Worst smoke ever...

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Worst smoke ever...

Post by johara34 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Ok let's have it. Smoking a pipe is usually magical, but even magical things can sometimes go pear shaped. Just ask the Unicorn repointing all the brickwork on my chimney.

So what was your worst smoke ever and why?
If I were to preach a sermon about Balaam it would be entitled, "The Man Who Was Rebuked by His Own Ass."

BrianMadsen
Usher
Usher

Re: Worst smoke ever...

Post by BrianMadsen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 am

1792 flake. It's a miracle that I even endured several bowls to really give it a chance. It's also a miracle that I didn't vomit.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:20 am

I had some awful smokes as a newbie, packing my pipe too tightly, puffing too hard, burning my tongue. It was probably 1-Q.... or some custom aromatic with 7% propylene glycol.

Memorably dreadful. I still think of it when my pipe gets hot and I have to slow down.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:59 am

Bowl of Roses. It was like drinking cheap perfume with a straw. Didn't get past a few puffs & threw the pouch away.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:51 am

It was a pouch of tobacco (one out of several) I bought on ebay that had been sitting on the storeroom shelf of an old drug store for the last four decades. I imagine the taste to be the same as licking the inside of a well-seasoned hockey glove. The aroma was that of an open grave.

I'll edit the post if I think of the name.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am

Probably Condor. A co-worker brought me a case of pouches from a trip to the UK. I gave all of the pouches away and ended up throwing the pipe away.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am
Probably Condor. A co-worker brought me a case of pouches from a trip to the UK. I gave all of the pouches away and ended up throwing the pipe away.
:confused:

Condor is one of the finest smokes known to mankind, I'm sorry that it didn't agree with you, friend.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 am

That's easy. Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia in a brand new Stanwell bent Dublin. This was over 10 years ago. Probably mid 2000s.

I was out of town on business so I thought I deserved a new pipe and a new blend to go with it. The pipe was pretty well cut and a good representative straight grain with birdseye popping up on the thick rounded rim. It was about a group 3 in size. Nice and light weight.

I chose the 3 Year Matured Virginia because I'd never had a straight Virginia and the guy at the shop said it was pure. When I popped the tin and pulled back the paper I thought it smelled like rotten fruit\tomato. Okay. I suspected some toppping. Then I proceeded to load the pipe and smoke away while drinking a Heineken. Now, up to this point I was used to light aromatics and some English mixtures. Nothing terribly strong. I didn't like the taste of it and it didn't take long before the room and my stomach started spinning. Gross taste and nic hit. I can't remember if I yaked or not. I know I felt terrible. And to make things worse, I was in a hotel room. No comforts of home. To be fair, the new pipe did have some stain in the bowl so that probably had an affect on the experience.

That pretty much put me off of Virginias for a while and I never developed a love for that pipe, I think, because I always associated it with that bad experience.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am
:confused:

Condor is one of the finest smokes known to mankind, I'm sorry that it didn't agree with you, friend.
No need to be sorry. It's either loved or hated, I think. Like Marmite.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Ok you will think that I am a hater, but its a true tale and it was my worst smoking experience so...

I was in a box pass here right after I joined and after the box pass a couple of us decided to do a little more trading, not sure if the other 2 members are even still active here or not...its been awhile since I have seen them post.

So what I got from one of them was a tub of PA along with the agreed trade items and I got a new un-smoked cob from the other guy along with the agreed upon trade items...white elephant trades are a love of mine, so I sent them each something silly too along with the agreed trade items.

So I am still smoking from what is left of that tub...I don't smoke PA often, and the cob sat on my shelf for over a year. One Saturday afternoon I decided I would try it out with some of the PA. It tasted like burning corn and was very unpleasant and about at the 3/4 point I took in a puff and filled my mouth with burning embers through the stem...ok didn't fill my mouth, but when you have burning tobacco embers in your mouth it feels like you mouth is full of them...

Worst smoke ever and the last time I smoked a cob!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Too many to remember as I've tried so many blends. But two stick out in my mind. One was Bourbon Street which tasted like talcum powder. I got a deal on Erin Go Bragh a few months ago and it tasted like rubber and butt. It should really be called Erin Go Blech.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:19 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:51 am
It was a pouch of tobacco (one out of several) I bought on ebay that had been sitting on the storeroom shelf of an old drug store for the last four decades. I imagine the taste to be the same as licking the inside of a well-seasoned hockey glove. The aroma was that of an open grave.

This stuff?

Five years and we finally got the review. LOL!
Good review. Memorable takeaway: "The aroma was that of an open grave."

My worst would be Three Nuns but there were others. It was my first purchased tin & I was 17. So I was a newb.
I think this is much more likely when we're relatively recent to pipe smoking. Sure it's possible that we try a tobacco that doesn't agree with us with a lot more experience but we know what we should avoid by then.

The biggest surprise was Erinmore Flake. On first light I was overwhelmed and I thought it might be another Three Nuns experience. Fifteen minutes later I thought it was wonderful. Erinmore flake was the only tinned tobacco sold in the Macmillan Bloedel store (the mgr of the store smoked it) so I tried it.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:19 pm
JimVH wrote:

This stuff?

Five years and we finally got the review. LOL!
Good review. Memorable takeaway: "The aroma was that of an open grave."
Ha, that's it! I knew you'd be the one to call me out. :)

I tried a couple of them and they just tasted like stale aros with no flavoring remaining, but one was instant nasty. It was so bad it kind of scared me a little, concerned I was smoking mildew or something. I just can't remember which one was so bad. I'll come to me.

It's hard to believe that was five years ago.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:21 pm

I seem to remember Royal Comfort as being one of the worst things that I ever smoked. Smoker's Pride Natural was pretty damned bad as well.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:12 pm

50/50 GLP Abingdon / one of Miss Wilkie's highly Polyethylene Glycoled aromatics.

I'd rather have Burley & Barf.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:23 pm

McB Virginia #1. Lava with multicolored sprinkles.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:23 pm
McB Virginia #1. Lava with multicolored sprinkles.
Then you're doing it wrong.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 pm

JimVH wrote:

Amphora Green.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:54 am

Sweet English. It was a renamed blend, carried by The Tinderbox back home in SW PA. As a noob who liked both aromatics and english blends I figured it would be a good idea. I've not tried C&D's Sweet English, but I seriously doubt this crap came from their factory. YUCK!!! Sweat Sock English would be better name for this mix. I do still have the rest of the three ounce "sample" I got that day in a jar. Maybe 7 years has done it some good. I may give it another whirl.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 am

Years ago I made a video of me lighting a pipe with a brazing/hand torch. I lit the briar on fire with it and actually ended up burning my mouth and tongue somewhat.

I almost puked at the end due to the taste of the tobacco and burning briar.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"