Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Your Favorite Pictures Of Pipes

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Whats become my favorite pipe, a bent Pipa Croci True Scoop. It was an estate pipe. This was directly after I refurbished it...

I sure wish I could find some more affordable pipes like this one. She is one sweet smokin' babe.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Rusty . . .

Yes, these pipes were photographed either just after refurbishing or when new.

But I do take care of my gear - most especially, guns, bamboo fly rods and antique fly reels, but pipes as well. They show normal wear, but not abuse. It's the way I was brought up.

You can post favorite photos of your pipes. Choose your own props, or not.
Last edited by durangopipe on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:54 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:34 pm
No, Goose. They're all my own photos.

Photographing my pipes is as much of a hobby for me as collecting and smoking them. I almost always photograph an estate pipe as soon as I'm done refurbishing it and a new pipe before it's smoked. Often, the props included are from other favorite pastimes like fishing and hunting.

Here are a few more . . .

Pre-Cadogan Comoy's bent apple

Pre-Cadogan Comoy's blasted billiard

Ropp horn-stem Liverpool

Stanwell Sterling 109

Stanwell Trio 95

Viprati Cherrywood POTY 2013
What do you smoke in them? They look completely unused. Like pristine models. Now if they're just props for fishing gear pictures then you can say so. I think they're gorgeous. But they show no signs of SMOKING. Show us your down & dirty used pipes whose beauty is mated with bruises, tar, rim damage, and bite marks. C'mon. I wanna see them with ash and cake crawling up the bowl. I wanna sense from the pic that they're icky stinkers to everybody but you. We want to see the frail but heroic human side of your pipes. You've shown the fishing gear models. We understand. They're beautiful but just models. It's ok.

I hate to ask but ... has any of that fishing gear been used? Those are fishing catalog pics. Come clean. How about the table?

Where is the used stuff that resembles you? Aging with grace but showing signs of heavy use and age. It's still going but the mileage shows. You're not 18 or 20 yo and you don't look like that. The real pipes don't either.
You must have posted your questions the same time as his. DP wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
I almost always photograph an estate pipe as soon as I'm done refurbishing it and a new pipe before it's smoked. Often, the props included are from other favorite pastimes like fishing and hunting.
Ok. I worship you guys as sanders, refinishers, and, polishers. But I wanna see what the smokers do. That is not the way our well smoked pipes look. Pristine rims. Are you kidding?
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Photographing my pipes is as much of a hobby for me as collecting and smoking them. I almost always photograph an estate pipe as soon as I'm done refurbishing it and a new pipe before it's smoked. Often, the props included are from other favorite pastimes like fishing and hunting.

Ropp horn-stem Liverpool

Stanwell Sterling 109

Stanwell Trio 95

What do you smoke in them? They look completely unused. Like pristine models. Now if they're just props for fishing gear pictures then you can say so. I think they're gorgeous. But they show no signs of SMOKING. Show us your down & dirty used pipes whose beauty is mated with bruises, tar, rim damage, and bite marks. C'mon. I wanna see them with ash and cake crawling up the bowl. I wanna sense from the pic that they're icky stinkers to everybody but you. We want to see the frail but heroic human side of your pipes. You've shown the fishing gear models. We understand. They're beautiful but just models. It's ok.

I hate to ask but ... has any of that fishing gear been used? Those are fishing catalog pics. Come clean. How about the table?

Where is the used stuff that resembles you? Aging with grace but showing signs of heavy use and age. It's still going but the mileage shows. You're not 18 or 20 yo and you don't look like that. The real pipes don't either.
durangopipe wrote:
I almost always photograph an estate pipe as soon as I'm done refurbishing it and a new pipe before it's smoked. Often, the props included are from other favorite pastimes like fishing and hunting.
Ok. I worship you guys as sanders, refinishers, and, polishers. But I wanna see what the smokers do. That is not the way our well smoked pipes look. Pristine rims. Are you kidding?
So post a photo, already.
Or sit in the bleachers and b****.

I posted some of my favorite pipe photos.
Post yours.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Oh, again:
durangopipe wrote:Photographing my pipes is as much of a hobby for me as collecting and smoking them. I almost always photograph an estate pipe as soon as I'm done refurbishing it and a new pipe before it's smoked. Often, the props included are from other favorite pastimes like fishing and hunting.
Photographed before they were smoked with props I like.
You don't have to like the same things. I rather suspect you don't.

Take a deep breath.
Count to ten.

We're friends here.
I'm not kidding.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 pm
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Ropp horn-stem Liverpool

Stanwell Sterling 109

Stanwell Trio 95

durangopipe wrote:

Post yours.
I'm not bitching. I'm shocked. It's dark and it's late. Tomorrow I'll post pics of some my pipes. We are friends but I can't imagine that your smoking pipes look pristine. I was hoping to see some pals not brand new retail queens.

You're telling me that your favourite pipe pics are of unsmoked pipes. Is that true? Do you not have any well used pals?
Those of you that have real smoked pipes that are pals post pics.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Ropp horn-stem Liverpool

Stanwell Sterling 109

Stanwell Trio 95

durangopipe wrote:

Post yours.
I'm not bitching. I'm shocked. It's dark and it's late. Tomorrow I'll post pics of some my pipes. We are friends but I can't imagine that your smoking pipes look pristine. I was hoping to see some pals not brand new retail queens.

