Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Upshall

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:57 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 am
How about showing us a pic of your B?
I did-4/8/17 2pm. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8800
Here it is again; I do not tire of looking at it.

I was searching about online for info and found a pipe/tobacco forum that was discussing Upshall. Ken Barnes actually joined into the discussion and dated the FH introduction and credited (blamed) Barry Jones with that innovation.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:57 am
Rusty wrote:
How about showing us a pic of your B?
I did-4/8/17 2pm. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8800
Here it is again; I do not tire of looking at it.

I was searching about online for info and found a pipe/tobacco forum that was discussing Upshall. Ken Barnes actually joined into the discussion and dated the FH introduction and credited (blamed) Barry Jones with that innovation.
That is a fine-looking pipe, right there.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Yow. That's something. Look at that bowl. Look at that stem.

I have to go now.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Now I am on a mission to find an Upshall in a Lumberman, Liverpool or Canadian.
Rusty wrote:
Don't exclude the Astley branded pipes in your hunt. They're usually Upshalls too (or if they're earlier then they're quite likely made by Charatan or Dunhill).
One of the nice things about Upshall (and this derives from Charatan too) is that the wood weighs in even with classical shapes. So longer shanks occur quite often (Liverpool/Lovat, Canadian/Lumberman but also other shapes) and they will also employ some cant to the bowl. Nice variations if you're not a petrified conservative.
This may be the wrong thread, but I will post elsewhere when I receive the pipe. I pulled the trigger on an eBay estate today in a Canadian shape.

The poor photography and low price made me a bit nervous, but after a bit of research online and reading vintage Rusty posts, I have less buyer's remorse (at least until it arrives).

I think I purchased a mid 1960s Lane era pipe; it is a Charatan's Make Special 402.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARATAN-039-S- ... true&rt=nc
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:34 pm
Rusty wrote:
Don't exclude the Astley branded pipes in your hunt. They're usually Upshalls too (or if they're earlier then they're quite likely made by Charatan or Dunhill).
One of the nice things about Upshall (and this derives from Charatan too) is that the wood weighs in even with classical shapes. So longer shanks occur quite often (Liverpool/Lovat, Canadian/Lumberman but also other shapes) and they will also employ some cant to the bowl. Nice variations if you're not a petrified conservative.
This may be the wrong thread, but I will post elsewhere when I receive the pipe. I pulled the trigger on an eBay estate today in a Canadian shape.

The poor photography and low price made me a bit nervous, but after a bit of research online and reading vintage Rusty posts, I have less buyer's remorse (at least until it arrives).

I think I purchased a mid 1960s Lane era pipe; it is a Charatan's Make Special 402.
Holy cow - sweet pipe!
Fantastic deal.

Congratulations.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:29 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Holy cow - sweet pipe!
Fantastic deal.
Congratulations.
I hope you're right.
We shall see.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:29 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Holy cow - sweet pipe!
Fantastic deal.
Congratulations.
I hope you're right.
We shall see.
not disappointed upon shipment arriving--check out the latest pipe purchased thread

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:19 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Nice Special. The cross-grain was very typical of the grade. It's very hard to go wrong with these. I used to marvel at large displays of these when they were new on retailer walls. You should see what Dunhill asks for that grade now! 8O
You might also try a dilute solution of Murphy's wood soap to see if you can remove some of handling dirt that makes it rather dark. These were quite a bit lighter coloured than they appear for both your B Upshall and this Special.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I normally would mourn the passing of any established British pipe maker, but I never knew Upshall to make a small pipe. This was enough to ensure that I never bought one.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS