Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

G.L. Pease's Method For Pipe "Sweetening"

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 pm

From Pipedia,.....

"G.L. Pease also offers a more effective method:

"I reamed the pipe almost back to bare wood, pre-heated my electric oven to 220°F, and turned it off. After removing the pipe's stem, I filled the bowl with activated charcoal pellets purchased from the local aquarium supply shop. Placing the pipe on a soft towel in the oven, I left it to sit while the oven cooled - about an hour... No perceptible difference was detected.

A couple of conversations with Trever Talbert, friend, pipesmith extraordinaire, and constant experimenter with briar, provided an important piece of information; briar heats very slowly. He explained that it could take several hours for a piece of briar's temperature gradient to reach equilibrium with the ambient temperature. Clearly, my pipe's short stint in the Sauna was insufficient to do the job.

I reheated the oven, this time setting the thermostat to 180°F, knowing from my tests that the temperature in my empty oven would vary between about 180°F and a bit over 200°F, well below the temperature at which the briar would scorch. Stemless and empty, I placed the bowl on its towel in the oven, on the upper rack, far away from the source of radiant heat, where it would be left to sit for three hours.

After removing the now hot pipe, I filled the bowl with the activated charcoal, and placed it back in the oven for an additional three hours. When the pipe was finally removed, and emptied of the charcoal, there was absolutely no trace of its prior scent ... After allowing the pipe to cool overnight, the stem was refitted, the bowl filled with a favored blend, delicate enough to allow any vestigial flavors from the pipe to come through clearly. I sat down to experience the fruits of my labors. Success! Only at the very bottom of the bowl was a slight hint of the previous aroma, and this disappeared completely after a couple of smokes."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: G.L. Pease's Method For Pipe "Sweetening"

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Oh no..... 8O
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:05 pm

I miss Goose.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:32 pm
Oh no..... 8O
It's G.L. Pease. You like G.L. Pease. His method is a super intensified version of my resting my stummels in the Arizona sun. I still like my method better. It is 100% solar!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:35 pm

No dawn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Pepik wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:35 pm
No dawn?
Dawn, for me, is reserved only for soaking stems. But you knew that.

But, oh, there was a this girl in High School named Dawn. She had a way about her that made me weak at the knees.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16 pm
Rusty wrote:
Oh no..... 8O
It's G.L. Pease. You like G.L. Pease. His method is a super intensified version of my resting my stummels in the Arizona sun. I still like my method better. It is 100% solar!
I suppose if one is buying stinky estate pipes it may be an improvement (in some ways lower risk) on salt & alcohol. But once is already enough.

It's not something the Dirty Pipe Club would approve of with our own pipes. Dirt is flavour. That's the mantra. A pipe that sings along with the tobacco is a happy pipe and it makes for a happy pipe smoker. The alternative is the Dawn of the Dead club. Ugh.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Pipe.

Tobacco.

Put them together with a little fire and a tamper and you've got pipe sweetness.

Don't over think it.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 am

I vaguely feel like this was discussed wayback and I wrote something about the science of this not making much sense, namely in heating activated charcoal it releases what it has bound. Thats why you never pour hot water into a Brita or similar filter
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:52 am

Thoth wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 am
I vaguely feel like this was discussed wayback and I wrote something about the science of this not making much sense, namely in heating activated charcoal it releases what it has bound. Thats why you never pour hot water into a Brita or similar filter
Yes, but what temperatures apply for desorption? The wikipedia article on activated charcoal seems to have much higher temps for reactivating activated charcoal, which is really what you're talking about.

I wouldn't bother with removing flavour from my pipes and I never bought well used estate pipes so I'm sort of skeptical of all these processes. Goose, OTOH, has a real obsession about cleaning so he's always looking for other ways to remove all remnants of smoking.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:05 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Pipe.
Tobacco.
Put them together with a little fire and a tamper and you've got pipe sweetness.
Don't over think it.
Much more than that and it seems to defeat the purpose. Sometimes I go to some trouble to smoke my pipe and I feel like I may be doing it wrong.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:36 pm

I've only done salt and alcohol on one or two pipes, I've just never found it necessary, honestly, I don't even use pipe cleaners all that often. I ream my pipes once a year or less and I run cleaners through every 5-10 smokes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: G.L. Pease's Method For Pipe

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:41 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:36 pm
I've only done salt and alcohol on one or two pipes, I've just never found it necessary, honestly, I don't even use pipe cleaners all that often. I ream my pipes once a year or less and I run cleaners through every 5-10 smokes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This frood knows the location of his towel.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Oh no..... 8O
I suppose if one is buying stinky estate pipes it may be an improvement (in some ways lower risk) on salt & alcohol. But once is already enough.

It's not something the Dirty Pipe Club would approve of with our own pipes. Dirt is flavour. That's the mantra. A pipe that sings along with the tobacco is a happy pipe and it makes for a happy pipe smoker. The alternative is the Dawn of the Dead club. Ugh.
G.L. Pease, a close knit member of the tobacco & pipe inner circle seems to think the method works.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Oh no..... 8O

G.L. Pease, a close knit member of the tobacco & pipe inner circle seems to think the method works.
There is no inner circle. It's the intent that is wrong. And I don't know whether it works. Thoth seems to think it won't work because the heat causes regeneration of the activated charcoal (ie desorption, it releases whatever is bound to the charcoal). It may be that the temperature isn't high enough to cause desorption in which case it might work. It's still the wrong thing to do to your own pipes.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Oh no..... 8O

There is no inner circle.
Of course there is. Most all occupations, vocations & trades have professional associations. Formal and/0r informal.

Al_S_
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Al_S_ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am

Rusty wrote:

Sure there is. It's the circle of space inside the ever-growing cake (also a circle) inside the pipe bowl (outter circle) that I insert the baccy into.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:01 pm

I think the heat may be fine with the briar, but what about the fills? I would think a heat session of 6 hours might leave the fills...well...fill-less.

I buy estate pipes...not a lot of them, not as many as Goose, but every one of my new old pipes get the salt treatment...not so much to rid the pipe of past tobacco ghosts, although that is a benefit, but to clean them. I know that they are not sanitized after the treatment, but a good reaming and salt treatment and the stem in a good hot water and Dawn soak and scrub is a good start over for my new old used pipe. As a result they are ready for my choice of tobacco and use.

I have only salt treated 2 of my pipes that were in my rotation...both were refurbish projects...one a rustication after it lost a couple of fills and the other an experiment with bare briar and smoking to color the pipe, kind of like a meer.
Last edited by Bloodhound on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Al_S_ wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am
Rusty wrote:

Sure there is. It's the circle of space inside the ever-growing cake (also a circle) inside the pipe bowl (outter circle) that I insert the baccy into.
Do you see GL Pease in your pipe?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 am
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Oh no..... 8O

Of course there is. Most all occupations, vocations & trades have professional associations. Formal and/0r informal.
Pipe smokers do not necessarily belong to any organization. However, many of us will share information about pipes and tobaccos quite freely.

Perhaps I'm being unclear.... I don't know whether GL Pease's deodorizing process works. I've never needed one. Most pipe smokers don't with their own pipes. Once with used estate pipes is understandable. But with our own pipes it's unnecessary.