My favorite pipe...today

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

My favorite pipe...today

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 pm

In response to Goose's post about the favorite, I have been thinking...yup I am a slow thinker :)

Last week if asked what my favorite pipe was, I would have pondered and likely have said it was the FredS Lovat or the Turner Lumberman or... But then I pulled out the 14 or 15 that I have and cleaned them and rotated them and if asked today, I would likely say its the Big Peterson or the Comoy Billiard or the Wayne Teipen Canadian or...

What I am trying to say is that I have some pipes that fit into that favorite category but don't have one that is THE pipe...I guess if I did, it might be time to get rid of the others...so I am glad that I am unable to pick just one. :chili:

Are most of you like that or do you have one that is always your #1?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: My favorite pipe...today

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 pm

A lot like that. I only keep good smokers around, and every good smoker has the possibility to be extraordinary given the right moment. So my favorites fluctuate to some extent.

This should be interesting.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:59 pm

I definitely go through phases of favorites. The "Desert island 5" is always at the back of my mind... something along the line of, "This pipe is definitely one of my 5. I can't imagine this pipe leaving my rotation." Then it sits for two years without a single bowl through it. That could just be a by-product of too many pipes, but it's probably more of a by-product of tobacco phases. I have pipes that are 100% dedicated to a certain tobacco, so when I'm not in the mood for that tobacco, then my so-called "favorite" pipes are neglected.

So yeah, I have favorite pipes... today.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm

I have 12 pipes. 10 of them are my favourites.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm

:)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Already? Wow. You really should share the collection with us in one of the collection threads.

At the end of my first year I had two. One of the two I still have. By the end of three years I had a dozen and was lectured on my excessive pipes by my father, who thought it would ruin my love of pipes. He was a Depression child though and they have no understanding of real excess. I think it's the pipe that I'm smoking that is my favourite at any given time. This morning it's a Charatan pear. It used to be that there were more pipes that I thought had problems. Many of those were fixed along the way in my tinkering & attempts to understand what governed pipe behaviour. Some things remain a mystery.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 am

Ashton Pebble Shell Prince

Everything tastes better in this pipe.

Last edited by JimVH on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 pm

I've given away a lot of the pipes I acquired early on. Giving a pipe away is even more fun than getting one.

Several went to an old friend in Denver who had been taking cobs on camping trips. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
A few went to my son. A few to forum members.
A bunch have been given to students.

There are three in pipe socks in a desk drawer at school - sanitized and polished - just waiting for some upper-division student I know well (likely one of my advisees I've known for a few years who joins our conversations when a colleague and I are puffing, maybe one who's vaping or smoking cigarettes) to casually ask about pipe smoking . . .

Other than those three, pretty much every other pipe I have is currently a favorite for one reason or another.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 pm

I decided Friday to "Smoke through my pipes...To smoke each one, a full rotation, it will take 14 smoking sessions. But last night I messed it up. I smoked my Peterson Bent Billiard then I smoked my BBB Author and then I smoked the Peterson again...(Its my favorite right now) :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:17 am

This Pipa Croci ~TRUE~ Scoop has become my fav.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:17 am

I have a very similar Stanwell scoop I got from somebody here that's doing a splendid job at the moment.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 am
Goose55 wrote:

I have a very similar Stanwell scoop I got from somebody here that's doing a splendid job at the moment.
Scoop is really quite a perfect designation for a pipe, isn't it? And describes this shape perfectly. Sure wish I still had the previous owners dried up tar in the shank, though. I miss that flavor.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Scoop is really quite a perfect designation for a pipe, isn't it? And describes this shape perfectly. Sure wish I still had the previous owners dried up tar in the shank, though. I miss that flavor.
I think it may be time to remove one bottle of Dawn. :pipe2:
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

My youngest grand daughter would say, "...now I think he is just being Mr. Smarty Pants"
Scott ( aka - Thor )