Acceptable Pipe Flaws

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Acceptable Pipe Flaws

Post by Jocose » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Acceptable Pipe Flaws.

I don't mind sand pits or any other flaws in a piece of Briar.

Unlike most of the CPS membership, I am severely flawed.

Most of my favorite pipes are flawed too, in some manner.

Jesus came to save "The flawed" and I'm the most flawed among men.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Re: Acceptable Pipe Flaws

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Formerly smoked by Hugo.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

What are examples of acceptable pipe flaws and why are they flaws?

My pipes are all perfect (except those that are not functional at all & have been set aside for repair) when compared against the purpose for which they exist. And btw their smoker is too in the same context. 8)

We're talking about a very restricted set of activities and objects. Let me suggest that flaw is not even evident because it can only be a deviation from an arbitrary framework that has no operational relevance to their purpose and the way they fulfill that purpose. Further, I think this is true for others here. That does not exclude the case that some of you and your pipes may be deeply flawed. :lol:
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

My pipes are all perfect (except those that are not functional at all & have been set aside for repair) when compared against the purpose for which they exist. And btw their smoker is too in the same context. 8)

We're talking about a very restricted set of activities and objects. Let me suggest that flaw is not even evident because it can only be a deviation from an arbitrary framework that has no operational relevance to their purpose and the way they fulfill that purpose. Further, I think this is true for others here.
I'm talking aesthetics. Any custom pipe I've commissioned I've asked the maker to leave any natural blemishes.

I've not (yet) experienced an outward blemish that is beyond a fix or beyond repair.

I prefer an natural or an non-rusticated finish if possible.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:51 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

We're talking about a very restricted set of activities and objects. Let me suggest that flaw is not even evident because it can only be a deviation from an arbitrary framework that has no operational relevance to their purpose and the way they fulfill that purpose. Further, I think this is true for others here.
I'm talking aesthetics. Any custom pipe I've commissioned I've asked the maker to leave any natural blemishes.

I've not (yet) experienced an outward blemish that is beyond a fix or beyond repair.

I prefer an natural or an non-rusticated finish if possible.
Your subject, aesthetics, is non-functional and has an arbitrary framework that is irrelevant. You are suggesting that one acts on the aesthetics. So it has a an activity and isn't non-functional. One man's blemish is another man's perfection. So what is fix or repair? You're just transforming it under an arbitrary set of values that is unspecified here. There are many other frameworks with other values in which your fix or repair is unnecessary and goes in the wrong direction.

Why not establish the aesthetic framework and its values? State them. Any single statement of them is a flaw and imperfection. It's just a bias. But you've already confessed to being imperfect so go ahead.

Do I need to tell you that you will change your mind and be assimilated? :lol:
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:13 pm

I, too, am a freak, Jo. Maybe that's why I like you so much.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.