Post by Al_S_ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:15 pm
Al_S_ wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am
Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am

There is no inner circle.
Sure there is. It's the circle of space inside the ever-growing cake (also a circle) inside the pipe bowl (outter circle) that I insert the baccy into.
Do you see GL Pease in your pipe?
Some of his tobacco was. Until I smoked it, then it too added to cake buildup and a tightening of the inner circle.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: G.L. Pease's Method For Pipe "Sweetening"

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Al_S_ wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:13 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:15 pm
Al_S_ wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am
Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am

There is no inner circle.
Sure there is. It's the circle of space inside the ever-growing cake (also a circle) inside the pipe bowl (outter circle) that I insert the baccy into.
Do you see GL Pease in your pipe?
Some of his tobacco was. Until I smoked it, then it too added to cake buildup and a tightening of the inner circle.
Did he give it to you personally? If not then it was your tobacco; you bought it. He didn't even make it. But it might have been his brand.

My point is that we should be quite conservative with our pipes. You don't have to do this. You use your own judgement but for longest life and fewer problems I suggest being very conservative. The only moving part on most briar pipes is the stem/shank joint. Exercise it sparingly. It does wear. Refrain from pulling it apart if possible. Refrain from partially inserting stems and then using them that way. All these treatments to reduce flavours in the pipe are really a result of estate used pipes as a market. Other than that single application for a new estate pipe are they necessary?

Some pipe smokers are very particular about whether the pipe is as original vs. more aggressive restoring/refurbing which changes it to something else. So there is a difference between cleaning and redrilling, sanding and refinishing, etc. This is why replacement stems generally lower the value of the pipe too. Value may also depend upon the source of the replacement. All of this becomes more critical if and when you sell used pipes. I'm sure many aspiring pipe makers do modify pipes but it's not restoration anymore. If you become a famous pipe maker then people may want your modified pipes but otherwise it may lower the value of the pipe.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

EvilGoose55
Congregation
Congregation

Re: G.L. Pease's Method For Pipe "Sweetening"

Post by EvilGoose55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:30 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 am

This thread is a fitting place for sock puppets.