Upshall

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Upshall

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:13 pm

I received an email from the Briary advertising a new shipment of Upshall pipes. The kicker was the statement that Upshall was now out of business.

What do you know about this?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Upshall

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Haven't heard that but it isn't a big surprise. They really are a one man shop as far as making pipes. That's Barry Jones and he started in the late 50's when he was apprenticed to Charatan. So he's probably in his 70's now. How long should he work? Moty Ezrati, is a real estate developer who acquired Upshall when it was about to go into bankruptcy back in the mid-90's. Upshall originated back in 1978 as splinter off Charatan, that had been acquired by Dunhill. But Ezrati is a wealthy hobbyist. And it appears that the market development side of the biz was a low priority. Maybe he has gotten to the point where it's not viable to continue? Or one of them is sick.

It's a succession problem that probably hasn't a good solution. What do you do with a one man shop? Dunhill still makes Charatans but they're marketed in Europe rather than the US. Colin Fromm is making them and he is about the same age. But Dunhill has a lot of other artisan folks in leather goods, and materials in Walthamstowe that attract the young people. A one man pipe shop doesn't have the same opportunity for others. What is going to happen to the brand?
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 am

That's too bad.

If I remember correctly, they were one of the first, if not the first to engrave their brand name on a pipe. They also, to my eye, produce a nice color of burgundy stain.

I have never owned an Upshall. I while back I was in a pipe shop and picked up a few new ones to examine. Every one of them were drilled poorly, IMO. Draft holes were all over the place in the bowl and may had tear out and chips where they entered the bowl. This prevented me from buying one. This might have been ten years ago.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 am
That's too bad.

If I remember correctly, they were one of the first, if not the first to engrave their brand name on a pipe. They also, to my eye, produce a nice color of burgundy stain.

I have never owned an Upshall. I while back I was in a pipe shop and picked up a few new ones to examine. Every one of them were drilled poorly, IMO. Draft holes were all over the place in the bowl and may had tear out and chips where they entered the bowl. This prevented me from buying one. This might have been ten years ago.
I'm fairly sure Rusty will chime in on this when given the chance.

If memory serves me correctly, he's an aficionado of Upshall for the reasons opposite of which you stated.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Apparently Moty Ezrati passed away last year, almost a year ago. Barry Jones (pipe maker) has retired and the pipe making shop is closed so it is Karen (Moty's wife) selling the last Upshall stock. It was Karen that was selling Upshall and other pipes as JamesUpshallPipeco on eBay for about a decade now.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

If memory serves me correctly, he's an aficionado of Upshall for the reasons opposite of which you stated.
All but one of mine were purchased from Upshall and they are flawless.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

Those from the '70's and '80's are stunning.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 pm

I am suddenly very glad for the one Upshall and four Tilsheads I managed to somehow pick up. They are all fine pipes. I won't go so far as to say their smoking qualities are without peer; I have a number of pipes that I would consider equally good smokers. Still, they ARE good smokers, all of them, and as pretty as they come. Beautiful grain and very, very light. I think I paid 50-60 bucks for each of them. Money well spent, maybe the best bang for the buck I have experienced. I will eventually get 'round to selling about 2/3 of my collection, but the Upshall and tilsheads ain't goin' ANYwhere.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:18 pm
Rusty wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

My Upshall P large billiard is one made in the 80s and is one of my prized possessions. It was amazing how light a pipe of that size could be relative to other pipes in the shop's display case. Mine was a very light colored stain and has darkened considerably in the 25 years or so that I have owned it.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm

High-grades from the old days - 5 Upshalls & a Charatan

Charatan, Upshall, & Ken Barnes

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Oh my, those are beautiful.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:38 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 am
Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Oh my, those are beautiful.
Indeed
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 am

It turns out that 2016 was a bad year for pipes & tobaccos. Other than losing Upshall, there was the FDA Deeming reg., and Richard Dunhill, passed away at 89 yo in August 2016. AFAIK, he was the last member of the Dunhill family to work for Alfred Dunhill Ltd.

If you're into strange coincidences this might be why BAT "threw in the towel" on the Dunhill blends. Richard Dunhill was a fiend for Nightcap. It might be that they promised to keep the blends in production for as long as he lived. Of course this is apocrypha.

Here's a note of his that one of the ADL folks contributed to his obit....

Apparently his dog got at the pipe.

RD smokin' Nightcap...

