I'm Starting To Like This Pipe

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

I'm Starting To Like This Pipe

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:25 am

I've had this smallish, sandblasted, bent, estate Ben Wade (not sure what you'd call the shape of the bowl), made in England, for some time now, and I've come to really like it. Has a good draft hole draw, and is light, and easy to clench. A bit of a nose warmer, too, just in time for cool weather. :dancingpie:

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: I'm Starting To Like This Pipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:57 am

Nice pun.
Lovely pope pipe.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Big Ben Wade. LL7 does very well in large bowls. Just sayin'.

:pipe2:
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Goose that is a nice one...someday you are going to have to lay them all out on a table and take a picture...you have acquired some very nice pipes since you joint CPS
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Perhaps you might leave the stem on that one inserted. It looks like it has an issue already. You might also consider getting it banded. Is the stem original?

What are its dimensions?
It doesn't look like a Charatan. And there are some Ben Wade Brogues in that finish that really are obviously Charatans. It might be more modern than that and be a Duncan briar pipe - which means it's made at Walthamstow. What do you know about it?

As for shape - it looks like a bent Apple.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Rusty wrote:. . .As for shape - it looks like a bent Apple.
I was going to go with a bent egg, but this Charatan/Ben Wade chart doesn't list eggs, but does apples.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Rusty wrote:What are its dimensions?
It doesn't look like a Charatan. And there are some Ben Wade Brogues in that finish that really are obviously Charatans. It might be more modern than that and be a Duncan briar pipe - which means it's made at Walthamstow. What do you know about it?
Shank cracked when I first attempted to insert the stem fully, so that I could take a picture.

Here is the original ebay listing of this pipe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Be ... 7675.l2557
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:27 am

Has anyone ever had a pipe that didn't smoke so well for a time only to have it somehow turn into a good smoker? My Perteson Sterling Silver billiard was like that. It was all sorts of hot smoking and bad tasting for over a year, despite regular use. All of a sudden that changed and now it is one of my favorite pipes.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:54 am

A_Morley wrote:Has anyone ever had a pipe that didn't smoke so well for a time only to have it somehow turn into a good smoker? My Perteson Sterling Silver billiard was like that. It was all sorts of hot smoking and bad tasting for over a year, despite regular use. All of a sudden that changed and now it is one of my favorite pipes.
No. I guess because I don't bother continuing to smoke a pipe that's all sorts of hot smoking and bad tasting for over a year. I guess I'm missing out.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:06 am

John-Boy wrote:
A_Morley wrote:Has anyone ever had a pipe that didn't smoke so well for a time only to have it somehow turn into a good smoker? My Perteson Sterling Silver billiard was like that. It was all sorts of hot smoking and bad tasting for over a year, despite regular use. All of a sudden that changed and now it is one of my favorite pipes.
No. I guess because I don't bother continuing to smoke a pipe that's all sorts of hot smoking and bad tasting for over a year. I guess I'm missing out.
I live in a perpetual state of bemusement and irritation as it is so I guess I have a high tolerance.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 am

A_Morley wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
I live in a perpetual state of bemusement and irritation as it is so I guess I have a high tolerance.
Sorry. I'll send you a pack of pipe cleaners.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:09 am

Rusty wrote:Is the stem original?
I can only assume it is, for it was badly oxidized and I had to polish it. After polishing it, I wanted to make a photo of the pipe, so I tried to carefully insert the stem and the shank cracked at the end.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:11 am

Yep. These pipes I call "dogs". It's the bad taste specifically that results in that classification. There is something different about the briar and they ruin every bowl of tobacco. They're not very common. But if one persists (ie is stubborn) then eventually the tobacco byproducts produced by smoking seems to 'fix' the problem. The briar is seasoned or broken in and it stops. All that I've owned have become pretty good smokers. I still wonder why they're different.

Most pipes are pretty good within a dozen bowls of new. And for about 100 bowls the flavour of the pipe contributes to smoking pleasure. But not with these monsters. They take 50 - 100 bowls to overcome the awful flavour. It's miserable work but they're often very pretty pipes, like a pretty woman that is a b****. The awful taste has to be "smoked through". Dogs.
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:Is the stem original?
I can only assume it is, for it was badly oxidized and I had to polish it. After polishing it, I wanted to make a photo of the pipe, so I tried to carefully insert the stem and the shank cracked at the end.
So the pipe arrived with stem separated from bowl, and you left it that way, so that when you inserted it, a month or so later, the shank cracked?
Did it squeal or was it difficult to insert?

Usually the joint loosens as it dries. It's tight when it's moist. What else, if anything, did you do to it after it arrived?
Most of us wouldn't particularly enjoy the pipe after this happens so I'm curious why you like it now.
I'm also curious why you keep going back to Ben Wade pipes.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:14 pm

The pipe has been a good smoker, even with the cracked shank
Rusty wrote:I'm also curious why you keep going back to Ben Wade pipes.
Because two of them have a nylon to nylon stem to shank connection, which makes it far less susceptible to such damage. I have two other Ben Wades, and they have this nylon to nylon fitting....

This has become my Nightcap pipe. Smokes that blend like a dream.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Goose55 wrote:The pipe has been a good smoker, even with the cracked shank
Rusty wrote:I'm also curious why you keep going back to Ben Wade pipes.
Because two of them have a nylon to nylon stem to shank connection, which makes it far less susceptible to such damage. I have two other Ben Wades, and they have this nylon to nylon fitting....

This has become my Nightcap pipe. Smokes that blend like a dream.
Ok but even a casual glance at your last Ben Wade shows that it has no shank treatment. So this isn't an explanation that works with this pipe. Plus the documentation shown in the auction strongly suggests that it's a Charatan Ben Wade. There is no Danish involvement in this one. So why did you buy it?
I'm not criticizing Ben Wades or you. It is an interesting brand, with now four different pipe making enterprises using the brand. The various Ben Wade products across the makers, that have used the brand, have very little in common. This in itself is a bit odd for one pipe brand. It appears to be a trend in your purchasing so I ask.
What about the other questions? I'm curious why the shank snapped. It's a mystery.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Rusty wrote:I'm curious why the shank snapped. It's a mystery.
I did carefully look at the original listing pics and I did not see a hairline crack. It cracked by inserting the stem. Too tight a fit

Its why I like the ebonite to ebonite fit shown in that previous pic

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 am

I have a recently acquired bent Bartlett & Bickley Piccadilly estate pipe nobody else wanted on Ebay that I restored, and it's turning out to be quite a good smoker. It's got a huge chamber, and it's a system pipe, too. My only one.

Ebay pic before I restored it

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am

Looking forward to seeing photos of the restored pipe!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:43 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am
I'm pretty sure you already have and have said he did a good job. Could be wrong, but the Goosester has a hell of a penchant for reposting things ad nauseum. :lol:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:43 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am
I'm pretty sure you already have and have said he did a good job. Could be wrong, but the Goosester has a hell of a penchant for reposting things ad nauseum. :lol:
It's called enthusiasm. You can't squelch it.