Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Ever See This Much Cake Come Out Of A Pipe?

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Me thinks anyone who lets a pipe get that bad is either crazy, or lazy,... or both.
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:01 pm
Every chance you get, you say something bat crud crazy about pipes. Are you Random, by chance?
Oh, now. Come on. Don't be so contrary that you float upstream. The previous owner of this pipe was Elvis. He drove it until the tires were bald, and then gave it away.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Oy vey
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Every chance you get, you say something bat crud crazy about pipes. Are you Random, by chance?
Is Random a member here?

I came across his stuff when I was deepdigging the ASP archives...
Random wrote:

Reality remains the same whether you switch beliefs or not, but some
sets of beliefs are more effective than others in allowing one to work
within it.

If something I said has led you to enjoy the pipe smoking experience
more, I'm glad it worked out that way. No point doing something for
enjoyment if you don't enjoy it, right?
He popped up again after a decade last year and ASP was slightly stirred from slumber,
for a moment:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/a ... P7Q-wTIAAJ

:zzz:

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 am

There was a time period when I was buying lots and lots of estate pipes, and I gravitated toward the oddball English makes of the sandblasted variety --- stuff like Finlays Knobby or Orlik Dugout, because not only did I love the blasted tactility, but I also loved the names, never got an Abdulla Shark Skin but I did compile it into my list of British pipemakers' sandblast names and continue looking for variants I've yet documented with a sort of onomastic impulse...

...anyway, those old pipes had to be cleaned, and yes, many of them did have massive cake build-up,
I remember one in particular where after I had removed it all, I was amazed at how much it weighed, I wish I would have put it on a scale, but regardless, it was indeed quite heavy.

I thoroughly cleaned the pipes and usually sanded the inner bowl down to bare wood with sandpaper-wrapped dowels.

An interesting backstory involving the B&B red dot,
quite fascinating:
http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/201 ... -dots.html

I liked this bit from the above link:
The Leadhead wrote:

As the reputation of Dunhill pipes continued to grow in the late teens, the white dot came to mean much more than "this side up, dummy."

Actual 1922 Dunhill v. Bartlett & Bickley court case transcript,
here:
https://academic.oup.com/rpc/article-lo ... /39.15.426

Last edited by philofumo on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:14 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm
Oy vey
Oy vey, indeed! Now this is pipe abuse. The ebay pipe before I reamed out nearly 2 tablespoons of cake:

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:37 pm
Me thinks anyone who lets a pipe get that bad is either crazy, or lazy,... or both.
hugodrax wrote:
Oh, now. Come on. Don't be so contrary that you float upstream. The previous owner of this pipe was Elvis. He drove it until the tires were bald, and then gave it away.
On pipes, I'm afraid I'm very much floating with the stream, my friend. Surely you've noticed that you're one in a subset of one? I don't care, mind--it clearly works for you, but to the rest of us some of your standard operating procedures are odd.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:26 am

philofumo wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 am
hugodrax wrote:
Is Random a member here?

I came across his stuff when I was deepdigging the ASP archives...
Random wrote:

Reality remains the same whether you switch beliefs or not, but some
sets of beliefs are more effective than others in allowing one to work
within it.

If something I said has led you to enjoy the pipe smoking experience
more, I'm glad it worked out that way. No point doing something for
enjoyment if you don't enjoy it, right?
He popped up again after a decade last year and ASP was slightly stirred from slumber,
for a moment:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/a ... P7Q-wTIAAJ

:zzz:
I haven't thought about Random in years. Somehow, I doubt Goose is Random. I mean, he's random, but he's not Random.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:36 am

Yeah, Random is nuts. Good nuts, but still nuts.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:39 am

Perhaps Goose is Ransom, come back to visit from Perelandra?
My understanding is Random is responsible for most events that take place in the world, the rest caused by Don Lükattme.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Have you ever seen someone come out of a cake?
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 pm
Have you ever seen someone come out of a cake?
Not only have I seen that someone, I've been that someone.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
On pipes, I'm afraid I'm very much floating with the stream, my friend. Surely you've noticed that you're one in a subset of one? I don't care, mind--it clearly works for you, but to the rest of us some of your standard operating procedures are odd.
No one enjoys smoking carbonized tobacco. For that is what the previous owner of this pipe was doing. One can't even load tobacco in this pipe without some of the carbon coming off, and being re-combusted.

