Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Pipes Someone Needs to Buy Before I Do

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:Maybe, but first I'm going to visit your impoverished wife with a few crisp hundred dollar bills. Maybe even peruse the shotgun collection.

Then, and only then, will I visit you in the state hospital. Enlightened self interest, don't you know.
My son has hired a three-headed dog to guard the gun safe.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:09 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:47 pm
hugodrax wrote:Maybe, but first I'm going to visit your impoverished wife with a few crisp hundred dollar bills. Maybe even peruse the shotgun collection.

Then, and only then, will I visit you in the state hospital. Enlightened self interest, don't you know.
My son has hired a three-headed dog to guard the gun safe.
So I'll play him a tune on my cellphone.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:36 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:05 pm
Uh, yeah. :oops:

"Somebody" snatched it.
Maybe "somebody" will post a picture after it arrives.

"Somebody" was also looking another of Mark's pipes on his website. "Somebody" already has one of his billiards and it is among his favorite pipes. "Somebody" knew this one would sell for over $300 new, and it looked to be in very nice shape. So "somebody" pulled the trigger on it.

You'll visit me at the State Hospital, right?
Yay! This thread actually worked!

Now, as ancient CPS tradition dictates, you will now be subjected to a dancing taco emoji. Enjoy.

:taco:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:30 pm

1) The three-headed dog is wearing three pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones because we knew you knew your mythology.
2) I will definitely enjoy it!

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:55 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:36 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:05 pm
Uh, yeah. :oops:

"Somebody" snatched it.
Maybe "somebody" will post a picture after it arrives.

"Somebody" was also looking another of Mark's pipes on his website. "Somebody" already has one of his billiards and it is among his favorite pipes. "Somebody" knew this one would sell for over $300 new, and it looked to be in very nice shape. So "somebody" pulled the trigger on it.

You'll visit me at the State Hospital, right?
Yay! This thread actually worked!

Now, as ancient CPS tradition dictates, you will now be subjected to a dancing taco emoji. Enjoy.

Sure did. I was considering the Tinsky. It went to a better home.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:22 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 am
You can go ahead and buy this one Bob. I'll send you my address.
Somebody PLEASE buy it.
I've had my finger on the Add To Cart button more than a few times.

I'm afraid my wife is going to call the State Hospital for the Incurably Insane and have me hauled away.
I think this pipe is gorgeous, and it's by my favorite maker.
You can go ahead and buy this one durangopipe. I'll send you my address.
Great.
I'll send you a postcard. :pipe3:

I just bought a Cristiano for $14+shipping from a dealer who bought boxes of his pipes after he passed away, and there's a Wayne Teipen on the way from South Africa that cost more than just a bit more. There may be an intervention scheduled here shortly. Might as well grab the Tinsky before the intervention - and/or forced relocation to a padded cell.
You must be a saint. With selfless lack of regard for what others may think he helped evacuate pipes in the path of Irma and Jose.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:20 pm
I missed an Upshall G pot by 30 seconds/$1 last night.
Oooh that hurts. But the losses always look like that. The $1 was probably only the appearance. How deep could the winner's bid have been? He's the last bidder and he knows that. At $100 it's still a real bargain. What do G's retail for? Take a third of that and subtract refurb cost. Or imagine what Smokingpipes would ask for it, nicely refurbed. I bet that the winner bid once and enough that he would take it unless there was depth in your bid. And he got your bargain. Would you have been willing to take it home for the money he paid? How much more would still be a great bargain that you could afford? The rest of the bidders set him up to grab a great bargain. He prob. was low too but his assessment was that the bidding was very low and he was right. It hadn't moved very much from opening. He likely saw a G priced at $54.44 in the last 1/2 hr. What did he bid? He may not have seen your bid but if he did he saw the ask move very little. Conclusion: There is no depth to the bids.
Why did you bid twice?
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Rusty wrote: You must be a saint. With selfless lack of regard for what others may think he helped evacuate pipes in the path of Irma and Jose.
There you go.
Well, only one pipe.