You're telling me that your favourite pipe pics are of unsmoked pipes. Is that true? Do you not have any well used pals?
The pipes are valuable to me, and I care for them. That includes not letting them become "well used pals."

Now, I already know what you are thinking. You are going to bring up the fact that I dry my stummels in the arid Arizona sun, and that that is pipe abuse. I rather think that that is better than letting a pipe rim blacken with char.

One can help avoid blackening a rim by wetting it before lighting the pipe, and making part of enjoying a pipe, caring for it's appearance.

But you already knew that. Why are you debating it?.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:21 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Ropp horn-stem Liverpool

Stanwell Sterling 109

Stanwell Trio 95

durangopipe wrote:

Post yours.

The pipes are valuable to me, and I care for them. That includes not letting them become "well used pals."

Now, I already know what you are thinking. You are going to bring up the fact that I dry my stummels in the arid Arizona sun, and that that is pipe abuse. I rather think that that is better than letting a pipe rim blacken with char.

One can help avoid blackening a rim by wetting it before lighting the pipe, and making part of enjoying a pipe, caring for it's appearance.

But you already knew that. Why are you debating it?.
It's a matter of taste, Goose. I agree that an as new pipe is beautiful. But to me, so is one that has become mine. And it's hard to believe that an outdoorsman like Steve doesn't have one fishing pipe with a three quarters chewed through stem and a rim blackened on one side from lighting it one handed with a rod in the other. I'm beginning to believe he's just a mite fancier than his old clients. :D

There are also those among us whose fountain pens always blot and whose watches always get overwound, you know.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 am

My understanding of this thread was that it was intended to be about favorite pictures of pipes, not pictures of favorite pipes, so I posted photographs that I liked.

That being said, I have a pipe that I carried in my tackle bag in a pipe pouch for years, almost always smoking it at the end of a day of fishing and occasionally, but not very often, clenching while fishing.

Because it was a gift from my son and had become somewhat precious to me, I recently replaced it in my tackle bag with another pipe, cleaned it up and placed it in a rack with other old Comoy's pipes that I've acquired.

It has some tooth marks on the stem. The vulcanite shows a little oxidation, but most of that was removed when I cleaned it up. And yes, I reamed it down to a thin cake and even cleaned up what char had accumulated on the rim.

It's primary indication of age appears in the flaws now visible in the briar where fills have fallen out.

I'll photograph it today with a similarly well-used reel - my first British Hardy, a Princess model purchased after years of wanting one when I was finally able to afford one. They're about the same age, both the pipe and the reel being a little over 20 years old, and both being very well-used.

But I am hoping to see whatever interpretation of Your favorite pictures of pipes others might wish to share.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 am
My understanding of this thread was that it was intended to be about favorite pictures of pipes, not pictures of favorite pipes
That's right. That's why I phrased it that way. Favorite pictures of pipes

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 pm
durangopipe wrote:
My understanding of this thread was that it was intended to be about favorite pictures of pipes, not pictures of favorite pipes
What if my favorite pictures of pipes are pictures of my favorite pipes? What if I can't separate the concepts? Would I need to have it explained to me using italic font?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm
Goose55 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
What if my favorite pictures of pipes are pictures of my favorite pipes? What if I can't separate the concepts? Would I need to have it explained to me using italic font?
I doubt it . . .
That was mostly in response to Rusty's comments.

Those comments sometimes sound to me more like accusations than comments, hence the replies.
We've discussed it by PM. We're friends. All is well.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm

But here are some photos of my favorite pipe (and my favorite reel), hickies and all, without a pristine rim and not a catalogue photograph. I've been smoking this pipe for over 20 years, and cared for it as best I could.

This is the pipe that began my pipe smoking journey. My son gave it to me, I imagine, so he'd have some company when he smokes!

Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:59 pm

And a favorite photograph of three more favorite pipes, all old Orliks.

A pipe thread about pipes!
Let's see more photographs.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:47 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
I doubt it . . .

Those comments sometimes sound to me more like accusations than comments, hence the replies.
I had no intention of insulting. I hope people read all of my missives in a goofy voice. I love how well you care for your pipes. I love my crusty ones, too. I don't think there's a better or worse, just that some have higher resale values.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:47 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
I doubt it . . .

I had no intention of insulting. I hope people read all of my missives in a goofy voice. I love how well you care for your pipes. I love my crusty ones, too. I don't think there's a better or worse, just that some have higher resale values.
All is truly well, Hugo.
I'm just hoping others have photos to post.

If this were the confessions thread I would confess to a love of pipe porn.
I guess I just did.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:37 pm

I am the worst photographer in the world. Still, here is my Ser Jacopo Picta 04 Magritte Ruby complete with rim cake, at repose on an old shop cloth. For Goose, I have added the "Arizona" filter on imagur. I need a better camera!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Here is my old Irish Seconds:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Beauties,UB!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:51 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:47 pm
Here is my old Irish Seconds:
I love the graining on that pipe. Must be a good smoker.