Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14555
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm
Here is the Bartlett & Bickley Picadilly System pipe I began to restore last week. Here it is with about 3 coats of Halcyon pipe wax on the deep sandblast. May need more, for it is quite rough.

My hunch is that the briar is maybe mostly bald, which would explain the deep blast, and it soaking up so much wax. But it's still O.K., as the moisture collection system channels moisture away from the chamber very well. In fact, I can actually pour out the moisture after a smoke.

Image
Why isn't the stem in correctly?
Humidity level affects how easily or hard the stem inserts. I do not want to risk cracking the shank. I do not want to sand the tenon, or use graphite. We discussed this before. Pipes with reinforced shanks are much more durable, and one need not sorry as much about a cracked shank.
You're abusing your pipes.
After that green sharpie on pipe episode I think you're calling the kettle black.
Nobody has mentioned the 'chewie' prophylactic on the bit yet.
I ruined my pipe on purpose. Goose ruins his pipes thinking that he's doing something right.
At the end of the day, it's just a pipe. I can't tell you how many stems I've broken, pipes I've left out in the rain, or the one time I left one resting on my windshield wiper to remind me to pick it back up and was last in my rear window shattering into a million pieces on I-279.

He's wrong. He's subversive. But he's harmless.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24938
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm
Here is the Bartlett & Bickley Picadilly System pipe I began to restore last week. Here it is with about 3 coats of Halcyon pipe wax on the deep sandblast. May need more, for it is quite rough.

My hunch is that the briar is maybe mostly bald, which would explain the deep blast, and it soaking up so much wax. But it's still O.K., as the moisture collection system channels moisture away from the chamber very well. In fact, I can actually pour out the moisture after a smoke.

Image
Why isn't the stem in correctly?
Humidity level affects how easily or hard the stem inserts. I do not want to risk cracking the shank. I do not want to sand the tenon, or use graphite. We discussed this before. Pipes with reinforced shanks are much more durable, and one need not sorry as much about a cracked shank.
You're abusing your pipes.
After that green sharpie on pipe episode I think you're calling the kettle black.
Nobody has mentioned the 'chewie' prophylactic on the bit yet.
I ruined my pipe on purpose. Goose ruins his pipes thinking that he's doing something right.
At the end of the day, it's just a pipe. I can't tell you how many stems I've broken, pipes I've left out in the rain, or the one time I left one resting on my windshield wiper to remind me to pick it back up and was last in my rear window shattering into a million pieces on I-279.

He's wrong. He's subversive. But he's harmless.
You're giving Goose bad ideas. This is horrible. A pipe is not just a pipe. They're talismans. Markers on our journey.
Pipes you've left out in the rain? Horrible. What possesses one to leave a pipe out in the rain? TNLP still has nightmares about using a downpour to amend the humidity in a tin of Xmas Cheer.

I broke just one pipe. Shattered would be a more accurate word than broke. It was that incident with my book pack and a 45 ton press. Every other pipe is still with me. Well... there is one with a drill bit embedded inside the stem. It has even poorer draw now. And yes, I've broken some tenons. They're all fixed. I've done experiments on some of them. But they're all still with me, but one. No weather events. No highway has claimed any of my pipes.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.


~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Image

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14555
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm
Here is the Bartlett & Bickley Picadilly System pipe I began to restore last week. Here it is with about 3 coats of Halcyon pipe wax on the deep sandblast. May need more, for it is quite rough.

My hunch is that the briar is maybe mostly bald, which would explain the deep blast, and it soaking up so much wax. But it's still O.K., as the moisture collection system channels moisture away from the chamber very well. In fact, I can actually pour out the moisture after a smoke.

Image
Why isn't the stem in correctly?
Humidity level affects how easily or hard the stem inserts. I do not want to risk cracking the shank. I do not want to sand the tenon, or use graphite. We discussed this before. Pipes with reinforced shanks are much more durable, and one need not sorry as much about a cracked shank.
You're abusing your pipes.
After that green sharpie on pipe episode I think you're calling the kettle black.
Nobody has mentioned the 'chewie' prophylactic on the bit yet.
I ruined my pipe on purpose. Goose ruins his pipes thinking that he's doing something right.
At the end of the day, it's just a pipe. I can't tell you how many stems I've broken, pipes I've left out in the rain, or the one time I left one resting on my windshield wiper to remind me to pick it back up and was last in my rear window shattering into a million pieces on I-279.

He's wrong. He's subversive. But he's harmless.
You're giving Goose bad ideas. This is horrible. A pipe is not just a pipe. They're talismans. Markers on our journey.
Pipes you've left out in the rain? Horrible. What possesses one to leave a pipe out in the rain? TNLP still has nightmares about using a downpour to amend the humidity in a tin of Xmas Cheer.

I broke just one pipe. It was that incident with my book pack and a 45 ton press. Every other pipe is still with me. Well... there is one with a drill bit embedded inside the stem. It has even poorer draw now. And yes, I've broken some tenons. They're all fixed. I've done experiments on some of them. But they're all still with me, but one. No weather events. No highway has claimed any of my pipes.
Yeah, but philofumo thinks you're great. He wants to be just like you. It's a goal.

I'd rather leave a pipe out in the rain.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:25 pm
I'd rather leave a pipe out in the rain.
Next time that happens, send it off to me and I will restore it for you in the southern Arizona sun.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14555
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:04 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:25 pm
I'd rather leave a pipe out in the rain.
Next time that happens, send it off to me and I will restore it for you in the southern Arizona sun.
Good lord, no. I love you, but I'd whack it with a hammer first. :D
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 am

hugodrax wrote: At the end of the day, it's just a pipe. I can't tell you how many stems I've broken, pipes I've left out in the rain, or the one time I left one resting on my windshield wiper to remind me to pick it back up and was last in my rear window shattering into a million pieces on I-279.
This.
"It's just a pipe."

Plus, it made me smile thinking that I'd have to drive 3 1/2 hours north or south to find the nearest Interstate. In truth, I haven't driven on one in years. I have to find other ways to destroy my pipes.

Typically, I drop them right after buffing them up.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:38 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 am
hugodrax wrote: At the end of the day, it's just a pipe. I can't tell you how many stems I've broken, pipes I've left out in the rain, or the one time I left one resting on my windshield wiper to remind me to pick it back up and was last in my rear window shattering into a million pieces on I-279.
This.
"It's just a pipe."

Plus, it made me smile thinking that I'd have to drive 3 1/2 hours north or south to find the nearest Interstate. In truth, I haven't driven on one in years. I have to find other ways to destroy my pipes.

Typically, I drop them right after buffing them up.
I have tile flooring and must be careful.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Post Reply