Surely I am misunderstanding you. Please tell me you are not saying that you would enjoy smoking a pipe in this state of neglect?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No one enjoys smoking carbonized tobacco. For that is what the previous owner of this pipe was doing. One can't even load tobacco in this pipe without some of the carbon coming off, and being re-combusted.

Surely I am misunderstanding you. Please tell me you are not saying that you would enjoy smoking a pipe in this state of neglect?

Oh, for the love of Pete. No. It's the idea of taking it down to bare wood finish, only buying pipes with vertical grain, using dawn dishwashing soap and then bunging the bowls out in the sun to bleach like bones.

That poor pipe thought it was getting a second lease on life. It didn't realize it was better off dead..

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Oh, for the love of Pete. No. It's the idea of taking it down to bare wood finish, only buying pipes with vertical grain, using dawn dishwashing soap and then bunging the bowls out in the sun to bleach like bones.

That poor pipe thought it was getting a second lease on life. It didn't realize it was better off dead..
I liked you from the very first post I read. You're a fighter, and I like a good fight.

As for bleaching the stummels like bones in the Arizona sun, I actually wished I could accelerate the process with this pipe I'm restoring. It's got an ugly red stain, and Ace did not have any wood bleach. So, instead I am applying stripper.
Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Most daily pipe smokers do have a build-up of cake in their pipes. This is not unusual at all. When I worked in a pipe shop in my early years with pipes we provided a clean & ream service and it was well used by customers. So my observation comes from seeing a lot of customer pipes. And sometimes the cake gets away from us and it does build up so that we lose bowl capacity. It looks more like the pipe you just cleaned. It's a maintenance issue. But most don't ream it back to wood either. There is always cake on the chamber walls. It's very unusual for steady pipe smokers to maintain no build-up of cake at all. The tobacco flavour is in the cake. It's also unusual for pipe smokers to do more than run dry pipe cleaners through their pipes except under exceptional circumstances. In the past leaving a pipe cleaner in the airway when not smoking it wasn't unusual either. I used to wonder why they did that. The reason they did it is because the pipe has a lot of tar in the airway and it closes if they don't leave a pipe cleaner in it. Eventually they're forced to take alcohol to the airway to clear it and ream out the cake or have that done by a paid for service. But there is no daily or even weekly maintenance beyond using dry pipe cleaners with most. That is the usual behaviour. And yes, the pipe tends to carry the flavour of the tobaccos he smokes. Everything that the smoker is doing with pipe maintenance encourages that. None of them are lazy, crazy, or both. They like their pipes that way. Many of them will tell you (if you ask) that they experience mild disappointment with the flavour of a clean pipe. But they know that use will rectify that.

Your habits with a pipe and your cleaning regimen are very unusual. Which is not to say that you have to change at all. We try to refrain from calling you crazy and yes, sometimes we fail. The group is much more interesting with different points of view. But after a number of these pipe related issues you must sense that the opposition that you provoke when you're judgmental is because your habits are unusual. Your habit of pulling the stem, cleaning the pipe after every use, putting half of it outside (!), and, esp. only inserting the tenon half way are considered pipe abuse. I don't know if you've noticed but there is a consensus about this.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Milans offers free services like lighter refills, pipe bowl and stem buffing and chamber reaming.
I learned too late that Dave has a heavy hand with the pipe reamer. He took two of mine back to the wood that were smoking great but the cake had just begun to get too thick for me. Since then, I ask for the box of reaming tools when one of mine needs a cake adjustment.

I was surprised at the above "before" picture. i have seen estate pipes and a few fellows smoking (and enjoying) pipes that you could barely insert a pencil into the chamber because of the cake buildup.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:53 pm

My grandfather never reamed his pipes. He smoked a pipe until its bowl closed off, threw it away, and started over with a new one.

I usually ream a pipe out about once a year.

I reamed and cleaned customer's pipes at the tobacco shop where I worked whenever they asked me to. I've seen piles and piles of carbon and tar come out of a pipe.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:59 pm

CPS is more fun than a barrel of monkeys these days.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:17 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:59 pm
CPS is more fun than a barrel of monkeys these days.
There was that time that whole bunch of flying monkeys got out. Still a situation.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 pm

I think I will just keep the remnants of the red stain. I did get some off the surfaced of the sand blast. Also been thinking of a polyurethane satin finish.