I couldn't save them all. But just like the starfish, it matters to that pipe.
Have I mentioned the single set of footprints in the sand?

(Edit: Well dang! The Tinsky coming from South Carolina has already been picked up by USPS. It will likely get out of there tomorrow, before Irma hits. I may have saved two! But there's a heaviness on my heart. I should have saved more.)

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Oooh that hurts. But the losses always look like that. The $1 was probably only the appearance. How deep could the winner's bid have been? He's the last bidder and he knows that. At $100 it's still a real bargain. What do G's retail for? Take a third of that and subtract refurb cost. Or imagine what Smokingpipes would ask for it, nicely refurbed. I bet that the winner bid once and enough that he would take it unless there was depth in your bid. And he got your bargain. Would you have been willing to take it home for the money he paid? How much more would still be a great bargain that you could afford? The rest of the bidders set him up to grab a great bargain. He prob. was low too but his assessment was that the bidding was very low and he was right. It hadn't moved very much from opening. He likely saw a G priced at $54.44 in the last 1/2 hr. What did he bid? He may not have seen your bid but if he did he saw the ask move very little. Conclusion: There is no depth to the bids.

Why did you bid twice?
Sometimes we are assessing what we can spend and not assessing the value of the item. I assume Gs originally retailed for several hundred dollars and as of fairly recently, Mr. Jones ain't making any more.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 am
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Why did you bid twice?
Sometimes we are assessing what we can spend and not assessing the value of the item. I assume Gs originally retailed for several hundred dollars and as of fairly recently, Mr. Jones ain't making any more.
Yep, I know, we bid what we can.
G's, E's, and esp, X's were nose bleed territory. They retailed for several thousand dollars. I saw an E once in Toronto. Wild price tags.
The A's and the P's were several hundred.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/esta ... t_id=20077

Well over a decade ago I spotted a pristine, never smoked, brand new pipe complete with packaging etc on eBay. It was an Italian hand made and I had been buying them from the maker in Italy and paying the full price, which was mid 300's at that grade (much higher these days). A bunch of bargain bidders were inching it up dollar by dollar to some small fraction of it's retail value. Many had bid two or more times. It was bargain territory. They had just reached $100 about 15 min. before the auction ended. I had already decided to bid at the last moment and my bid would be it's retail value minus $100. I was prepared to to pay for a good deal and figured the bargain bidders would give me a bargain at well below my bid. That's what happened. Three days later the second bidder sent me an email saying "But for $2.50 I would own that pipe." And he further asked how I knew his bid value. Because in one bid I topped his by exactly $2.50. And that's the way it looked to him. It's true; I paid $2.50 more than his top bid for the pipe. He offered me an 'extravagant' $125 for the pipe (his words). That was more then he had bid three times previously. I told him I bid $250 and I had no idea what he bid. That wasn't the whole truth. I figured he had bid what was showing plus $5 or $10. He was shocked and said that was too rich for him. He asked what the pipe was worth. I gave him the pipe makers URL.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 am
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Why did you bid twice?
Yep, I know, we bid what we can.
G's, E's, and esp, X's were nose bleed territory. They retailed for several thousand dollars. I saw an E once in Toronto. Wild price tags.
The A's and the P's were several hundred.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/esta ... t_id=20077

Well over a decade ago I spotted a pristine, never smoked, brand new pipe complete with packaging etc on eBay. It was an Italian hand made and I had been buying them from the maker in Italy and paying the full price, which was mid 300's at that grade (much higher these days). A bunch of bargain bidders were inching it up dollar by dollar to some small fraction of it's retail value. Many had bid two or more times. It was bargain territory. They had just reached $100 about 15 min. before the auction ended. I had already decided to bid at the last moment and my bid would be it's retail value minus $100. I was prepared to to pay for a good deal and figured the bargain bidders would give me a bargain at well below my bid. That's what happened. Three days later the second bidder sent me an email saying "But for $2.50 I would own that pipe." And he further asked how I knew his bid value. Because in one bid I topped his by exactly $2.50. And that's the way it looked to him. It's true; I paid $2.50 more than his top bid for the pipe. He offered me an 'extravagant' $125 for the pipe (his words). That was more then he had bid three times previously. I told him I bid $250 and I had no idea what he bid. That wasn't the whole truth. I figured he had bid what was showing plus $5 or $10. He was shocked and said that was too rich for him. He asked what the pipe was worth. I gave him the pipe makers URL.
I understand the process. There is just a difference in my bidding behavior between a severe case of PAD, a quest for a certain pipe or casually browsing.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 am

