Is There a Recommended Wood Bleach For Briar?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Is There a Recommended Wood Bleach For Briar?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Is there a recommended wood bleach for briar? I searched the library, and may have missed it, but I did not find anything on wood bleach.

I have this Barnett & Bickley English pipe (below) I am restoring, and I want to get rid of the red stain. From the rim, it looks like there is some cross grain, which would mean that there may be a lot of birds eye in the bowl. That is end grain, so it may be impossible to strip. I have tried stripping with no success.

Anyone had any success lightening briar with wood bleach?

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Is There a Recommended Wood Bleach For Briar?

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 pm

No.

_
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 pm

You can try this site - https://dadspipes.com/author/lemoncrmobile/
His restorations sometimes look a little lighter than they should. And he often restains.

The stain penetrates the briar. Sometimes it goes all the way through and it appears on the chamber wall. This is the function of the briar root so it's not so surprising. Those chamber walls then have a uniform bowl coating applied.

So bleaching it may not work, because it penetrates the briar.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:40 pm

The Arizona sun and some patience?

Wood bleach has been around for quite some time, and was used quite a bit in 50's furniture. Here is an article on it. I am not aware of anyone ever trying it on briar. You might be the first, setting the next big trend in the pipemaking world. On the other hand, it involves some dangerous chemicals, so you might want to avoid it. At the very least, make sure you cork the chamber well before bleaching.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:37 pm

A quick solution would be about 5 seconds on a belt sander to remove the stained wood. Obviously, this will lower the height of the pipe. This might be a very bad idea. Try if first with a pipe you don't care about.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:41 pm

You are a menace to society.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:56 pm

I was reading in another forum something about Oxalic (sp) acid.

But I think I will just keep the remnants of the red stain. I did get some off the surfaced of the sand blast. Also been thinking of a polyurethane satin finish.

It's the curse of the cross grain I think this pipe has. Come with my liking sandblasted and rusticated pipes (I only own one smooth finish pipe, and it is partially rusticated). Often pipes are rusticated and sandblasted to hide crappy grain.

I was hoping it was not so, and that this might have been an old pipe back in teh days when prime briar was widely available and cheap.

So, the hunt goes on. I will be back on Ebay tomorrow looking for another pipe, and also give this one maybe it's first bowl of GH Brown Flake
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Curse of cross grain? You might not find cross grain or guinea grain aesthetically pleasing, and that is simple de gustibus and all that, but if you believe a pipe with cross grain smokes poorly simply because of the alignment of the grain, I'm deeply concerned that you've been resting your head in the Arizona sun next to your stummels. Please, please tell me you will wear a hat from now on. I'm worried about you, buddy.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:56 pm
I was reading in another forum something about Oxalic (sp) acid.

But I think I will just keep the remnants of the red stain. I did get some off the surfaced of the sand blast.
Hooray. He pulls back from destruction.
Goose55 wrote:
Also been thinking of a polyurethane satin finish.
Boooo! Use highly dilute Shellac if you have to do this. Never Polyurethane.

Wasn't it you that wanted to remove the finish of a pipe because you thought it had troubles breathing?
Goose55 wrote:
It's the curse of the cross grain I think this pipe has. Come with my liking sandblasted and rusticated pipes (I only own one smooth finish pipe, and it is partially rusticated). Often pipes are rusticated and sandblasted to hide crappy grain.
With that amount of cake it wasn't cursed. Whether it is now is dependent upon your actions.
Goose55 wrote:
I was hoping it was not so, and that this might have been an old pipe back in teh days when prime briar was widely available and cheap.

So, the hunt goes on. I will be back on Ebay tomorrow looking for another pipe, and also give this one maybe it's first bowl of GH Brown Flake
The previous smoker liked it fine.

What has got you buying pipes again?

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 pm

It's the curse of the cross grain I think this pipe has.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:12 pm
Wasn't it you that wanted to remove the finish of a pipe because you thought it had troubles breathing?
Yes, and I still think about that. Wish I had some Carnuba wax, but how would it be applied to sandblasted wood?
Goose55 wrote:

Rusty wrote:

I only like three of the pipes I have, and with summer, I have stopped smoking Nightcap, so that narrows it to two Need more pipes. But NOT 150 as I have seen some collect.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm

"Wood Bleach" ?

I'm now certain that Goose is a troll and or a sock.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:50 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Yes, and I still think about that. Wish I had some Carnuba wax, but how would it be applied to sandblasted wood?
Goose55 wrote:

Rusty wrote:

I only like three of the pipes I have, and with summer, I have stopped smoking Nightcap, so that narrows it to two Need more pipes. But NOT 150 as I have seen some collect.
First a caveat; I'm not a pipe maker. But carnuba wax is really for smooth clear finished pipes. And in any case it dissipates in the first smoke because of the heat. What was very shiny will have a nice matte finish after the first smoke. The guy at Dad's was applying mineral oil on some of them but I'm skeptical of its use. Bees wax would last longer than carnuba wax too. But try to avoid applying glue for dirt and dust. With textured surfaces there is lots of surface to hold dirt and patina anyway. You can just rely on your hands to do all of this and the surface will acquire a ruddy colour depending upon the characteristics of the oils on your hands anyway. A periodic brushing with a nylon brush cleans up rough finished surfaces quite well. You'd be surprised how dirty they can get. If you need more cleaning use some dilute Murphy's wood soap and the nylon brush again. Some of the pipe makers will use Shellac on blasted pipes to preserve the surface finish. On rusticated pipes it's not necessary. Many rusticated and blasted pipes have a two-tone staining. It's usually black over red or orange. The hands wear away the black over time and you get red/orange highlights on high areas in the finish.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm
"Wood Bleach" ?

Neither. I'll vouch for Goose.

Now, if you asked me whether he was crazy, you might could get a different response. But I still love him.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 pm
No.

_
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 am

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 am
Jocose wrote:
"Wood Bleach" ?

Now, if you asked me whether he was crazy, you might could get a different response. But I still love him.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm

I used hydrogen peroxide on a pipe with a tooth brush and then followed up with rubbing alcohol....worked well but didn't remove the stain...just the finish
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:54 pm

wosbald wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 am
+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 am
Jocose wrote:
"Wood Bleach" ?

Free bird

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 am

I enjoy your inquires Goose. Don't ever stop learning and don't stop asking 'why?'.

Have you followed Sid's work of refurbishing and modifying pipes? In the classic car world we use the term "restomod" to describe the simultaneous actions of restoring and modifying a vehicle. A guy might take a car built in 1965 and rebuild it with a contemporary motor and transmission, or different headlights, or better brakes. One can end up with classic styling and modern reliability in a car that's built exactly as they envision. House flippers speak of a building that has "good bones", but it needs updating. Sid is a master of doing this with pipes. You can find many of his projects in the Pipe Making room. Follow the links to his website for a lot of documented projects he's done over the years.

With all that said, don't fall in to what I call the Google Trap. Don't stop experimenting yourself in favor of searching the net to find out what other people have done. For sure, seeking advice and information is a good thing, but it's no substitute for getting your own hands dirty.

EDIT: And don't bleach your pipes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:23 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 am
I enjoy your inquires Goose. Don't ever stop learning and don't stop asking 'why?'.

Have you followed Sid's work of refurbishing and modifying pipes? In the classic car world we use the term "restomod" to describe the simultaneous actions of restoring and modifying a vehicle. A guy might take a car built in 1965 and rebuild it with a contemporary motor and transmission, or different headlights, or better brakes. One can end up with classic styling and modern reliability in a car that's built exactly as they envision. House flippers speak of a building that has "good bones", but it needs updating. Sid is a master of doing this with pipes. You can find many of his projects in the Pipe Making room. Follow the links to his website for a lot of documented projects he's done over the years.

With all that said, don't fall in to what I call the Google Trap. Don't stop experimenting yourself in favor of searching the net to find out what other people have done. For sure, seeking advice and information is a good thing, but it's no substitute for getting your own hands dirty.

EDIT: And don't bleach your pipes.
Thanks, Fred. You mean Sid, from Greece, right? I'll see if I can find this "Pipe Making Room" you speak of. Along this line, I recently paged through a restoration done by "Reborn Pipes." Fascinating, meticulous process of bringing back a pipe that had suffered small fractures after being dropped on concrete. A hand made Pipa Croci TRUE...

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/pipa-croci-a3-true-pipe/

For now at least I have let go of the idea of bleaching.