Your Favorite Pipe, & Why

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Your Favorite Pipe, & Why

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 am

Ah. You know, I thought maybe I'd seen that pipe before. Several times. In every thread he could post it in, every chance he gets. Now he's starting threads to post about his Preben Holm Ben Wade Bent Brandy.

It's a lot like today's temperature in Goose Gulch. You're going to hear about it whether you want to or not. J.M. Barrie would not have introduced him to the Arcadia Mixture.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:29 pm
Hmmm... favourite pipe. I have a bunch.

These two. Blatter & Calich. I'm smoking the Blatter now. The bigger writeup is at the following.
Both are straight grains.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30401&p=763732#p763732
Beautiful pipes and bound to be good smokers with that tight, straight vertical grain. I can see why they are favorites.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

Because, Rusty, as you very well know, birds eye or guinea grain pipes just don't smoke as well.

We should start a thread to highlight questionable Goosinian theories.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am
Because, Rusty, as you very well know, birds eye or guinea grain pipes just don't smoke as well.
Well, I wouldn't say that. I have a lot of very nice cross-grains. I wouldn't suggest avoiding them.
Among mine is a very pretty Calich Liverpool with very dense birds eye on both sides...

The Calich Dublin was from 1979 and from my wife and it was my first Calich. I think it was a reward for being a good Calculus TA. She likes to say that. All the best things in life I owe to mathematics, even mathematics. 8)
I was only mildly disappointed that the other students didn't buy me pipes too. :lol:

The Blatter Dublin is from old vintage Algerian briar, which I've since learned is quite different than modern Algerian briar. The Blatters manage to find very old lots of briar periodically. So that's not standard production.

Here's another view of that pipe among some of his other straight grain brothers from Blatter...

Last edited by Rusty on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am
A plethora of beautiful bubble birds eye. Nice.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am
Rusty wrote:
Bubble? That's the outside of the briar burl which is usually present with plateau block. It's up to the pipe maker as to whether he preserves it as part of the shape. If he turns the block over 90 degrees then it's a cross grain and it's quite rare for the pipe maker to retain the rough outer surface of the burl in that case. Some lines of pipe brands had a lot of cross grain pipes, for example, cross grains occurred a lot within the Charatan Special line. That was one of their attractions.

Here's a Castello Old Antiquari Canadian shape that is a cross grain. And it should be evident from the pattern why the pipe maker decided to do that. So one should keep an open mind and not be too doctrinaire about these things.

If you use google to look at pics of plateau briar block you'll see it as it is before before being cut into a shape.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am
Rusty wrote:
Bubble? That's the outside of the briar burl which is usually present with plateau block.
There is just so much to still learn about pipes and tobaccos. Humbling.