On to others: I held this 1960s Dunhill in my hand yesterday. There was an indication he would take less than the $200 listed price; for a Dunhill in this condition, I am not sure why he would have to.
It is a Group 4 and seems just a bit small for me.
https://www.milantobacco.com/estate_pipes.htm#England

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 am
On to others: I held this 1960s Dunhill in my hand yesterday. There was an indication he would take less than the $200 listed price; for a Dunhill in this condition, I am not sure why he would have to.
I love a Group 4 for smoking at work.
And you don't have to worry about me buying it before you do.

They're removing my internet privileges at the State Hospital.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

I've been praying you have a private diversionary fund. Your choices are excellent and prudent, but even the best of wives look askance at too much self-indulgence.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:21 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 pm
durangopipe wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

I've been praying you have a private diversionary fund. Your choices are excellent and prudent, but even the best of wives look askance at too much self-indulgence.
We're good.
My wife is a saint. Truly.

The budget is in far better shape than we'd expected and since I haven't been going on fishing or hunting trips for a couple of years, my share of the travel budget has been "reallocated." I haven't bought any ammunition or reloading supplies or a new piece of gear in awhile.

Here's hoping the allocation will be shifted back in the near future.

This two-year bout of PAD has coincided with being largely homebound. I suspect the cure lies in getting back to life "before" and smoking these new pipes on a steelhead river in BC.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:21 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 pm
durangopipe wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

We're good.
My wife is a saint. Truly.

The budget is in far better shape than we'd expected and since I haven't been going on fishing or hunting trips for a couple of years, my share of the travel budget has been "reallocated." I haven't bought any ammunition or reloading supplies or a new piece of gear in awhile.

Here's hoping the allocation will be shifted back in the near future.

This two-year bout of PAD has coincided with being largely homebound. I suspect the cure lies in getting back to life "before" and smoking these new pipes on a steelhead river in BC.
I hope you know I don't need any explanations. I'd never make anybody explain themselves to me. You don't strike me as a man that needs to be stopped. I just tease you.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:18 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm

I almost bought this one just a moment ago:

Danish Estates: Danish Sovereign Smooth (305) (by Stanwell)

I am glad I called, though. I don't generally care for oval shanks. This has an oval shank.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:19 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm
I almost bought this one just a moment ago:

Danish Estates: Danish Sovereign Smooth (305) (by Stanwell)

I am glad I called, though. I don't generally care for oval shanks. This has an oval shank.
Yeah, but it is particularly sinuous in profile, with a sweeping line following through its uplifted heel, languid transition, and gently-turned shank. For $65!

Still, I'd go for the Algerian briar bent billiard. Apart from the alliteration, it is both charming and playful. :pipe2:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:17 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:22 pm
Jester wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 am
You can go ahead and buy this one Bob. I'll send you my address.
Somebody PLEASE buy it.
I've had my finger on the Add To Cart button more than a few times.

I'm afraid my wife is going to call the State Hospital for the Incurably Insane and have me hauled away.
I think this pipe is gorgeous, and it's by my favorite maker.
You can go ahead and buy this one durangopipe. I'll send you my address.
Great.
I'll send you a postcard. :pipe3:

I just bought a Cristiano for $14+shipping from a dealer who bought boxes of his pipes after he passed away, and there's a Wayne Teipen on the way from South Africa that cost more than just a bit more. There may be an intervention scheduled here shortly. Might as well grab the Tinsky before the intervention - and/or forced relocation to a padded cell.
Somebody snatched it! Well done!
It is out for delivery into "somebody's" mailbox, today.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown