What is this pipe?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

What is this pipe?

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Watching the Denzel Washington movie, the Great Debaters. He smokes a nice pipe in it.

I wonder what kind of pipe it is. Not great shots online of it. I'll take some pics of my own when the movies over.

For now, any guesses?

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: What is this pipe?

Post by A_Morley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 pm

It's either a Peterson System or a Dr Grabow Omega. I'd err on the side of caution and say that it's a Grabow as a great many of them are made and they're easy for property masters and wardrobe departments to come by. I've seen Grabows in three separate productions I've been involved with in some way and have definitely seen them in films before.

It just might be a WDC Wellington, but I doubt it.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Wellington?
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:39 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 pm
Wellington?
Are you saying it might be a Wellington or asking what a Wellington is?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:39 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wellington?
Are you saying it might be a Wellington or asking what a Wellington is?
It might be a Wellington. I didn't see that we both posted at the same time.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Fudge. Of course I forgot to take a better picture before returning the movie.

I was guessing a Pete at first, too. Now I think all 3 could be possible. Hmmm

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm

The stem doesn't lookright, to me, to be a Pete or a Graybow. It looks like a Wellington stem.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm

UncleBob wrote:The stem doesn't lookright, to me, to be a Pete or a Graybow. It looks like a Wellington stem.
Baby Wellington?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:53 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm
UncleBob wrote:The stem doesn't lookright, to me, to be a Pete or a Graybow. It looks like a Wellington stem.
Baby Wellington?

Something like this:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I was thinking Wellington also based on the stem flare.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm offended by the word Wellington.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:47 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:23 pm
Very British. Upper Class. The Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley. Napoleon's nemesis. He was actually Anglo-Irish. He left us boots - Wellington Boots. In his day they were leather but now they're rubber. For the way we use them, better that they're rubber. Some claim he also left us Beef Wellington. It may be that it was named after him later. He also should be remembered for promoting Catholic equality in Britain. That was somewhat daring at the time and he was perhaps one of few politicians who could promote this. He was prime minister when he did this.

He and Viscount Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson actually met. That would have been interesting to see. The two of them are icons of British Battle commanders to this day.

From Wikipedia:
In September 1805, Major-General Wellesley was newly returned from his campaigns in India and was not yet particularly well-known to the public. He reported to the office of the Secretary for War to request a new assignment. In the waiting room he met Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, already a legendary figure after his victories at the Nile and Copenhagen, who was briefly in England after months chasing the French Toulon fleet to the West Indies and back. Some 30 years later, Wellington recalled a conversation that Nelson began with him which Wellesley found "almost all on his side in a style so vain and silly as to surprise and almost disgust me". Nelson left the room to inquire who the young general was and, on his return, switched to a very different tone, discussing the war, the state of the colonies, and the geopolitical situation as between equals. On this second discussion, Wellington recalled, "I don't know that I ever had a conversation that interested me more". This was the only time that the two men met; Nelson was killed at his great victory at Trafalgar just seven weeks later.
Did WDC want to suggest British in the Wellington pipes? Stanwell did it and they were of course Danish.
Quite possibly.

I've never seen one up close. They weren't distributed in Canada AFAIK. We had Peterson pipes - pitched as very Irish.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 pm

A_Morley wrote:
It's either a Peterson System or a Dr Grabow Omega. I'd err on the side of caution and say that it's a Grabow as a great many of them are made and they're easy for property masters and wardrobe departments to come by. I've seen Grabows in three separate productions I've been involved with in some way and have definitely seen them in films before.

It just might be a WDC Wellington, but I doubt it.
Those were the three possibilities I came up with as well.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:34 am

Wellington is my guess as well.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 am

Seriously, I was going with Wellington based on the second photo. Then I saw all the other response with the same suggestion, so I'll say it's a pretty good bet. I have a similar Wellington but it's about twice that size.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:57 am

I'm willing to retract my assertion that it was a Grabow Wellington based on the shape of the bowl and the thickness of the walls. I still think that a Peterson is a more likely choice than a Wellington.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:47 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:23 pm
Very British. Upper Class. The Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley. Napoleon's nemesis. He was actually Anglo-Irish. He left us boots - Wellington Boots. In his day they were leather but now they're rubber. For the way we use them, better that they're rubber. Some claim he also left us Beef Wellington. It may be that it was named after him later. He also should be remembered for promoting Catholic equality in Britain. That was somewhat daring at the time and he was perhaps one of few politicians who could promote this. He was prime minister when he did this.

He and Viscount Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson actually met. That would have been interesting to see. The two of them are icons of British Battle commanders to this day.

From Wikipedia:
In September 1805, Major-General Wellesley was newly returned from his campaigns in India and was not yet particularly well-known to the public. He reported to the office of the Secretary for War to request a new assignment. In the waiting room he met Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, already a legendary figure after his victories at the Nile and Copenhagen, who was briefly in England after months chasing the French Toulon fleet to the West Indies and back. Some 30 years later, Wellington recalled a conversation that Nelson began with him which Wellesley found "almost all on his side in a style so vain and silly as to surprise and almost disgust me". Nelson left the room to inquire who the young general was and, on his return, switched to a very different tone, discussing the war, the state of the colonies, and the geopolitical situation as between equals. On this second discussion, Wellington recalled, "I don't know that I ever had a conversation that interested me more". This was the only time that the two men met; Nelson was killed at his great victory at Trafalgar just seven weeks later.
Did WDC want to suggest British in the Wellington pipes? Stanwell did it and they were of course Danish.
Quite possibly.

I've never seen one up close. They weren't distributed in Canada AFAIK. We had Peterson pipes - pitched as very Irish.
I said I was offended. I did not say, copy and past crap from the interwebs on what I am offended by. And as a hint, it's about the damn boots. OK?
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Are you sure whiskey is your friend? Same time every night, my sane buddy checks out of normalcy. Does look like fun, though.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Ok somebody needs to find this movie and get me a better picture! :)

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:12 pm

This thread needs a poll.