Halcyon Wax For Finishing Rusticated Briar?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Halcyon Wax For Finishing Rusticated Briar?

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:31 pm
Those round and some bumpy circles on the bottom of the bowl and shank,.. small and large, weren't clearly seen until this last deep cleaning and several coats of Halcyon wax.

It's sandblasted birdseye grain on the bottom of this densely grained Preben Holm Ben Wade
Were you rubbing the pipe's bottom?
Yes, and it was the right thing to do.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:01 pm

It's not just for rusticated/ sandblasted pipes. I just used some Micro-mesh Soft Touch high grid (highest: 12,000 grit) sanding pads on a smooth pipe, and put 3 coats of Halcyon on it and it is like glass.

Very high melting point, too. Much higher than Carnauba
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 am

I've been using this Halcyon II Wax for finishing the many pipes I've been restoring and it is marvelous stuff. Hard as nails, much more heat resistant than Carnauba, and also highly resistant to moisture, skin oils, salts, etc. Very long lasting if you keep a dedicated wax rag handy. Does both smooth & sandblast/ rusticated pipes. Many thanks to our Cleon for recommending it!!

The one ounce jar is $10, and lasts a long time for just a tiny dab on a finger goes a long way. But if you want an 8 ounce jar, it's way more economical at $27, plus $8 Priority mail. But the 8 ounce jar is not available on eBay. You have to send a message requesting a PayPal invoice for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Halcyon-II-Wax- ... 2610328448

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:41 pm

You're welcome.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH