Unacceptable Factory Pipe Flaws

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Unacceptable Factory Pipe Flaws

Post by SlowToke » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:27 pm

My new Stanwell Army Mount has an apparent issue. Thought you guys might enjoy this.https://www.facebook.com/wayne.teipen/v ... 653614769/

So, I was smoking it last evening and noticed some black liquid oozing from the shank. I started wiping it away only to reveal a large flaw in the briar. I wiped out what I could then used a dental pick to remove the rest of the "fill" only to find it goes all the way to the airway.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Unacceptable Factory Pipe Flaws

Post by JimVH » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

I'd be uptight, too. That should have been thrown in the BBQ wood heap.

That link is down, by the way.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm

It's not that rare. I have a couple of pipes that do this. They're fine smokers. What do you think tar is for? Self healing. One is hand made so it's not just factories. It tells us that they do not do a pressure test on the airway in service of detecting quality problems. They don't smoke them either. And why would they? The more interesting case are pipes in which the drilling isn't complete. The airway is not continuous end to end. You might think they would test the draw. Probably not. I'm also aware of at least one pipe with the lower stummel drilled so badly that the tenon occluded the airway when fully inserted. There are some in which the briar is foul tasting. The maker may be unaware of that too. Some are fatal, some are self healing, and some are fixable and funny.

We should track all of these little treats.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm
It's not that rare. I have a couple of pipes that do this. They're fine smokers. What do you think tar is for? Self healing. One is hand made so it's not just factories. It tells us that they do not do a pressure test on the airway in service of detecting quality problems. They don't smoke them either. And why would they? The more interesting case are pipes in which the drilling isn't complete. The airway is not continuous end to end. You might think they would test the draw. Probably not. I'm also aware of at least one pipe with the lower stummel drilled so badly that the tenon occluded the airway when fully inserted. There are some in which the briar is foul tasting. The maker may be unaware of that too. Some are fatal, some are self healing, and some are fixable and funny.

The flaw in and of itself isn't entirely unacceptable although I'd never sell a pipe with a flaw like this in it. A flaw that big goes in the burn pile. What's unacceptable to me is that they use a substandard fill material.
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:56 pm
Rusty wrote:

The flaw in and of itself isn't entirely unacceptable although I'd never sell a pipe with a flaw like this in it. A flaw that big goes in the burn pile. What's unacceptable to me is that they use a substandard fill material.
Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.
Phil is going sense this slur. What was it... Tinted neanderthal bone dust in AC glue?

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Rusty wrote:

The one Peterson that I own is like this; has a bad airway. Not to mention the annoying p-lip. The p-lip itself is a flaw.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:52 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 pm
Rusty wrote:

The one Peterson that I own is like this; has a bad airway. Not to mention the annoying p-lip. The p-lip itself is a flaw.
Up until a minute ago, I thought you were a fountain of truth and light. I was heartbroken. Then I realized what I'd think if my one exemplar of a pipe manufacturer was a bum specimen. Then I remembered you don't like p-lips and I was sad again. Then I realized everybody's teeth are different and I got over it.

I'm watching you, though. :D
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:52 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Up until a minute ago, I thought you were a fountain of truth and light. I was heartbroken. Then I realized what I'd think if my one exemplar of a pipe manufacturer was a bum specimen. Then I remembered you don't like p-lips and I was sad again. Then I realized everybody's teeth are different and I got over it.

Perhaps it's my one flaw, that to me the p-lip is a flaw. Perhaps one day I'll get an expert to take a look at my flawed Peterson so I can enjoy it.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I figured he meant that it has all of the problems I mentioned plus a p-lip. You have to wonder at the injustice of this. It must be incredibly rare for all of those problems, plus a p-lip, to occur in one pipe. At least he's crystal clear about his preferences even in the tremendous onslaught of flaws.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 pm
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I figured he meant that it has all of the problems I mentioned plus a p-lip. You have to wonder at the injustice of this. It must be incredibly rare for all of those problems, plus a p-lip, to occur in one pipe. At least he's crystal clear about his preferences even in the tremendous onslaught of flaws.
I'm on his side! For my teeth, the p-lip hangs just so behind my left eye tooth. For someone else's teeth, might be damnably uncomfortable.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I'm on his side! For my teeth, the p-lip hangs just so behind my left eye tooth. For someone else's teeth, might be damnably uncomfortable.
I've always enjoyed them. It turns out that there is more than one P-lip. The more expensive System Deluxe and House pipes have a wider p-lip, on the S stems, that is quite different and somewhat luxurious compared to the almost peg-like standard p-lip. The first time I experienced a std p-lip I thought of a peg-leg on a pirate and thought the pipe is a perfect fit and of course it would slip into that missing tooth gap in his grin. Aye matey.... To the devil drink a toast. We'll glut the hold with cups of gold. And we'll feed the sea with ghosts.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I've always enjoyed them. It turns out that there is more than one P-lip. The more expensive System Deluxe and House pipes have a wider p-lip, on the S stems, that is quite different and somewhat luxurious compared to the almost peg-like standard p-lip. The first time I experienced a std p-lip I thought of a peg-leg on a pirate and thought the pipe is a perfect fit and of course it would slip into that missing tooth gap in his grin. Aye matey.... To the devil drink a toast. We'll glut the hold with cups of gold. And we'll feed the sea with ghosts.
Yes, to your correct figuring. Off-hand, I'd compare my one p-lip to stair treads that are too narrow and too short. Your stride is too long to take one stair-step at a time, and too short to take two or more steps per stride.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:29 pm
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Yes, to your correct figuring. Off-hand, I'd compare my one p-lip to stair treads that are too narrow and too short. Your stride is too long to take one stair-step at a time, and too short to take two or more steps per stride.
Irish steps, built by the English, and serviced by maniacal canucks (they dress them in snow). Deadly. Let's gift wrap it and send it to the yanks!

Because of the incredibly low odds of finding another pipe with all those flaws serially occurring in one pipe as if the assembly line stopped while demons did their work... I'd suggest you're probably immunized against a repeat. Now of course nature has no memory but for you that's a good thing.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Irish steps, built by the English, and serviced by maniacal canucks (they dress them in snow). Deadly. Let's gift wrap it and send it to the yanks!

Because of the incredibly low odds of finding another pipe with all those flaws serially occurring in one pipe as if the assembly line stopped while demons did their work... I'd suggest you're probably immunized against a repeat. Now of course nature has no memory but for you that's a good thing.
So you're saying that I have that going for me.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:58 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

So you're saying that I have that going for me.
Could be worse, right?

I'd be cheesed about that Stanwell.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:53 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 pm
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Perhaps it's my one flaw, that to me the p-lip is a flaw. Perhaps one day I'll get an expert to take a look at my flawed Peterson so I can enjoy it.
My advice would be to sell it. That's what I did with all but a couple of my Peterson's because they were so poorly drilled. Then again, take my advice with a grain of salt. I've recommended Stanwell's as the best quality factory pipe to countless people.
Wayne Teipen

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:45 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:53 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 pm
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Rusty wrote:

My advice would be to sell it. That's what I did with all but a couple of my Peterson's because they were so poorly drilled. Then again, take my advice with a grain of salt. I've recommended Stanwell's as the best quality factory pipe to countless people.
Thanks, that's good advice, but I'll keep it. Perhaps some day I'll mess with it to try to make it better. But until then it gives me something to gripe about, although I really love it's looks. Besides, I bought it from a cps-er to help finance his honeymoon and I think it'd be bad luck and in poor taste to not hang on to it.