Re: Beewax Meerschaum

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 am
John-Boy wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:41 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 am
How can one know if they are getting a genuine Meerschaum, or pressed?
I think instead of "genuine" you mean "block". Pressed meerschaum is still genuine meerschaum. It's just all scraps stuck together to make a block.
Yes. Block. How does one know they are looking at block or pressed Meerschaum. Especially on Ebay. Where one can't "tongue" it.
Well, quite honestly, you won't know. With the exception of the little mini-pipes, I don't believe there is a great deal of pressed meerschaum on the market, especially from the reputable makers. The good news is, apparently, the smoking qualities are identical.

As Rusty said, might be a good idea for you to look at the hard African meerschaum that used to come out of the Manx factory. I swear by the Barlings. Well drilled, good pipes that have been hardened to survive field use.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 am

Goose55 wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
I think instead of "genuine" you mean "block". Pressed meerschaum is still genuine meerschaum. It's just all scraps stuck together to make a block.
Yes. Block. How does one know they are looking at block or pressed Meerschaum. Especially on Ebay. Where one can't "tongue" it.
Pressed meerschaum isn't nearly as common as it used to be. Which means you may find it on ebay. If it colours it's not pressed. If it says block meerschaum on it then it very likely is. If it has a lot of hand work invested in it, eg a lattice pattern carved, then it's also likely block. That's a much more significant investment than block vs pressed. Pressed meer pipes are usually very plain and they can be quite large. The weight of pressed meer and block meer overlaps so weight is not a very good guide either. There is pattern or grain to block meerschaum whereas pressed is very uniform. So if you see an oatmeal pattern that's block. But if you don't see pattern it doesn't mean it's not block. If it's waxed, as they usually are, your tongue will just wet the pipe. If it's an estate pipe and has been handled then it also won't tell you anything. Raw unfinished meerschaum is sticky even to the hands.

There's nothing wrong with pressed meerschaum unless you pay too much for it. It's not a slur on your personality. Calabash gourd pipes often had pressed meer bowls on them. Pressed smokes exactly the same as block but it doesn't colour. I have a pressed meer pipe and I knew it was pressed when I bought it. I even photographed & posted both pics of the pressed bowl on my gourd pipe and the pressed meer to help educate you savages. But most of you develop your biases research elsewhere on the web.

I wouldn't worry too much about as long as you know, at time of purchase, whether it's pressed or block. Pressed is really inexpensive. One thing that is often mentioned by the Turks but isn't understood by most of us is what are the quality levels of block meerschaum. There are many more tiny badly made block meerschaum pipes (esp. on eBay AFAIK) than there are pressed meer pipes.

I challenge you to find (not buy) a single pressed meerschaum pipe on eBay. This might be a good exercise for all.
Also Goose, you should look at African meer pipes. They're a very nice alternative. Your cleaning regimen isn't compatible with Turkish block or pressed meer pipes but African hardened meerschaum is block and it would survive even your cleaning.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:16 am

I hope yours does better than mine did.

While smoking bowl 3 or 4, I heard a loud pop and then the bowl on my new meer fell off.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:04 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:16 am

While smoking bowl 3 or 4, I heard a loud pop and then the bowl on my new meer fell off.
Was it carved into the shape of a firecracker?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:30 am

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:04 am
Jocose wrote:

Might as well have been.

I'm going to try and glue it up later.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:57 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:30 am
John-Boy wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Might as well have been.

See that Goose? That's Turkish block meerschaum. Fragile. This is not a rare event either.

Here's pressed meerschaum ....
eBay: Gourd Pipe Meer bowl replacement

Another...

eBay: Calabash Meer

This is one of the applications where pressed meer is quite common & accepted. The sellers are very open about it. And it works just fine. So pressed meer is still out there. We always had this option. My Pioneer Gourd Calabash pipe that I bought new in the 70's has a pressed meer bowl. Calabash pipes with block meer bowl were always available too & are quite a bit more expensive. However, finding a complete meerschaum pipe made from pressed meerschaum is much more challenging these days. They used to be much more visible & available. I haven't seen new ones (pressed) for retail sale in a very long time.

Here's the equivalent in block meer with a real gourd...

eBay: Calabash pipe Block & Gourd
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am
Goose55 wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Well, quite honestly, you won't know. With the exception of the little mini-pipes, I don't believe there is a great deal of pressed meerschaum on the market, especially from the reputable makers. The good news is, apparently, the smoking qualities are identical.

As Rusty said, might be a good idea for you to look at the hard African meerschaum that used to come out of the Manx factory. I swear by the Barlings. Well drilled, good pipes that have been hardened to survive field use.
I did read Rusty's post and took note, and you gave me a brand name. So I have saved this info in my "pipe search" file. Thank you, and Rusty, too. I just love the color that the bees wax creates.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I did read Rusty's post and took note, and you gave me a brand name. So I have saved this info in my "pipe search" file. Thank you, and Rusty, too. I just love the color that the bees wax creates.
Yes, the color can be beautiful. Unforunately, they rarely color to that uniform peach-brown beauty for a variety of reasons and it can become a real obsession attempting to color them. I went through a very obsessive experience trying to color one of mine last year and felt strangely freed when I bit through the stem. I wish you joy of the search.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Yes, the color can be beautiful. Unforunately, they rarely color to that uniform peach-brown beauty for a variety of reasons and it can become a real obsession attempting to color them. I went through a very obsessive experience trying to color one of mine last year and felt strangely freed when I bit through the stem. I wish you joy of the search.
Yes! It's a hobby in itself. If you handle them then they're blotchy ugly little ducklings because your skin oil is a shield for the stain that is colour. But eventually the smoke will win. You just have to be obsessively persistent.

Fact: The walls inside your house colour faster and more uniformly than any meerschaum! I've verified this.