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:05 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

My Upshall P large billiard is one made in the 80s and is one of my prized possessions. It was amazing how light a pipe of that size could be relative to other pipes in the shop's display case. Mine was a very light colored stain and has darkened considerably in the 25 years or so that I have owned it.
I misspoke. I read where the "FH" began to be placed upon the stems to the right of the logo by Barry Jones in 1990, which would place my P in the early 90s instead of the late 80s. The B I bought Saturday does not have the FH.
Now I am on a mission to find an Upshall in a Lumberman, Liverpool or Canadian.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:05 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

I misspoke. I read where the "FH" began to be placed upon the stems to the right of the logo by Barry Jones in 1990, which would place my P in the early 90s instead of the late 80s. The B I bought Saturday does not have the FH.
Not sure when they started with FH on the shank. Where did you read that? If your pipe has a circled JU on the stem then the pipe was finished in 1996 or later. 1996 is the year Ezrati acquired Upshall. That's also when the size number was introduced. Apparently the very earliest Upshalls also had a stamped brand mark on the left side of the stem. And then the stems were free of any brand mark until 1996. The Bark finished pipes are all stamped, except for the size and FH which is engraved oddly enough. The smooth finished pipes also have a combination of stamping and engraving on the pipes, ie the right hand side of the shank is stamped (Made by Hand).

Don't exclude the Astley branded pipes in your hunt. They're usually Upshalls too (or if they're earlier then they're quite likely made by Charatan or Dunhill). Upshall/Ezrati ended up with the Astley brand in the end but Upshall was still making Astley branded pipes too.

One of the nice things about Upshall (and this derives from Charatan too) is that the wood weighs in even with classical shapes. So longer shanks occur quite often (Liverpool/Lovat, Canadian/Lumberman but also other shapes) and they will also employ some cant to the bowl. Nice variations if you're not a petrified conservative.

How about showing us a pic of your B?
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

Not sure when they started with FH on the shank. Where did you read that? If your pipe has a circled JU on the stem then the pipe was finished after 1996. 1996 is the year Ezrati acquired Upshall. That's also when the size number was introduced. Apparently the very earliest Upshalls also had a stamped brand mark on the left side of the stem. And then the stems were free of any brand mark until 1996. The Bark finished pipes are all stamped, except for the size and FH which is engraved oddly enough. The smooth finished pipes also have a combination of stamping and engraving on the pipes, ie the right hand side of the shank is stamped (Made by Hand).

Don't exclude the Astley branded pipes in your hunt. They're usually Upshalls too (or if they're earlier then they're quite likely made by Charatan or Dunhill). Upshall/Ezrati ended up with the Astley brand in the end but Upshall was still making Astley branded pipes too.

One of the nice things about Upshall (and this derives from Charatan too) is that the wood weighs in even with classical shapes. So longer shanks occur quite often (Liverpool/Lovat, Canadian/Lumberman but also other shapes) and they will also employ some cant to the bowl. Nice variations if you're not a petrified conservative.

Where did you get the circled JU info? Not true. I have an Upshall that was given to me '81/'82 w/ the circled JU on the mouthpiece.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 am
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

Not sure when they started with FH on the shank. Where did you read that? If your pipe has a circled JU on the stem then the pipe was finished after 1996. 1996 is the year Ezrati acquired Upshall. That's also when the size number was introduced. Apparently the very earliest Upshalls also had a stamped brand mark on the left side of the stem. And then the stems were free of any brand mark until 1996. The Bark finished pipes are all stamped, except for the size and FH which is engraved oddly enough. The smooth finished pipes also have a combination of stamping and engraving on the pipes, ie the right hand side of the shank is stamped (Made by Hand).

Where did you get the circled JU info? Not true. I have an Upshall that was given to me '81/'82 w/ the circled JU on the mouthpiece.
Is the mark on the side of the stem or on the top?

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:35 am

Oh, and my Astley Rhodesian is obviously made by Mr. Jones; same shape as my Upshall. Possibly the Tudor Rose (an Astley second) large billiard was too. Several makers made pipes for Astley though. Could be a Blakemar. Nice crosscut grain but a lot of little fills that were not attempted to be hidden. The nice manager of the Astley shop said, "You know pipes, and you know how much this one would've cost if it hadn't had the measles!"

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's too bad.

Diamond shaped stem; upper left. And yes I call the diamond shaped bent squat bulldogs Rhodesians. I call the round shanked ones that too. Good enough for the British pipe makers, good enough for me.

Dennis

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:

Diamond shaped stem; upper left. And yes I call the diamond shaped bent squat bulldogs Rhodesians. I call the round shanked ones that too. Good enough for the British pipe makers, good enough for me.
On Rhodesian/Bulldog shapes - Good, I agree.
Hard to tell with a diamond shank/stem. Apparently there is a thread on the pipesmagazine forum where Kennedy Barnes weighs in on some of the history. Some there also say both the FH and the the size number originate in 1990 ie it's Barry initiating it rather than Ezrati. I'm looking to see if there is any comments about stem logo. I was told that the early Upshalls (nobody ever qualified 'early') had a brand on the stem and then there was a period without any brand on the stem that ended in '96.