Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 pm
I think I will just keep the remnants of the red stain. I did get some off the surfaced of the sand blast. Also been thinking of a polyurethane satin finish.
Be careful and be safe, Goose. Make sure you know the toxicity of what you're using before you use it: as Rusty pointed out, there's a chance of what you put on the outside of a briar pipe wicking through to the inside. Make sure you aren't poisoning yourself with anything besides tobacco.

Oh, and for all the grief I give you, I can't argue about your taste in tobacco. We are pretty much twins in that regard,
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 pm
Goose55 wrote:
I think I will just keep the remnants of the red stain. I did get some off the surfaced of the sand blast. Also been thinking of a polyurethane satin finish.
Be careful and be safe, Goose. Make sure you know the toxicity of what you're using before you use it: as Rusty pointed out, there's a chance of what you put on the outside of a briar pipe wicking through to the inside. Make sure you aren't poisoning yourself with anything besides tobacco.

Oh, and for all the grief I give you, I can't argue about your taste in tobacco. We are pretty much twins in that regard,
Thank you, and yes, we are brothers of both the briar, and the leaf.

Here is the Bartlett & Bickley Picadilly fully "restored." I decided to leave the bowl natural until I can get some Carnuba wax.

Anyone with some advice on staining? I'd like to try and bring out the grain; make it stand out through the sandblast.....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Here is the Bartlett & Bickley Picadilly fully "restored." I decided to leave the bowl natural until I can get some Carnuba wax.

Anyone with some advice on staining? I'd like to try and bring out the grain; make it stand out through the sandblast.....

Pretty good. I note that the stem is fully inserted. That's a good thing.
I like it matte. The desire to have shiny finish is understandable but truth be told they all go shiny anyway from our hands polishing them. So matte is harder to maintain.

Are there more pics?
"We're taking orders via Twitter now?" .... At the Pentagon

Oh Hillary... You abandon us to this?

Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:04 pm
Are there more pics?
There will be after I get some of that great wax recommended by Cleon
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

That's a pretty good looking project there, goose.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 am

+1. Good job.

I've refurbished a lot of pipes.

Nice, shiny stem there. I noticed you are using various grades of sandpaper and auto body polish to shine up the stem. That's what I do. You'll notice that you have to be very careful at the the button and the end of the stem where it meets the stummel or else you'll end up rounding the edges which doesn't look too good. Keep going. You'll find that you'll soon be buying pipes based on what they can be rather than what they are.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks for the encouragement ThunkTank and Cleon

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Right now, the old Coasters song called "Searchin'," is playing in my head. I've looked at so many pipes on ebay, trying to find a large brandy shaped bowl pipe, with lots of briar. They are very hard to come by. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN307ssGLuc

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 pm

I've never seen that much cake come out of a pipe, but I have seen that much cake inside of a pipe. The chamber had shrunk to about the size of a pencil. When I attended to remove the cake, the pipe itself broke apart.

The tragedy put me off of pipes forever. Better to have never loved than to have loved and lost, you know.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 pm
I've never seen that much cake come out of a pipe, but I have seen that much cake inside of a pipe. The chamber had shrunk to about the size of a pencil. When I attended to remove the cake, the pipe itself broke apart.

The tragedy put me off of pipes forever. Better to have never loved than to have loved and lost, you know.
Why did you let your pipe become so filled with cake? Only an opening the size of a pencil? How in the world did you load tobacco in that?

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Why did you let your pipe become so filled with cake? Only an opening the size of a pencil? How in the world did you load tobacco in that?
I bought it that way for a pittance. Unfortunately, it could not be salvaged.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Please don't use polyurethane to finish your pipe. It sounds like you've already used some sort of chemical stripper to remove some of the finish on this pipe, but I'd recommend not doing that again either. Use denatured alcohol to clean it. Scrub it with a toothbrush if it's not a smooth pipe. Then, if you want to try staining it (understanding that it will darken whatever stain may already be there), use alcohol or water based stain, not the Minwax stuff from the hardware store. Top it with carnauba or the Halcyon wax you've ordered.

Also never ever ever sand or buff the stem if it's not in the stummel or you'll slightly round the sharp edge at the joint. On this pipe, there's a band of smooth wood on the shank right next to the joint. Wrap some tape around the shank at that point so you're working that small band of wood along with the stem. Anything you use to polish the stem has abrasive in it and - no matter how fine it is - it will wipe out that sharp edge.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Here is the Bartlett & Bickley Picadilly System pipe I began to restore last week. Here it is with about 3 coats of Halcyon pipe wax on the deep sandblast. May need more, for it is quite rough.

My hunch is that the briar is maybe mostly bald, which would explain the deep blast, and it soaking up so much wax. But it's still O.K., as the moisture collection system channels moisture away from the chamber very well. In fact, I can actually pour out the moisture after a smoke.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Cool, Walt! Nice job.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm
Here is the Bartlett & Bickley Picadilly System pipe I began to restore last week. Here it is with about 3 coats of Halcyon pipe wax on the deep sandblast. May need more, for it is quite rough.

My hunch is that the briar is maybe mostly bald, which would explain the deep blast, and it soaking up so much wax. But it's still O.K., as the moisture collection system channels moisture away from the chamber very well. In fact, I can actually pour out the moisture after a smoke.

Why isn't the stem in correctly?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:

Humidity level affects how easily or hard the stem inserts. I do not want to risk cracking the shank. I do not want to sand the tenon, or use graphite. We discussed this before. Pipes with reinforced shanks are much more durable, and one need not sorry as much about a cracked shank.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Humidity level affects how easily or hard the stem inserts. I do not want to risk cracking the shank. I do not want to sand the tenon, or use graphite. We discussed this before. Pipes with reinforced shanks are much more durable, and one need not sorry as much about a cracked shank.
Don't you live in the desert?
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

You're abusing your pipes.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

After that green sharpie on pipe episode I think you're calling the kettle black.
Nobody has mentioned the 'chewie' prophylactic on the bit yet.
"We're taking orders via Twitter now?" .... At the Pentagon

Oh Hillary... You abandon us to this?

Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

After that green sharpie on pipe episode I think you're calling the kettle black.
Nobody has mentioned the 'chewie' prophylactic on the bit yet.
I ruined my pipe on purpose. Goose ruins his pipes thinking that he's doing something right.