Also if you want to avoid social engagements with the less than desirable ... you can tell them you have to vacuum the cat and wax the meers. "Wax the mirrors?" Meerschaum, my dear, it's a pipe smoker thing. Then we get out the old campaign maps and the single malt and debate how Rommel could have won in N. Africa and even survived that bastard Hitler. Normandy would have been in trouble though.... Yes, it's a grand evening. "...and you really vacuum the cat?" Yep. Can't have cat fur in the beeswax. Once it's stuck to the meer that's real trouble. It's crossing the obsessions. "You old guys are eccentric." Functionally eccentric, my dear. Britain left long ago. It's just the Muslims there. "Can I come?" No women. They tend to drink too much, throw off their clothes, and that's distracting. "Oh Distracting... how depressing." Chin up. Can you make hors' d'oeuvres, scones, or Dundee cake?

Goose, you don't know what you're missing.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:09 pm

The carver boils the meerschaum in beeswax near the end of the carving process.

This carver video is typical. Waxing at 5:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r5mAx2DjL0

My shiny new meers started to look chalky after smoking several bowls. I suspected that the wax is seeping into the clay.

I rubbed a bit of beeswax on on the surface. warmed it with a hair drier, & wiped off the excess. Good as new. Also started to draw out more color.

I was too lazy to repeat the experiment.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Yes! It's a hobby in itself. If you handle them then they're blotchy ugly little ducklings because your skin oil is a shield for the stain that is colour. But eventually the smoke will win. You just have to be obsessively persistent.

Fact: The walls inside your house colour faster and more uniformly than any meerschaum! I've verified this.

Also if you want to avoid social engagements with the less than desirable ... you can tell them you have to vacuum the cat and wax the meers. "Wax the mirrors?" Meerschaum, my dear, it's a pipe smoker thing. Then we get out the old campaign maps and the single malt and debate how Rommel could have won in N. Africa and even survived that bastard Hitler. Normandy would have been in trouble though.... Yes, it's a grand evening. "...and you really vacuum the cat?" Yep. Can't have cat fur in the beeswax. Once it's stuck to the meer that's real trouble. It's crossing the obsessions. "You old guys are eccentric." Functionally eccentric, my dear. Britain left long ago. It's just the Muslims there. "Can I come?" No women. They tend to drink too much, throw off their clothes, and that's distracting. "Oh Distracting... how depressing." Chin up. Can you make hors' d'oeuvres, scones, or Dundee cake?

You've had many good posts, Rusty. This is the best. Laughed from beginning to end and agree with every point. A masterpiece!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:34 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:56 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

You've had many good posts, Rusty. This is the best. Laughed from beginning to end and agree with every point. A masterpiece!
I take it that you haven't read about Tony at All Die Tobacco, have you?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:09 pm
The carver boils the meerschaum in beeswax near the end of the carving process.

This carver video is typical. Waxing at 5:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r5mAx2DjL0
This is good. It ought to get Goose going. Notice that the pipe is something like a block of cheese when he's first carving it. They're damp blocks. Otherwise the block would shatter when he uses that small chopping blade tool to cut the shape. The heater removes the moisture and the block has a different sound and feel now. You can hear it squeal with the drill cutting it. It's very fragile now.
Del wrote:
My shiny new meers started to look chalky after smoking several bowls. I suspected that the wax is seeping into the clay.
I think it cooks off the surface and with handling it's also worn off. Go and do the same thing as Jocose. Snap the shank in anger and you'll see. There is no wax inside the meer surface.
Del wrote:
I rubbed a bit of beeswax on on the surface. warmed it with a hair drier, & wiped off the excess. Good as new. Also started to draw out more color.
Draw out? You have in and out mixed up. The colour is from smoke stain on the surface. The wax fixes it. It's the same smoke that stains your walls inside your house. Notice that it's the coolest temp. surfaces of your pipe that colour first. If you smoke the pipe regularly, wait a couple of years and then do the Jocose anger act, snapping the shank, you'll see it's clean and white inside the meerschaum. So it's not tar coming through the meerschaum. We've had this discussion before. Tell me the truth; are you interested in anything other than abortion and politics?
Del wrote:
I was too lazy to repeat the experiment.
Well it's ok you get almost everything wrong as many have pointed out before. The only topic about which you seem to know anything is abortion. That's really sad because you hate it. I think you could easily get this activity right if you wanted too.

You're doing it wrong and your laziness isn't helping. Liberally coat the pipe in melted beeswax with a q-tip or paint brush (it will look frosted) or adopt the Coco-Turkish precedent and dunk the pipe in liquid beeswax. Then you apply a heat gun (hair dryers can't supply sufficient heat) to the surface and you will be shocked when it goes nut brown. That's the smoke residue on the surface of your well smoked pipe. You've just been shown the future. It's a feedback mechanism like natural selection that will provoke to do again after another 100 bowls, if you're a normal pipe smoker. When it cools the colour will recede some but the seed of obsession has been planted. :wink:
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Jocose wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Might as well have been.

I'm not one to laugh at another's misfortune, but I couldn't help myself that time. At $6 a bowl, that's the most expensive pipe you own.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:27 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 pm
Jocose wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Jocose wrote:

Might as well have been.

I'm not one to laugh at another's misfortune, but I couldn't help myself that time. At $6 a bowl, that's the most expensive pipe you own.
It's not gone. It's fixable. And it does happen.
Most $300 pipes are pretty expensive per smoke at four bowls too. We ignore the per-bowl economics in the early days of every pipe - whatever its condition. Instead we tend to beam at the great economics because all the pipes tend to be pennies per day eventually no matter what they cost up front. This is fairly typical. It's the tobacco (operating cost) that dominates the lifetime cost and it is expensive. Math better.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light