What's your White Whale pipe?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: What's your White Whale pipe?

Post by hugodrax » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 am

I enjoyed the whale I've had.

Back on the ranch, I no longer give a damn--I'll see a pretty pipe and might want it, but I chase nothing. I've been pretty horribly disappointed by the diminishing returns involved in higher cost pipes and stick to the middlings.

That said, I'd like a clay Pete but wouldn't consider it the prime pipe.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:21 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 am
JimVH wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:21 pm
I already have my white whale pipe but not with me, it's in storage in my garage in VA. I have a meer lion carved by I. Bekler. I worked at a smoke shop while my wife was pregnant with our first child. The owner has several pipes by Bekler in his safe that he wouldn't sell. My wife talked him out of one without me knowing and gifted it to me after my son was born.
Nice story.
Can somebody pls get the address so we can go rescue the poor lonely, beached, whale?
I assume it is within close driving distance of my present location.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:55 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:21 am
Rusty wrote:
JimVH wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
I already have my white whale pipe but not with me, it's in storage in my garage in VA. I have a meer lion carved by I. Bekler. I worked at a smoke shop while my wife was pregnant with our first child. The owner has several pipes by Bekler in his safe that he wouldn't sell. My wife talked him out of one without me knowing and gifted it to me after my son was born.
Nice story.
Can somebody pls get the address so we can go rescue the poor lonely, beached, whale?
I think it's fortuitous for the pipe that you're a Judge. You see his confession. He abandoned it in a garage and we can presume that neglect is occurring. It might be that the pipe was abandoned when he departed for NM. Perhaps you can order that it be taken into custody and enjoy some regular exercise and affection with a caring pipe smoker?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:11 pm

I have this one that I consider perfect:Image
It is an older Ashton Brindle X made by Bill Taylor. It's about a Dunhill Group 2 and just as nimble as can be. Sterling band. Craggy blast. Smooth, rounded rim. Brindle stem.

The one on the far right. If I could have that exact pipe, I would go for it. I love the blast, color, and proportions.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:55 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:21 am
Rusty wrote:
JimVH wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
Nice story.
I think it's fortuitous for the pipe that you're a Judge. You see his confession. He abandoned it in a garage and we can presume that neglect is occurring. It might be that the pipe was abandoned when he departed for NM. Perhaps you can order that it be taken into custody and enjoy some regular exercise and affection with a caring pipe smoker?
a ward. a dependent pipe. a pipe in need of supervision.
surely there is probably cause for a pick up order and a 72 hour hold to be placed upon it until it can be placed in proper foster care
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:11 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 am
I enjoyed the whale I've had.

Back on the ranch, I no longer give a damn--I'll see a pretty pipe and might want it, but I chase nothing. I've been pretty horribly disappointed by the diminishing returns involved in higher cost pipes and stick to the middlings.

That said, I'd like a clay Pete but wouldn't consider it the prime pipe.
With no goal, we lose focus. With no desire or striving we just give up and become Buddhists.

You reside in Steel City.

Give a damn, man.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:13 pm

I've wanted this shape in an S. Bang for years now. I saw a photo of this shape, or very close to it, in Pipes and Tobacco nearly 20 years ago. I've rarely seen this shape for sale anywhere (eBay or otherwise) and it is always way beyond what I'm willing to pay. Some day, maybe.

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Now, here's something a little more in my league and I've always loved this particular Dunhill.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:34 pm

parson wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Now, here's something a little more in my league and I've always loved this particular Dunhill.
Oh my.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Funny, I had to think about the thread question a while in order to realize I have it.

I have many pipes I like a great deal for different reasons. Memories and sentiment, no search for the White Whale there - it's already in hand. A few special old pipes just because "they don't make 'em like that anymore." Recently discovered Tinskys - wonderful pipes that seem to sell for far far less than their worth. A few other lovely "artisans." My FredS. Very special pipe. Never smoked a better pipe.

I'm not looking for anything more than time to enjoy what I already have.
Is this what the end of a once malignant PAD feels like?
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:11 pm
I have this one that I consider perfect:Image
It is an older Ashton Brindle X made by Bill Taylor. It's about a Dunhill Group 2 and just as nimble as can be. Sterling band. Craggy blast. Smooth, rounded rim. Brindle stem.
Oh yes, indeed. Now you've gone and made me envy. Or covet, perhaps.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:08 pm
Funny, I had to think about the thread question a while in order to realize I have it.

I have many pipes I like a great deal for different reasons. Memories and sentiment, no search for the White Whale there - it's already in hand. A few special old pipes just because "they don't make 'em like that anymore." Recently discovered Tinskys - wonderful pipes that seem to sell for far far less than their worth. A few other lovely "artisans." My FredS. Very special pipe. Never smoked a better pipe.

LOL! I was just looking at the 'your latest pipe purchase' thread and I think wondering about the end of PAD is a bit premature for you. You have three new pipes in the last month or two with the most recent 2 weeks ago. And that's just the ones you reported. Why not go a few years with no pipe acquisitions at all and then you might be PAD free? Frankly, I think it's even tougher than that. My last pipe acquisition occurred in 2008 and I might be PAD free but I dunno. I was thinking about another new one a couple of summers ago. I have a soft spot for Ardors and there was a Meteora calling me. I resisted and I'm fine but this is a little too soon to say I'm truly free of PAD. I think another decade of no new pipes might improve my confidence that PAD has ended for me. But right now I think it has just been a little longer between new pipes.

Can you actually name the whale that you think you have? I can't. I think the whale is always out there in the future. That's its nature.
Are you sure you want to give up any more new ones?
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:28 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 pm
durangopipe wrote:

LOL! I was just looking at the 'your latest pipe purchase' thread and I think wondering about the end of PAD is a bit premature for you. You have three new pipes in the last month or two with the most recent 2 weeks ago. And that's just the ones you reported. Why not go a few years with no new pipe acquisitions at all and then you might be PAD free? Frankly, I think it's even tougher than that. My last pipe acquisition occurred in 2008 and I might be PAD free but I dunno. I was thinking about another new one a couple of summers ago. I have a soft spot for Ardors and there was a Meteora calling me. I resisted and I'm fine but this is a little too soon to say I'm truly free of PAD. I think another decade of no new pipes might improve my confidence that PAD has ended for me.

I did use the adjective, "malignant."

Given your criteria, maybe what I'll see now is a low grade fever for a few years. But, honestly, I'm not feeling the desire to buy a pipe for the first time in a while. Given the recent excess, this is hardly surprising. Perhaps I'm hoping to convince myself.

But yes, we shall see!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:28 pm
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

LOL! I was just looking at the 'your latest pipe purchase' thread and I think wondering about the end of PAD is a bit premature for you. You have three new pipes in the last month or two with the most recent 2 weeks ago. And that's just the ones you reported. Why not go a few years with no new pipe acquisitions at all and then you might be PAD free? Frankly, I think it's even tougher than that. My last pipe acquisition occurred in 2008 and I might be PAD free but I dunno. I was thinking about another new one a couple of summers ago. I have a soft spot for Ardors and there was a Meteora calling me. I resisted and I'm fine but this is a little too soon to say I'm truly free of PAD. I think another decade of no new pipes might improve my confidence that PAD has ended for me.

Given your criteria, maybe what I'll see now is a low grade fever for a few years. But, honestly, I'm not feeling the desire to buy a pipe for the first time in a few years.

But yes, we shall see!
It might be that the instantaneous demand for new pipes has briefly touched zero for you but PAD has momentum and establishes a convivial life style too. Part of that is normalization. It includes brief moments when the urge to buy is quiet. Otherwise we'd consult professionals for treatment. You might even flirt with the idea of shedding some pipes. She's a trickster. It doesn't abate on a dime. If you want we can take your acquisition stats over the last couple of years and feed them into my PAD model and we can establish the depth and persistence of your PAD. BTW my model still says I have PAD though I also have zero pipe additions for 9 years.

Which one is your whale? I can't name a whale. I think the whale may only exist in the future. It's more PAD behaviour.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 am

A Pre-Republic Peterson 999 and/or a Lovat. I recently saw one of the 999's for sale on eBay, but it went for $600.

Seeing as I'll never get one of those, I'd settle for a nice Belge, but they're quite rare usually. Musico had one that caught my eye a few weeks back. It is now, of course, gone. It was paneled too.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Given your criteria, maybe what I'll see now is a low grade fever for a few years. But, honestly, I'm not feeling the desire to buy a pipe for the first time in a few years.

But yes, we shall see!
It might be that the instantaneous demand for new pipes has briefly touched zero for you but PAD has momentum and establishes a convivial life style too. Part of that is normalization. It includes brief moments when the urge to buy is quiet. Otherwise we'd consult professionals for treatment. You might even flirt with the idea of shedding some pipes. She's a trickster. It doesn't abate on a dime. If you want we can take your acquisition stats over the last couple of years and feed them into my PAD model and we can establish the depth and persistence of your PAD. BTW my model still says I have PAD though I also have zero pipe additions for 9 years.

Which one is your whale? I can't name a whale. I think the whale may only exist in the future. It's more PAD behaviour.
Your experience in these matters exceeds mine. You may we'll be right.
I have given away a fair number of pipes I no longer smoke nor simply polish admiringly in the past month or so.

Additionally, I have just filed paperwork for a voluntary reduction in course load (and salary) beginning with the next academic year--a prelude to retirement, I suppose, although complete retirement is not appealing to me at all. I would miss the opportunity to hold a pipe while harrumphing at students far too much. They may have to drag me out of my office kicking and screaming.

A peek into the checkbook along with a gander (no reference to other CPS members intentional or accidental is implied) at the dwindling availability of horizontal surfaces both at home and school may be involved as well.

A pause, then. A beautiful pipe I've not yet seen may well murder this intention.
Although I've seen many stunningly beautiful pipes, I've not yet met my White Whale.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:56 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

But yes, we shall see!

Your experience in these matters exceeds mine. You may we'll be right.
I have given away a fair number of pipes I no longer smoke nor simply polish admiringly in the past month or so.

Additionally, I have just filed paperwork for a voluntary reduction in course load (and salary) beginning with the next academic year--a prelude to retirement, I suppose, although complete retirement is not appealing to me at all. I would miss the opportunity to hold a pipe while harrumphing at students far too much. They may have to drag me out of my office kicking and screaming.

A peek into the checkbook along with a gander (no reference to other CPS members intentional or accidental is implied) at the dwindling availability of horizontal surfaces both at home and school may be involved as well.

A pause, then. A beautiful pipe I've not yet seen may well murder this intention.
Although I've seen many stunningly beautiful pipes, I've not yet met my White Whale.
There is a beautiful and functional cheat that is available on all of this PAD stuff. Essentially it's the same cheat we have with tobacco. It's just this; we buy many more pipes, under the influence of rampant PAD, and we save some for using & breaking in later. Just like we save tobacco for using later. As the years go by you can break in a new pipe periodically and it avoids the usual stigma associated with PAD but you get all the enjoyment that kept you buying for years. I think of it as banking PAD or planning PAD. And it's just as interesting and fun as a new pipe. Because it is a new pipe. It's also a nice buffer that keeps you from buying new pipes.

Of course it is PAD still. Devious PAD. There is a limit to our hypocrisy. :D
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:55 pm

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 am
A Pre-Republic Peterson 999 and/or a Lovat. I recently saw one of the 999's for sale on eBay, but it went for $600.

Seeing as I'll never get one of those, I'd settle for a nice Belge, but they're quite rare usually. Musico had one that caught my eye a few weeks back. It is now, of course, gone. It was paneled too.
I have a Pre-Republic 999 I'll sell you.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:47 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 am

I have a Pre-Republic 999 I'll sell you.
Oho? PM me.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage