after cleaning, falling on a hard surface. Countless pipes dropped on the carpet (for research purposes, of course) survived the fall.

The lesson learned from research (and ignored, of course) is to smoke more and clean less.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 am

The lesson learned from research (and ignored, of course) is to smoke more and clean less.
There is a certain guy in the great state of Arizona who will have bad dreams tonight if he reads this...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

Here at the Southwest Research Lab of the Ministry of Broken Pipes our data agrees with Rusty’s observation.
We’ve never broken a pipe while smoking. The two stems that were broken in the man cave laboratory were fumbled during or just after cleaning, falling on a hard surface. Countless pipes dropped on the carpet (for research purposes, of course) survived the fall.

Being the Engineer that I am, and having been inducted into the Mysteries of Statics and Dynamics (that's Physics as it relates to bodies at rest or in motion), as well as not having RugRats nor beasts-with-very-large-tails (no house beast at all really), and lastly being rather adroit at Risk Management - this setup is secure boys.

The floor underneath is well padded, the pipes with the proper sized buttons are sturdily held in it's pegging, and those that are not have the rubber pipe tips to ensure adequate traction.

Some of you are Nancies - get a grip Men....
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Pepik wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

Being the Engineer that I am, and having been inducted into the Mysteries of Statics and Dynamics (that's Physics as it relates to bodies at rest or in motion), as well as not having RugRats nor beasts-with-very-large-tails (no house beast at all really), and lastly being rather adroit at Risk Management - this setup is secure boys.

The floor underneath is well padded, the pipes with the proper sized buttons are sturdily held in it's pegging, and those that are not have the rubber pipe tips to ensure adequate traction.

You know, Rusty stuffs all his pipes in socks and hides them away in drawers.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:46 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:14 pm
Pepik wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Racks!

Pipes!

Stuff!Image

You know, Rusty stuffs all his pipes in socks and hides them away in drawers.
I do put them in socks but I don't hide them in drawers. I keep the ones I'm not smoking in socks, in the dark, in cardboard boxes. It sounds primitive but they're stored at the lowest potential energy that I can find. I've recently realized that room temp. thermal activity is probably still degrading the vulcanite on the stored ones and I've wondered if I can store them closer to absolute zero. 8O That should fix their state. The ones I smoke, are in socks, and change periodically with the boxed ones but they're just stacked like logs on a table that I also use as a desk extension. There is nowhere for them to fall. I like digging through them when it gets excessive.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light