What's The Deal With This Mastro de Paja Stem?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

What's The Deal With This Mastro de Paja Stem?

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:56 pm

I refurbed a Mastro de Paja lately, and the stem is the oddest thing I have yet seen. Anyone here know what all this is about in the tenon? This has got to be one of the most difficult stems to keep clean with all that?

What's it's purpose? :confused:

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: What's The Deal With This Mastro de Paja Stem?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Its a repair.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:59 pm
Its a repair.
Elaborate, o Bob of Specialized Knowledge. I have many like that. I always assumed it was for some condenser doohickey. Why would they repair it like that?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Its a repair.
Elaborate, o Bob of Specialized Knowledge. I have many like that. I always assumed it was for some condenser doohickey. Why would they repair it like that?
Well it looks like shoddy work. The pipemakers here will be better suited to give a more complete answer but it looks like the stummel was drilled a replaced. I sold a bunch of new Mastro pipes and I never saw any new ones from the factory like that so it looks like it was a poor repair job to me.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:50 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Its a repair.
Well it looks like shoddy work. The pipemakers here will be better suited to give a more complete answer but it looks like the stummel was drilled a replaced. I sold a bunch of new Mastro pipes and I never saw any new ones from the factory like that so it looks like it was a poor repair job to me.
I see. I'm not arguing, just suddenly curious. Why the channel? Looks like it would accept some form of gasket.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:50 pm
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Its a repair.
I see. I'm not arguing, just suddenly curious. Why the channel? Looks like it would accept some form of gasket.
The channel is a sign of poor mending. I suspect the repair person drilled out the broken remains leaving the channel. They could have matched the diameter better. But FredS would know better.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Its a repair.
A pipe that takes an O-ring. Thiokol or TWSBI.

I can't imagine why anyone would do that unless the end of the tenon actually is seated in the base of the mortise.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Its a repair.
The channel is a sign of poor mending. I suspect the repair person drilled out the broken remains leaving the channel. They could have matched the diameter better. But FredS would know better.
Well, today I learned something, Thanks, guys. I have at least four or five old pipes that look like that. Maybe a home job? Couldn't imagine paying for that.

And Goose, it's not as bad as you think. It won't gunk up exponentially. I speak from experience on that one.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:06 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Its a repair.
Well, today I learned something, Thanks, guys. I have at least four or five old pipes that look like that. Maybe a home job? Couldn't imagine paying for that.

And Goose, it's not as bad as you think. It won't gunk up exponentially. I speak from experience on that one.
They used to sell the tenons pre-fab and often with a differently sized air hole than the stem. You just drilled them out and glued a new one in. Jobey fixed this by making the tenons pre sized so you just unscrewed the broken one and screwed in a new one.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:48 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm
I have at least four or five old pipes that look like that.
Older pipes (GBD comes immediately to mind) seemed to often have something similar to Goose's example (i.e. a stepped-down tenon). There must've been some logic behind that. I'd always assumed that the supposition was that the step-down would discourage moisture collecting on the mortise walls from wicking into the draught-hole. Rusty would prolly know the real story, though.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks, guys. I am grateful.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:23 pm

It looks like the stepped down piece is a spacer for filter pipes for those that don't want to use a filter to me but Ser Jacopo doesn't make filter pipes do they? I've seen some factory pipes with the stepped down tenon. I always assumed it was an attempt to prevent moisture from getting in the stem and consequently in the smokers mouth kind of like a stinger. The tool marks on the face of the stem are suspicious. It's very possible that UB is right that it's a poor attempt at a tenon repair. It's possible the repair person refaced the stem but did a poor job of it. I've never heard of such tool marks on stem faces of new Ser Jacopo pipes.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Its a repair.
A pipe that takes an O-ring. Thiokol or TWSBI.

I can't imagine why anyone would do that unless the end of the tenon actually is seated in the base of the mortise.
Grand Slams took a leather o-ring. I had one intact, once.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 am

It's a mystery, Scooby.

I have a basket pipe with that sort of step (without the groove) on the end of the tenon. No idea what it's for. Like hugodrax, I left mine alone and it's pretty much gunked up the void space. I don't s'pect goose will do that.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:39 am

I have two Mastro de Paja pipes. The stems on both are magic. Best parts of the pipes.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 am

The purpose is to collect bakky shmegs that provides that oh so familiar, yet disgusting, bakky combustion juices that makes a little dottle into a super hero of gooeyness.

JimVH likes to wash those kinds of pipes out with a yard sprinkler.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 am

John-Boy wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:39 am
I have two Mastro de Paja pipes. The stems on both are magic. Best parts of the pipes.
Mastro de Paja means "Magic Stem" in French.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe