Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24948
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm
This is your thread Goose, so you can do with it what you wish, but I think perhaps you titled it incorrectly. Or your intention has wandered since then. Clarification is in order. Do you want to see our favorite pictures of pipes or pictures of our favorite pipes? 'Cause I gotta tell ya, that picture of your pipe in progress is not all that endearing or artistic. I'n not commenting on the pipe - I'm sure it'll be a nice one - but the photograph itself.
I dunno... the birth of a pipe that he's going to enjoy. Most pipe smokers rarely see that for any of their pipes. I've never seen that. I think I'm with Goose on this one. It's like an ultra sound of your baby in the womb.

I understand that pipe makers do see that often enough that it has little appeal but that doesn't devalue the experience for the rest of us. I understood exactly what it was when I saw it and I understand the appeal. It does qualify as a favourite picture of that pipe. The picture will live on as it is. The pipe will become something more.

Do you think this is encouraging posting pics of blocks of briar and ebonite rod?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19244
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm
Do you think this is encouraging posting pics of blocks of briar and ebonite rod?
Why stop there when we go even further back in time to the Erica Arborea plant itself?

Here's a pipe in the works. Well, technically, it's still a bush on a mountainside in Italy, but someday it's root will be a pipe.
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14569
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 pm

So we should define first principles.

Does a partially finished stummel, standing alone, constitute a pipe. If not, what is it? If it does, then clearly a picture of a partially finished stummel qualifies under the plain reading of the thread title.

Also, first person to post Assasin's Kittens loses.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24948
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm
Do you think this is encouraging posting pics of blocks of briar and ebonite rod?
Why stop there when we go even further back in time to the Erica Arborea plant itself?

Here's a pipe in the works. Well, technically, it's still a bush on a mountainside in Italy, but someday it's root will be a pipe.
Image
You can imagine zooming out .... an entire grove of living pipes ... pre-contact!

The bounty of Gaia.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14569
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:23 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm
Do you think this is encouraging posting pics of blocks of briar and ebonite rod?
Why stop there when we go even further back in time to the Erica Arborea plant itself?

Here's a pipe in the works. Well, technically, it's still a bush on a mountainside in Italy, but someday it's root will be a pipe.
Image
You can imagine zooming out .... an entire grove of living pipes ... pre-contact!
Are you smoking some now?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24948
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:23 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm
Do you think this is encouraging posting pics of blocks of briar and ebonite rod?
Why stop there when we go even further back in time to the Erica Arborea plant itself?

Here's a pipe in the works. Well, technically, it's still a bush on a mountainside in Italy, but someday it's root will be a pipe.
Image
You can imagine zooming out .... an entire grove of living pipes ... pre-contact!
Are you smoking some now?
Yep. I raided the cellar for some 2006 Xmas Cheer and I have put leaf, pipe, and fire together.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14569
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:23 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm
Do you think this is encouraging posting pics of blocks of briar and ebonite rod?
Why stop there when we go even further back in time to the Erica Arborea plant itself?

Here's a pipe in the works. Well, technically, it's still a bush on a mountainside in Italy, but someday it's root will be a pipe.
Image
You can imagine zooming out .... an entire grove of living pipes ... pre-contact!
Are you smoking some now?
Yep. I raided the cellar for some 2006 Xmas Cheer and I have put leaf, pipe, and fire together.
Finished pipe or stummel? I don't care about the definition, you see. Like you, I think a pipe in progress qualifies as a picture of one of Goose's future favorite pipes--a large bent brandy fashioned by a friend.

By the way, must thank you for convincing me to give a more in depth try of the McClelland lineup. Really enjoying the 40th Anniversary mixture I'm smoking my way through at the moment.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13689
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Cleon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 am

Image
I thought this looked nice. Turns out, the crease in the top of a hat can make a pretty good pipe holder.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 am
Image
I thought this looked nice. Turns out, the crease in the top of a hat can make a pretty good pipe holder.
That's a great photo, Cleon.
Awfully nice pipe rack!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4714
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 am
Image
I thought this looked nice. Turns out, the crease in the top of a hat can make a pretty good pipe holder.
That's a great photo, Cleon.
Awfully nice pipe rack!
That is a nice photo. You must have quite a good camera, Cleon.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4714
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:30 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm
This is your thread Goose, so you can do with it what you wish, but I think perhaps you titled it incorrectly. Or your intention has wandered since then. Clarification is in order. Do you want to see our favorite pictures of pipes or pictures of our favorite pipes? 'Cause I gotta tell ya, that picture of your pipe in progress is not all that endearing or artistic. I'n not commenting on the pipe - I'm sure it'll be a nice one - but the photograph itself.
I dunno... the birth of a pipe that he's going to enjoy. Most pipe smokers rarely see that for any of their pipes. I've never seen that. I think I'm with Goose on this one. It's like an ultra sound of your baby in the womb.

I understand that pipe makers do see that often enough that it has little appeal but that doesn't devalue the experience for the rest of us. I understood exactly what it was when I saw it and I understand the appeal. It does qualify as a favourite picture of that pipe. The picture will live on as it is. The pipe will become something more.

Do you think this is encouraging posting pics of blocks of briar and ebonite rod?
What he said.

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 am
Image
I thought this looked nice. Turns out, the crease in the top of a hat can make a pretty good pipe holder.
That's a great photo, Cleon.
Awfully nice pipe rack!
That is a nice photo. You must have quite a good camera, Cleon.
I must confess, I'm also moved by the vintage HP calculator in the upper left-hand corner.
RPN, I presume.
I swear by the HP32SII I've been using for decades.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13689
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Cleon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am
Cleon wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 am
Image
I thought this looked nice. Turns out, the crease in the top of a hat can make a pretty good pipe holder.
That's a great photo, Cleon.
Awfully nice pipe rack!
That is a nice photo. You must have quite a good camera, Cleon.
I must confess, I'm also moved by the vintage HP calculator in the upper left-hand corner.
RPN, I presume.
I swear by the HP32SII I've been using for decades.
That thing is 23 years old. I love it. It's hard for me to using anything other than an RPN calculator. Once you get used to them, there's no turning back.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:37 pm

I posted this on the Mining for Petes thread for the Peterson fans among us and thought I might post it here as well - kinda like the photo; love the pipe!

Image

Big game season has begun here. I guess I grabbed my hunting boots and got the .243 out of the safe for nostalgia's sake.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4714
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:09 pm

More info on this one later

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14569
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:09 pm
More info on this one later

Image
In which thread?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4714
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:09 pm
More info on this one later

Image
In which thread?
Neither
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14569
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:09 pm
More info on this one later

Image
In which thread?
Neither
Intriguing! Beautiful pipe,too. Love the stem.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4248
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm

It's that time of year . . .

Image

1992 Mark Tinsky walnut contrast-stained, bent Dublin.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4714
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:53 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm
It's that time of year . . .

Image

1992 Mark Tinsky walnut contrast-stained, bent Dublin.
The man lives in Tinsky heaven!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Post Reply