Three pipes...that is that is all

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Three pipes...that is that is all

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am

Nope this is not a "stranded on an island" thread. I had a guy at my office in another unit approach me today. He said that another co-worker had mentioned that I am a pipe smoker. This guy is also a pipe smoker and he has smoked for 8 years. He suggested that we take a smoke break and discuss the hobby. During the discussion he told me that he has 3 pipes, all are basket pipes and that is all he has ever had. He then asked why anyone would need more than 3 pipes. He told me he smokes several tobaccos, but only listed PA, Middleton's Cherry, Half&Half and a bulk blend he gets here in the city. I offered him some of my Balkan Supreme (Iwan Reis) but he declined.

So I couldn't get over 8 years but only 3 pipes. The one he had was a fine looking pipe, but it kept clogging and he went through 4 or 5 pipe cleaners to smoke the bowl. He was surprised that I didn't carry pipe cleaners and that my pipe, (JMG bent bulldog) didn't clog.

We talked pipes and tobacco and will meet for another smoke when we both have time. A man completely immune to PAD and TAD. I feel so sorry for him
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Jester
Elder
Elder

Re: Three pipes...that is that is all

Post by Jester » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am

I only have three pipes. I would only have one had it not been for an awesome Secret Santa this past Christmas. I smoke my pipe almost daily now that the weather has backed off here in Missouri. Tuttle gave me that pipe I believe it was 5 years ago and I have only cleaned it once. I don't have a cellar either. I will get one tin or one pouch and puff it until its gone before I make another purchase. That will change soon. Me and my wife are finally out of debt and cigar season was really killing my pipe tobacco budget. Pipe tobacco goes twenty times the distance at the same price of a one-time cigar.

EDIT: If this was a stranded on an island thread I would take my only three...... I would leave the cobs at home.... for the children.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 am

It's always interesting to meet another pipe smoker. Even a stranger.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am
Nope this is not a "stranded on an island" thread. I had a guy at my office in another unit approach me today. He said that another co-worker had mentioned that I am a pipe smoker. This guy is also a pipe smoker and he has smoked for 8 years. He suggested that we take a smoke break and discuss the hobby. During the discussion he told me that he has 3 pipes, all are basket pipes and that is all he has ever had. He then asked why anyone would need more than 3 pipes. He told me he smokes several tobaccos, but only listed PA, Middleton's Cherry, Half&Half and a bulk blend he gets here in the city. I offered him some of my Balkan Supreme (Iwan Reis) but he declined.

So I couldn't get over 8 years but only 3 pipes. The one he had was a fine looking pipe, but it kept clogging and he went through 4 or 5 pipe cleaners to smoke the bowl. He was surprised that I didn't carry pipe cleaners and that my pipe, (JMG bent bulldog) didn't clog.

We talked pipes and tobacco and will meet for another smoke when we both have time. A man completely immune to PAD and TAD. I feel so sorry for him
He could learn a lot joining CPS.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am
I only have three pipes. I would only have one had it not been for an awesome Secret Santa this past Christmas. I smoke my pipe almost daily now that the weather has backed off here in Missouri. Tuttle gave me that pipe I believe it was 5 years ago and I have only cleaned it once. I don't have a cellar either. I will get one tin or one pouch and puff it until its gone before I make another purchase. That will change soon. Me and my wife are finally out of debt and cigar season was really killing my pipe tobacco budget. Pipe tobacco goes twenty times the distance at the same price of a one-time cigar.

EDIT: If this was a stranded on an island thread I would take my only three...... I would leave the cobs at home.... for the children.
No PAD or TAD at Jesters house...Good on ya
I was on e-bay last night and my wife walked by and suggested that I don't need another pipe/fly rod/fly reel/knife/watch or what ever I was looking for...she so pretty...
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am

He could learn a lot joining CPS.
:pipe2:
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Looks like you have some wonderful conversations in your future, BH.

I went 20 years, absolutely immune to both PAD and TAD. Two pipes worked just fine for me, along with two tobaccos. I was lucky that both of my early acquisitions were great smokers - a Comoy's bulldog and a Jobey billiard.

A few years ago, while I was smoking with my son, I casually asked how many pipes he had. He said, "Twenty something." The following conversations probably went a bit like the ones you have coming with your colleague, except I was the "colleague."

Then something snapped.
A couple of years ago.

Only dramatic changes in our budget recently got the PAD under control, but I'm still susceptible to a good sale on tobacco.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:08 pm

Back in the day, most pipesmokers had just a few--often capped at a 7 pipe set. Tobacconists made their money selling tobacco. Even when I started in 1993, a lb of 1Q cost $6.30 and sold for $14.95. Pipe shops counted their strength by how many pound-a-month customers they had. That changed in the late 1990's when tbe margin for tobacco shrank so we started trying to sell more pipes to each customer.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Co-worker showed up for the lunch time smoke with a new Peterson Bulldog with a silver band. He said it was my fault and that I am a very bad influence on him. I told him, "...you are welcome". He also for the first time smoked a bowl of the tobacco I was smoking, Pilots Blend. He liked it...I may have awakened the monster... :cheese:

By the way I was smoking the Teipen Lovat.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm
Co-worker showed up for the lunch time smoke with a new Peterson Bulldog with a silver band. He said it was my fault and that I am a very bad influence on him. I told him, "...you are welcome". He also for the first time smoked a bowl of the tobacco I was smoking, Pilots Blend. He liked it...I may have awakened the monster... :cheese:

A Teipen Lovat?
In front of a man with a budding case of PAD?

You are a bad man.

1) Pray for forgiveness
2) Send the Tiepen to me
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
:joy: :bacon: :cheese: :taco:
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 pm

This one
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:33 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

A Teipen Lovat?

You are a bad man.

1) Pray for forgiveness
2) Send the Tiepen to me
I will do one of those...I think #1...sorry DP the pipe has to stay with me.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

A Teipen Lovat?

You are a bad man.

1) Pray for forgiveness
2) Send the Tiepen to me
Dang.
Well, it was worth a try.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:41 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

A Teipen Lovat?

You are a bad man.

1) Pray for forgiveness
2) Send the Tiepen to me
Dang.
Well, it was worth a try.
Its the biggest pipe I have and it is perfect for an hour of contemplative smoking on the patio after a long day. After looking at the picture I may be off about the shape. Lumberman? Liverpool?
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Long oval shank + Tapered stem = Canadian
Long round shank + Tapered stem = Liverpool

Can't tell from the photo.

But it's a Real beauty!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

It's a Liverpool but you can call it whatever you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 am

SlowToke wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm
It's a Liverpool but you can call it whatever you like. Image

I called it Francis. Not sure why.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 am
SlowToke wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm
It's a Liverpool but you can call it whatever you like. Image

I called it Francis. Not sure why.
You were very kind to let it go to a new home. I am grateful and honored to have it to smoke.
Scott ( aka - Thor )